PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions

trekchic
01-01-2004, 12:32 PM
OK, I know everyone is already sick of being asked for these, but as far as biking goes, does anyone have a goal to meet this year? Maybe we can set up an accountability group here by letting each other know what we want to accomplish this year in our sport.

I'll start:

This year, it is my goal to put 1500 miles on my bike (that's about 200 miles a month in my area of the country).
This year, it is my goal to increase my average speed on a 15+ mile ride to 15 mph.
This year, it is my goal to lose the last 10 lbs and keep it off for the rest of my life by cycling, changing my eating habits and staying healthy.

OK......anyone else want to chime in?

aka_kim
01-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Can old, uh... I mean experienced, riders chime in too? I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks, so I guess I better get it in writing to make it really happen.

- increase my average speed on flat rides (I'm not picking a number but over 15 mph would be good)
- do at least one century a year (from now on)
- do at least one event/tour in a different state every year (from now on)
- match or beat last year's time on the local hill race (Mt. Diablo challenge)
- finally learn to wrap handlebar tape correctly

jobob
01-01-2004, 04:12 PM
- Ride a metric century, either the Cinderella Classic at the end of March, or perhaps sooner than that, do the full length & back of the American River bike trail near Sacramento.

- Get to the point where a 50-60 mi ride isn’t a big deal for me. I'm about at that point with a 30 mile ride, so there's hope.

- Go by the 15 mph speed limit signs on the paths I ride without wistfully thinking “yeah I wish!”. At the very least, I'd like to be able to keep up with my husband (or maybe even start pushing *him*, heh).

- Meet the Bay Area members on this list (and, if I'm really lucky, learn from Kim how to tape handlebars)

- Maybe, maybe, maybe do a 100 mile century ride this year. A girl can dream.

Happy new year,
- Jo.

spokes
01-01-2004, 04:34 PM
goals are sometimes elusive. and frustrating. and elusive. :D
but without goals, we'd still be sitting in the dark, using paper cups to talk and sending carrier pigeons to far-away friends, scribbling bike forums on commmunity slabs of rock.:p so here goes:
- complete a century, including training enough so that i feel good about my performance and don't hurt too much after!!
- improve my commuting speed
- not beat myself up for commuting less, and instead getting out on the weekends too
- join the local cycling club, which i've heard very good things about, but aren't confident enough to get my butt in gear and just ride
- change a flat!! i've never had to yet, but it's inevitable

aka_kim, i'm intrigued by your goal of going to a different place each year. biking seems to be a wonderful 'excuse' for going new places, seeing things we wouldn't otherwise. that's one of long-term goals, to bike in other parts of canada, and europe, etc., eventually.
happy new year all!

KTeach
01-01-2004, 05:01 PM
I started working more seriously at the gym this fall because of my goal for 2004. I'm planning to ride the Mid Hudson century next fall (which goes through NY, CT, Mass and back into NY).
It will be to celebrate my 50th birthday. In place of gifts, I'm going to ask my friends to give a donation to ovarian cancer research in memory of a friend or to stroke research in memory of my father.
I'm telling lots of people about it ... I hope that will keep me on track!

jobob
01-01-2004, 05:42 PM
That is so cool, KTeach !! :cool:

Steph_in_TX
01-01-2004, 06:04 PM
My husband just asked me about my biking goals a few hours ago!

I'm going to....

-complete a metric century
-overcome the wind! It's a total mental thing, although sometimes physical, but it just kicks my rear when the wind is over 15 mph, which is all the time!!
-improve my core strength as it's seriously lacking

trekchic
01-01-2004, 08:13 PM
OK...so I did the math a little while ago and 1500 miles this year is too low a goal for me.........I am boosting it up to 2000 miles this year. Everything else is the same. There is one ride I'd like to complete, it's called the "Jack and Back" and goes from Franklin, TN to Lynchburg, TN and back (Jack Daniels Distillery sponsors it--they're located in Lynchburg). Everyone here loves that ride and it's about 75 miles each way for 2 days, I think. That is my big ride for this year. I had hoped to race this year, but I truly don't think I'll be ready. I have to average 18+ mph on a 35 mile ride to compete around here.

Thanks for posting guys! I think it's great to have a support group like this all over the country. Keep us all posted of your progress.

