PDA

View Full Version : Jamis Aurora - all steel

KnottedYet
07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I just spent about 1 hour riding a Jamis Aurora. I fit a 50cm just fine.

I loved it. Felt like I should've hugged it goodbye when I left the shop. There is NOTHING to compare with a full steel frame. Lord, I miss steel!

Now I'm fretting over trying to finance a bike I really can't afford right now, or spending 1/4 the same amount to put drops on my Kona and change all the levers, etc.

Or just sitting tight until I have more money.

Uuuuurg!

greenmachine
07-29-2006, 01:50 PM

I loved it. Felt like I should've hugged it goodbye when I left the shop. There is NOTHING to compare with a full steel frame. Lord, I miss steel!

Now I'm fretting over trying to finance a bike I really can't afford right now, or spending 1/4 the same amount to put drops on my Kona and change all the levers, etc.

Uuuuurg!

I agree, there's nothing like the feel of steel! People ask me all the time, why I ride such a heavy bike and when am I going to get a titanium or carbon fiber. I tell them that I can't imagine loving any other bike better than mine. When I wear this one out, I'll have another one made...in steel...

Good Luck KnottedYet! If it's meant to be for you to have the Jamus, it will happen!

Judy

Kathi
07-29-2006, 02:12 PM
How much do you love the Kona frame? Think long and hard about the upgrade. It might make sense to tide you over until you can afford a new bike but for whatever reason you may be happier with the new bike now.

I have a Cannondale, my first small road bike, I loved her so I spent the money upgrading shifters, derailleur, cassete and put a carbon fork on her. A year later I bought a carbon frame because I was tired of being beaten to death by the harsh ride. I still have that bike, she's my trainer bike and the one my out of town friends ride.

Then 2 years ago I made changes to my cf bike. I have over 10k miles on it since the changes so it was money well spent, however, I'm not sure it was money well spent for the Cannondale.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

KnottedYet
07-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I kick myself for ever selling my steel Trek. The Jamis was dreamy, and a smaller frame than I would usually take.

The chickie at the shop said I might like a Surly Long Haul Trucker even more, but didn't have one in my size. And in my size the Surly is gonna have 650c wheels rather than 700c. She thought I wouldn't like the 650c's.

The geometry of the Jamis was lovely. Just lovely. Dunno if a Surly LHT would be lovelier.

Ideally I would keep my Kona as a borrower/commuter/rainyday bike, and use the steel for longer trips. When SKnot outgrows his (steel!) Trek 800 in a couple years I can give him the Kona.

I should just wait. Pay down my debts, leave the Kona alone, and wait. Dang. I'm not patient when in the grip of bike lust.

tulip
07-29-2006, 06:23 PM
I have to agree that steel bikes in general, and Jamis in particular, are wonderful to ride. I have a Jamis Coda Comp, which I THINK (but I'm not positive) is the same frame as the Aurora. The Coda is my commuting bike--it takes me everywhere. It's truly like riding butter--just smooth and wonderful!

I don't think that steel bikes are appreciably heavier than aluminum, at least when you get to a certain level. My steel (with carbon fork and seatstays) Luna is 18lbs. or something like that (without pedals). That's pretty darned light. Most of us, but not all, really wouldn't notice the difference in weight on our rides, anyways.

Knotted, if you really like the Aurora, is there a way you could sell your Kona and purchase the Aurora? Or maybe someone with a 50cm Aurora is selling theirs (and wants a Kona). Or trade it in for the Aurora and perhaps a little cash? There's gotta be some way to make this work!

KnottedYet
07-29-2006, 07:01 PM
The Kona was $400. The Jamis Aurora is $825.

The shop would give me $125 for the Kona on trade in. Ummm, no....

I think I will just have to wait. I can get a built up (bar end shifters, but I'd rather have downtube shifters) Surly LHT for $1,000. Aurora has Sora gruppo with brifters. If I can be patient, I might be able to find out if the LHT geometry is even better for me and if the 650c vs. 700c really makes a difference.

