PDA

View Full Version : As new as they come!

Ltljen101
07-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi all,
What a wonderful and helpful forum. I am mainly a runner and swimmer, and recently bought a Lemod Revmaster (spin bike) and fell in love with Spinervals, dvds for cyclists. I am attempting a ride with a cycling group this Monday. I have not been on a bike since a 10 speed when I was 12. The only bike I have is an old Trek Mt bike my sister gave me. The ride leader said it would be difficult on a mt, but I can't afford much now, and plus, what if I don't like it? I called a bike shop and the guy was saying I could put different tires on the mt and that would be better. What do you all think? Can I hang tough with a mt? Do I need the tires? It's not a long ride, just 13 miles I think.

Thanks
Jen

Geonz
07-28-2006, 08:51 AM
If it's only 13 miles then maybe it's not a fast ride, but tires make a LOT of difference (instant 2-4 mph depending on how much the change is).

Whether or not you change the tires, could be it's going to be one of those "who IS that chick on the mountain bike who's kicking butt?" scenarios :)

Important consideration: if you're on the wrong equipment, you're a lot less likely to like it.

pooks
07-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Welcome!

Is there any chance the LBS would loan you a used bike to try out, on the possibility that if you like it, you might buy it?

chickwhorips
07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
welcome to the group.

my thought is if your not sure about going on this ride then go with what you have. unless you want to invest in some slick tires which are nice if you get a trainer.

i only have a mtb also, but we only have a small section of road paved, less than a 1/4 mile in front of the airport. i take my mtb over that with no problem. the tires i have on though aren't super grippy, but the old ones i had were and they seemed fine. its just a matter of how much extra you want to work or pay.

SalsaMTB
07-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Tires make a HUGE difference. Definitely get some slicks on that bike before you join the ride. I think it will still be pretty tough to keep up, but it's worth a try. Did the person organizing talk about the pace of the ride or anything? I'm guessing it's probably a relaxed ride since it's only 13 miles. Did he say it would be tough in a negative way, basically saying don't come without saying that or did he say it in a way that was more it would be tough but you should give it a try?

I would say, get the tires and join the ride. Have fun. If they drop you, they drop you. No big deal!

One other option is to call around and see if any shops has road bikes they rent in your size. Then, you would really get a good feeling if you would like a road bike and hopefully you'll be comfortable on the bike.

Ltljen101
07-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Wow, what quick and great responses!

He said I could keep up but it would be very difficult, w/ the gearing and tires. There is a group on Monday night called "The Turtles" that he said I could ride with. No one is dropped. A leader rides with the slowest ones, and the loop is 15, 20, or 25. This is the ride they want new members to attend.

I am a slight masochist and would love to work hard. Just cruising around doesn't sound fun to me - I want to WORK!

I will check around w/ renting - the problem is that i am 4'11. I had to special order my shoes which took forever.

Thanks again!

Geonz
07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, if they call it the Turtles, then odds are better that it'll be a nice pace... but by this time of year often a lot of people have been riding a lot.

However - you're already in shape and know how hard you can push yourself. GO for it and make that guy realize he should not too quickly assume you'll have trouble keeping up. Let us know how it goes!!

("No one is dropped" - is, alas, sometimes a well-intentioned, um, falsehood - but usually not on "the ride they want new members to attend." There's a funny "translation" list where 'No one is dropped' actually means "leave an article of clothing for us to let the dogs sniff ..." It all comes down to whether the leader is trying to make sure the new folks have a good ride, or needs to be sure s/he does...)

Cassandra_Cain
07-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, if they call it the Turtles, then odds are better that it'll be a nice pace... but by this time of year often a lot of people have been riding a lot.

However - you're already in shape and know how hard you can push yourself. GO for it and make that guy realize he should not too quickly assume you'll have trouble keeping up. Let us know how it goes!!

("No one is dropped" - is, alas, sometimes a well-intentioned, um, falsehood - but usually not on "the ride they want new members to attend." There's a funny "translation" list where 'No one is dropped' actually means "leave an article of clothing for us to let the dogs sniff ..." It all comes down to whether the leader is trying to make sure the new folks have a good ride, or needs to be sure s/he does...)

lol - how funny! I'm agreeing with you there too, 'no one is dropped' is about as comforting as a car salesperson telling you they have your best interests in mind.

For whatever reason, bike clubs seem much more competitive now than when I used to ride with them some years ago. Possibly just an individual thing. Some rides really don't drop people, but they appear somewhat less common.

tulip
07-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Gotta start somewhere, and I'm sure you'll do fine. The only thing that worries me a bit is your inexperience (based on your post) of riding in groups. Give plenty of distance to the person in front. If someone crowds you, politely say that you'd like a bit more room.

Best of luck and have fun! I predict great things and that you'll be writing a post about which road bike to get in no time!