There is a website called bikejournal.com for keeping your stats. Maybe we can all do that; or I can get my brother to write us a program to keep our stats and we can post the links here. What an accountability group!

Staying upright!
Kim in TN

aka_kim
01-02-2004, 10:07 AM
One other goal I forgot to explicitly include, but is probably the most important: always keep it fun. Cycling should be enjoyable, not a chore.

MightyMitre
01-05-2004, 05:02 AM
One of my goals for this year is to ride a century. Reading though everyone elses goals it's nice to see I'm not alone in this which is really cool!

Hopefully I'll be able to call on you other century - riders for advice and encouragment through the year!

Why do I want to ride a century? Not sure... but I'm looking forward to being able to say I can ride one hundred miles on a bike!!:D

annie
01-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Mighty,

Be careful! Once you do a century and discover just how do-able it really is, you could get hooked....... and want to do lots more. :D

My goals:
One leisurely, fun ride, Cycle Zydeco, then into serious training.
Race more, road and mountain bike.
No more crashes!
Do some loaded touring.
Convince at least one of my sons to bike with me.

That's enough for now. It's fun reading everyone's goals. Good things to have, I think. Something to strive for, something to motivate with. I know it really helps me, when I think about what I want to do, I will work harder.

TwoTiredGal
01-05-2004, 08:53 AM
I like reading what other people's specific goals are... it motivates me to set goals for myself.

My only real goal/resolution for 2004 is to finish a cross-country mtb race. I'll do the beginner class and although coming in last is not optimal, I just want to finish. I've lost about 40 pounds since last spring while continuing my weight training and running so I think I'll be ready by my May 1st race goal. Although that's only one goal, there are a lot of little things that go into making it happen so I think that's about enough for me!

I don't generally make resolutions because of that whole 80% failure rate within the population. So this is as close as it gets. I also like telling people about things like this because it really is a good way to remain accountable. Just having someone ask, "Hey, how's your training for that race coming?" get me motivated to be able to honestly say, "GREAT! I can't wait!" :D

grannydea
01-05-2004, 08:54 AM
I total believe that if you put it in print you are more likely to accomplish it. So I will join in on this resolution thing. Also being accountable is a good thing too.
-Ride more than last year.
-Increase avg. speed to 18+
-loose that awful 10 lbs. that never seems to come off.
-Ride STP at least 1 hour faster than last time. (14hours in 2001)
-ah yes and not kill myself on the new roller that Santa Baby bought me for christmas.
Or was that his reason for buying it, that or he wants to get me on video to try and win money. hm will have to think about that one ;)
I am sort of all alone out here in the middle of no where's vile so finding someone to ride with is probably out of the question but that would be nice too.

Good luck to all. Go peddle.
Dea

emily_in_nc
01-05-2004, 09:58 AM
In no particular order, my cycling goals for 2004 are:

Improve my hill climbing ability (the hardest but most important goal!!)
Improve my pace-lining & sprinting ability
Break an 18 mph average speed at least once!
Increase my average speed by mid-season to 16.5+ mph consistently
Beat my best speed in a metric century from last year (16.6 mph)
Ride at least as many miles as in 2003 (4075)
Attempt at least one major event in the NC mountains (scary)
Do a short credit-card loaded tour (with my husband)
Do an event in at least one state we've never been to (thinking of Colorado)

Good luck to all in meeting (or even beating!) our goals!

Emily :)

trekchic
01-05-2004, 07:54 PM
How are we doing? This is the 1st real week of 2004 and I am on target!

I got a trainer for Christmas........that I rode for the 1st time and absolutely love it! I listen to books on tape while riding. I am using it to build my base miles right now......I still haven't really accomplished that.

One thing on a trainer that I am not sure how I am going to measure is distance. My cyclocomp. works on the front wheel of course, which doesn't move. So, for now I am measuring time and heart rate. Any ideas on how to measure distance?

I will have my base mileage built up by March when we can go outside on a regular basis and ride. Then I will work on climbing and sprinting.

On the weight loss thing......I started today on my low carb diet again. If I can't stay on the trainer for very long, though I'll have to rethink that. I've got to get these 10 lbs off of me!!!!!

Good luck y'all...........let me know how you're doing.