Keeping the Kona makes the most sense at this point, especially as SKnot will be needing a bigger bike one of these days.

I hate being patient....

Isn't she beautiful?

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_aurora.html

eofelis
07-29-2006, 08:37 PM
The chickie at the shop said I might like a Surly Long Haul Trucker even more, but didn't have one in my size. And in my size the Surly is gonna have 650c wheels rather than 700c. She thought I wouldn't like the 650c's.
The geometry of the Jamis was lovely. Just lovely. Dunno if a Surly LHT would be lovelier.

I ride all steel also.
I just love my Surly Pacer. The Pacer is the road bike. It's an old style road bike, I think of mine more as a sport touring bike. The Pacer takes 700c wheels in all sizes. The LHT takes 26"/650c wheels in sizes 54cm and smaller.

I also have an LHT.
The LHT is a dedicated touring frame, and it's a heavy bike. Mine (42cm) weighs about 30lbs! The Pacer weighs less, but it's not as light as the "racing bikes."

You might check out the Novara Randonee if there is an REI near you. It's a steel frame bike. Sometimes they have really good deals on them.

Bikingmomof3
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
The Kona was $400. The Jamis Aurora is $825.

Since I am up in the wee hours of the morning looking at cool bikes (read: not mine), I was wondering what style Kona you had. I would love to find one in the $400 price range. May I ask what you do not like about it?

Selkie
07-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm a steel girl as well. Carbon frames scare me (probably an unfounded fear, but one to which I admit, nonetheless). My Bianchi and Luna Eclipse are both steel and my yet-to-arrive Luna Orbit likewise is steel.

How heavy is the Jamis?

KnottedYet
07-30-2006, 02:44 AM
BMo3 - I love the Kona Dew for little trips (under 30 or so miles) for buzzing around town and commuting to work. On longer trips the jolts from the stiff aluminum frame are driving me nuts and the upright bars are torturing my hands. Nothing wrong with the Kona, mind you, just it doesn't match the use I'm trying to put it to.

MC - dunno the exact weight of the Jamis Aurora, but it was about the same as my Kona. Surprisingly light, actually. My next bike will be a loaded tourer, so I'm not terribly perturbed about weight; but the Jamis was light!

SP - I looked at the Randonee. Gotta love it when you tell the clerk at REI you'd like to see a Randonee but don't see one on the floor, and he searches through the computer and asks another clerk and then tells you they don't carry that brand!!!!! Hello? It's an REI bike! I did find one to look at. This year's style has a paint scheme "borrowed" from the Jamis line and gigantic tubes to make it look like the aluminum of the other Novara bikes. And I do mean silly huge diameter tubes!

Since I really can't be buying a bike right now (oh I hate to admit that!) I can wait until the 2007's in all the bikes I desire come out.

Bikingmomof3
07-30-2006, 07:18 AM
BMo3 - I love the Kona Dew for little trips (under 30 or so miles) for buzzing around town and commuting to work. On longer trips the jolts from the stiff aluminum frame are driving me nuts and the upright bars are torturing my hands. Nothing wrong with the Kona, mind you, just it doesn't match the use I'm trying to put it to.

Since I really can't be buying a bike right now (oh I hate to admit that!) I can wait until the 2007's in all the bikes I desire come out.

I was looking at the Kona Dew. I want a bike that will allow me to go on long rides, hills, touring, but not at too slow a pace. I am looking for a bike that will last a very, very, very long time. Did I make any sense? So, I really value input about the Kona Dew (This model because it was a reasonable price), because for me to try one oput it is a l-o-n-g drive and if it will not fit my needs or I will outgrow it, it is not worth my time or my money (which is preciously low right now-3 teens are expensive-yet worth it).
I am open to any and all suggestions. I just cannot put over $1,000 into a bike right now-I wish I could, but I cannot.

Bikingmomof3
07-30-2006, 07:26 AM

Uuuuurg!

