PDA

View Full Version : Non-traditional or alternative saddles--anyone tried them?

julies
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm brand new to this forum and am a middle-aged recreational rider primarily, although we have taken several European bicycle trips for periods ranging from 5-9 days with an average of 40-50k (25-35 miles) per day. I need a new seat/saddle for my hybrid bike!!! My current saddle causes me to have a lot of tailbone pain for days after I ride, and this is my primary complaint. I've, at times, tried saddles that cause crotch numbness which I also want to avoid.

I have been looking into some of the more unusual new ergonomic saddles and am wondering is anyone has tried any of them. Hobson, spiderflex, bi-saddle, the seat, spongy wonder, easy seat II & dd wings are the brands I've been reading about. I think right now I may be most intersted in the dd wings. My main concern with all of these is that I'm basically buying a pig in a poke on-line. Some of these have a 30 day guarantee so I can return for a refund (of course, the dd wings doesn't state this), but I want to know if anyone has tried any of these non-traditional seats. If so, what was your reaction? I also realize that my riding habits may differ significantly from those who may have tried the more innovative seats, but I'd still like to know if anyone had actually ridden with any of these.
Thanks much.

mimitabby
07-27-2006, 02:24 PM
i have one of those saddles with two cushions, one for each sit bone
and no front part, but no one in my family wanted to try it.

It's for sale for 5 dollars plus shipping!