Kim in TN

emily_in_nc
01-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Kim,

Hmmmm....my computer (Cateye Astrale) pickup is on the rear wheel, so I still get all my stats while riding on the trainer. I guess I thought they were always hooked up to the rear wheel?? My husband always does that stuff, so I am not really sure. Wonder if yours could be moved, or maybe every computer is different?

I use the Spinervals videos while I am on the trainer, and they are great. My husband got me two new ones for Christmas: Muscle Breakdown and Have Mercy (which is two hours - have mercy!) I'll be trying them out over the next few days as our cold weather finally arrived. We started the new year so warm I have gotten in 125 actual road miles since Jan. 1, which was a lucky break. Last year it was too cold to ride outside until Groundhog's day!

Emily

Trek420
01-07-2004, 09:13 AM
"Ride a metric century, either the Cinderella Classic at the end of March, or perhaps sooner than that.....

- Meet the Bay Area members on this list (and, if I'm really lucky, learn from Kim how to tape handlebars)"

how about combination, how many of us plan to do the Cinderella???

Happy new year,
- dita

aka_kim
01-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Cinderella is usually my first event/long ride of the season, and barring horrible weather, I'll be there this year too.

Veronica
01-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I'll be there as well, as long as I remember to sign up in time. :D

Veronica

Trek420
01-07-2004, 09:09 PM
"Cinderella is usually my first event/long ride of the season, and barring horrible weather, I'll be there this year too."

You're right, Kim, it always seems to rain on the Cinderella. This year the ride's on my birthday, I plan to go

TREK:p

atombessy
01-08-2004, 06:25 AM
My New Year's goal are pretty vague still, I'd like to do a half century by the end of June and a full century by the end of September. I'm doing pretty well so far, I've gone on two rides so far "this year" and done one night on the trainer. I'd like to keep on the bike every other day at least til it gets warmer out (its 20' out right now) and riding outside makes riding everyday a more pleasant option:D
I LOVE this board so far, its soooo cool to have people riding at my level who are getting hooked as fast as I am!

Thanks ladies!

snapdragen
01-08-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm planning on Cinderella being my first big ride for this year. I've set up my calendar to beep me the day registration opens...

analy yours,

Janet

Is analy a word??:D

trekchic
01-09-2004, 06:50 AM
I have another New Year's resolution to add to the list:

I AM going to spin a guy named Randy out of my heart! He got me hooked on cycling, by the way. I am going to get better, stronger, faster, smarter, more serious and more successful at everything I do in common with him...especially CYCLING!!!!!!!!!!

As some of you know, I suffer from depression due to a failed relationship.......with Randy! I have been suffering for 5+ months, and it's time for the suffering to end. He is sooooooo not worth it! The next time I give my heart to someone, they will deserve it!

So, add that to my list!

BTW: I am on track... have ridden my trainer 2x this week so far and will do so again tonight! Haven't moved my computer to the back wheel, yet, so I don't know how far I am going or how fast. I am taking the bike to the bike shop today so I'll get it moved.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!!!!! Stay warm and "UPRIGHT"!

Kim in TN

grannydea
01-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Kim in TN,
he is not worth the tears girl. But its a good motivator. keep up the good work. And if you ever get the chance to pass the bum out riding give him that wounderfully gorgeous smile and that one finger wave as you pass him by. (opps I didn't say that.)

I am doing ok too. Considering that is colder than anything and I have to ride inside. But have been on the trainer 3 days this week and donned the parka and snow boots and walked 2 miles each day this week. I really hate the cold and snow. but today I get a break as it is 40 and the sun is shinning. They have the road cleared of snow and ice and I am out of here to ride outside. Happy dance happy dance.
Good day to all.
Dea

trekchic
01-09-2004, 10:55 AM
You're so right he's not! But that doesn't stop it from hurting so much. I still think about him every time I get on the bike. We're in the same industry and his company is one of my clients...he's not anymore, but the company is. So, I still have him on my mind most of the day. Don't know how to change that!

Does it hurt the computer to change it back and forth like this? I'd like it on the front when I'm outside and back inside.

Any thoughts?