I looked at this bike online, drooled over it, memorized the specs, and really like what I have seen and read. I could even possibly manage the price (DH does not think so, but I *could*), BUT for me to find a dealer near me, I need to travel hours away to even test one out. :(

What I have near me are: Cannodale, Trek, Giant, Specialized, GTR and Fuji-the last two; GTR and Fuji-I have not heard anything about them.

Ah, I actually dreamed about bikes last night as I spent hours upon hours looking, reading, comparing.

KnottedYet
07-30-2006, 08:03 AM
BMo3 - from a rider's standpoint, the Dew and the Aurora feel very similar in the geometry/handling. Mind you I was on a 50cm instead of a 53cm because I have a goofy neck and need to be more upright. As someone posted on another thread "when a bike fits, you will know." And I know both these fit me.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Dew for shorter rides and riding in bad weather. It is aluminum, and very sturdy. Won't rust. As the guy at my bike shop said, it's "bombproof". The components are fine. For $400 it is a very good bike. (the woman at the shop with the Aurora said my Dew was "more bike" than she likes to trade for, i.e. a good bike.) If I run over bumps and glass and other yuck, the bike just sails on. The ride is stable, not squirrelly. I don't feel like I've outgrown it, as it is still perfect for the purpose i bought it for. The saddle the Kona came with sucked, so plan to replace it.

Now i want to do some centuries. I want to do some of the longer organized rides like the Seattle To Portland and a ride from Seattle to Vancouver B.C. I know I want a full steel frame (no carbon fork or carbon seat stays.... full steel!). It has been tough to find one in my price range. I know the geometry I want is loaded touring. I'm looking at complete bikes, and frames that you have the shop add the components to. Buying a complete bike (like an Aurora) is cheaper, even if I cut corners on the frame build-up (like a Surly or Soma). Surly is owned by Quality Bicycle Parts, and they can give some good deals on complete bike kits for Surlys, as long as you buy the complete package.

The Aurora was $825. The components are "low end" Shimano Sora, which the shop said are gonna last just fine and cause me no trouble for the kind of riding I want to do. I felt so at home on that bike! A good steel frame could last a very long time if you take care of it. They can be repainted when you get bored with the color. (I've heard for around $175) The saddle on the Aurora sucked, so plan to replace it.

You said you don't want to spend over $1000. It really might be worth it to try an Aurora. And the Aurora can do just about everything the Kona does. If you want to buy one bike, and the Aurora appeals to you already, I'd say go try the Aurora first.

mimitabby
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
I know I want a full steel frame (no carbon fork or carbon seat stays.... full steel!). It has been tough to find one in my price range. I know the geometry I want is loaded touring. I'm looking at complete bikes, and frames that you have the shop add the components to. Buying a complete bike (like an Aurora) is cheaper, even if I cut corners on the frame build-up (like a Surly or Soma). Surly is owned by Quality Bicycle Parts, and they can give some good deals on complete bike kits for Surlys, as long as you buy the complete package.

Knotted, when I replaced my fork, I wanted a steel fork. Samm. Bikes had one but they talked me out of it. they said that the carbon gives you a lot less jolty bumpy ride. There were 3 of them there; and one mechanic said he had a bike with a steel fork and it was a lot harsher than the carbon ones..

so.. i'm on my 3rd carbon fork on two bikes...

Veronica
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
... they said that the carbon gives you a lot less jolty bumpy ride. There were 3 of them there; and one mechanic said he had a bike with a steel fork and it was a lot harsher than the carbon ones..

I descend some pretty gnarly, bumpy roads at 30 - 40 mph on an all steel bike, 23 mm tires, 100 psi.

It is not a harsh ride.

If you are looking for an all steel touring bike, the ride will be even less harsh, since you will probably have wider tires, more likely the 27 - 32 range.

V.

PS KY if you can save your pennies, the Rivendell Rambouillet is a great bike for doing lots of different things. I did my NS tour with it, just by changing wheels. I even did some single track with it, and lots of gravel/dirt roads.

Right now I have it set up for doing a double century so it's as light as I can get it. I know it's more money than you want to spend, but if you can only have one bike and lots of different ways you want to ride...it's quite versatile. AND pretty. :p

SadieKate
08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
V, a steel fork can be harsh. Just like frames - it depends on the tubing, the design, the geometry, the rake, etc. The steel fork on my Mercian is probably much like your Riv. Fabulous, comfy ride. The steel fork on my Kelly cross bike is very rigid as it needs to be for cross racing. The Alpha Q carbon road fork on my Kelly road bike is somewhere in the middle.

Matter of fact, Bill replaced his Kelly cross fork with an Alpha Q carbon to get more compliance. The steel cross fork was very harsh on the road.

It just depends. That's one reason why one really can't state categorically that one material is stiffer than another. Knowledgeable builders can do incredible things with each material.

Veronica
08-01-2006, 10:52 AM
V, a steel fork can be harsh. Just like frames - it depends on the tubing, the design, the geometry, the rake, etc. ...

It just depends. That's one reason why one really can't state categorically that one material is stiffer than another. Knowledgeable builders can do incredible things with each material.

So true... I just can't resist the opportunity to write about how much I love my bike. :p

V.

SadieKate
08-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Did you read on BJ that I upgraded my Mercian to Campy Ergo from bar ends? I know you Riv nuts love your bar cons, but I do not. I'm so thrilled. Whoopeeeeeee!

That was Andrew's last project before he left for Washington yesterday morning. Made him earn his keep.;) Told him he could then add experience with Wheels Manufacturing's spacing kit and quality vintage bikes to his resume.

Veronica
08-01-2006, 11:00 AM
It doesn't matter what we love. It's your bike, you gotta love it! :D

That's awesome, when are you going to take it out for a ride? I hear there's a pretty hilly century in Marin this weekend...

V.

SadieKate
08-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Now that we've hijacked the thread . . . The gearing is for flatlands. Larger chainrings than the Litespeed and same cassette.

Bill and I decided against the Holstein because we have so much travel right now. We'll be doing a part of the Napa Valley course this weekend. Maybe Saturday to avoid the actual century which is on Sunday, I think.

When are you doing the TT in Davis?

Veronica
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
I was actually talking about the Marin Century/Mt Tam Double this weekend. :p

TT... probably never. I'm too chicken. :D

V.

SadieKate
08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I know you were talking about Mt Tam. I just wasn't clear. You are supposed to follow my ping-pong mind.

The TT -- It's not about winning. It's about your own goals . . . and getting faster. It's helped my speed.

And the frozen margs after.

Veronica
08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Towing a trailer has done great things for my speed. :p

Seriously all you folks who want to go faster... get a BOB trailer, load it up with 60 pounds worth of gear and haul it around for three weeks, doing 20 - 80 miles a day.

You will get stronger.

V.

Bike Goddess
08-04-2006, 04:38 PM
SK- Hmmmm- actual Napa Century is Sunday August 20th- same day as the fundraiser up your way, I believe.

Now to get back to topic- I have a Jamis Quest which I bought in 2003. It has a lot of miles on it. Right now it's resting as I also have a Scott CR1 all carbon bike which I dearly love as well.

My Jamis has carbon forks which does make a difference in road feel. Yes, it is a very comfortable road bike.

SadieKate
08-04-2006, 07:01 PM
SK- Hmmmm- actual Napa Century is Sunday August 20th- same day as the fundraiser up your way, I believe.Well, good. We'll definitely miss the crowds, won't we? :p

KnottedYet
08-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Narrowing down the field...

subject to change without notice, of course...

Jamis Aurora, $825 with Tiagra/Deore/Sora http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_aurora.html

Burley Vagabond, $1600 with 105 and made in Oregon http://www.burley.com/images/PDF/Vagabond-Spec-WEB.pdf

(and then there's the Burley Hudson with Ultegra and custom paint for $2200) www.burley.com/images/PDF/Hudson-Spec-WEB.pdf

It appears that it really is cheaper to buy a full bike than it is to build-up a frame, even with short cuts. I'm leaning toward the Vagabond. I can't get a bike for at least a year, so I have lots of time.