Kim in TN

grannydea
01-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Well the new roller finely found its way here from FedX land(alway an ordeal getting diliveries out here).
Boy all I can say is oh my :( I have learned a few thing about myself and my riding and they are not good.
1-- I have a horrible peddle stroke
2-- I have rotten balance
3--I am DEFIANTLY out of shape
I am hopeful that it will improve all three. I haven't fallen or ridden off yet (operative word here is YET ;) But then I am still in the hallway. A narrow hallway. But I'm not unhappy with this christmas present.
Oh and the outdoor ride Friday was heaven. Cold but heaven. Just about cigarette chocolate and wine good ;) but I quite smoking 14 year ago so we will say chocolate and wine good.
Will let you know how it goes this week with the roller.
Take of you,
Dea

VenusdeVelo
01-16-2004, 08:14 AM
I am not sure I always meet my goals but they are good to have early on in the year...let's see
- Ride alot -- I don't reall ymeasure mileage as I get too disappointed when I don't meet it! So "lots more" will do.
- Build my ladies evening ride group (we are only 4 right now...)
- Get my average up a couple of points via a training program I am on right now
- Do the MS150 again and raise more $$ (75 mi each day Sat and Sun - ouch! my butt!)
- Do another century for charity
- Do the absolutely beautiful Door County, WI century just for fun on our tandem with my sweetie :p

That's it for now...

grannydea
02-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Where is everyone!

Ok it is February. How are you all doing with the new years resolutions???
Altho I have not been outside but once sence the new year rolled around as I am not a snow kind of person and I need at least 40 out to ride. I have been on the roller (and alive to tell about it. tee hee :D) about 4 days a week for an hour+ at a time. My average speed on the roller is around 17.5 mph. Can someone tell me if that will transfer to the road? The 10 lbs is still there :( but am working on that too. No new riding partner but then it is the dead of winter and I am snowed in basically. No one wants to come out here to do anything and I dont drive in this stuff eather. Hopefully I will be back outside by the end of the month or sooner. Sooner would be better for all of us in this house. :eek:
So how is everyone elce doing???;)
Dea

jobob
02-05-2004, 08:26 AM
So far,

I've met one member of this list, Ms. Snapdragen, and perhaps we'll meet Melissa at our training ride this Saturday (we'll be on the lookout for the maroon Bianchi!)

I'm getting to where a 40 mile ride is not particularly difficult for me.

I'm still slower than mo-lasses. But that's OK. Hubby says he sees a lot of improvement, but he still leaves me in the dust :p

I might try to do a 62 mi (100K) ride over President's Day weekend, on a nice flat bike path in Sacramento ... stay tuned. I reserve the right to wimp out if the weather doesn't cooperate or if the planets are not alligned properly. :D

And there's the Cinderella, which I'm really looking forward to - hope you No. Cal ladies all sent in your regs! ;)

And for my stretch goal ... there's a century in Davis a week before my 45th birthday in October. Could happen.

- Jo.

fultzie
02-05-2004, 12:33 PM
So, this is my first post (*ever* :)) and I'm a bit late on the resolutions thing...
My Goals:
-not place last in the collegiate road races this year! I managed to finish one mtn. bike race (actually *on* my bike, as supposed to hauling it over my shoulder) of three attempted in the fall on my "cruiser" but I'm hoping to do a bit better this season as I have a "proper road bike"
-lose the pesky "Frosh 15"... although it hasn't all been from Freshman year, but more of a steady build-up over the past three!
-keep up with the guys, or even drop them (wishful thinking!! :D ) on a team ride this spring
-finish the SF-Tijuana ride with my mom, which will be a challenge as California isn't exactly the prairie that Illinois and Michigan are!!

RE: the cyclocomputer... do you have one with RPM? I've heard that RPM is a better indicator of effort on the trainer rather than miles...

best of luck to all of you, and I'm glad to have found a group of like-minded girls! (not that the guys are bad, i just get a bit tired of the gold bond and boxers... remember, these are college guys :p )

ttfn
~Katherine

snapdragen
02-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I've actually been riding with some consistancy, I'm surprised how easy it was to get back in the saddle. The longest ride so far has been about 30 miles, with mild hills.

I've started working with a coach to get me ready for my big ride in June (AIDS/LifeCycle). It's the same guy who did my intial bike fit and evaluation.

I've enjoyed meeting up with Jobob at the Cindy training rides. She still won't give me back my Riv........:D

BTW - Jo, the ride in Davis, is that Foxy's Fall Century? I'm considering the century myself - I've done the 60 miler before.