PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe

Tuckervill
07-26-2006, 08:51 AM
My boy (12) and I are going to Albuquerque for a homeschooling conference in September. We want to arrive early and go up to Santa Fe for some sweet trails.

I've done a lot of research--the Dale Ball Trails look good for us. There are some trails in national parks that I want to try, although we only have 3 days (still want to see Santa Fe, too!). But I noticed there are some bike shops that will shuttle you to the top of a ski area, and then you ride down. Is this what is known as downhill? Sounds like fun. My boy was really pumped up about that! But I've skied a few times and those slopes are pretty steep! I'm sure the landscape is way different when not covered in snow. Are the trails more side to side?

I'm also a little concerned about the elevation. Last time I was at Breckenridge, I was sick the first day with what only can be described as altitude sickness. Don't want that to happen again. We're at 1300 feet here--Santa Fe is around 7000. We'll be stopping in Amarillo on the way at 3500 feet. Would a night and a day there help me adjust? I know Santa Fe is not really high elevation, but it's higher than here.

Any input on Santa Fe, camping there, riding there, downhill MTBing, elevation, etc.? Thanks!

Karen

wabisabi
07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Ummm, go to the 10,000 Waves Hotsprings spa afterwards :D

Cassandra_Cain
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi Karen...

I'm not sure where you are located, but I see many tourists in Santa Fe and here in ABQ look mighty winded and bogged down with headaches. I'm sure you know all the usual precautions to take when upping the elevation significantly.

You know we have some really good trails here in ABQ by the way, which are much closer and cheaper than those in SF. You can ride in the Sandia's (10,000+ feet), a mere 30 minutes from town (by car). I've ridden up there a few times (I'm a roadie but rented a MTB there), and got a full suspension bike rented, a chairlift to the top of the mountain and all-day riding for $40 - if you have your own bikes, the chair lift is just $10.

here's a link if you want to have a look:

www.sandiapeak.com

As for Santa Fe, if you are riding from the ski area mountains then you are going to either see lots of switchbacks (for the easier trails), or a fair amount of downhill (for the harder trails).

A night in Amarillo to help prep you for the altitiude makes sense. Or if you are staying in ABQ, that works too - I've never had a problem being up in the mountains.

Oh and I second the motion, 10,000 waves is a great spa, I love the private hot tubs and baths with great views :)

CorsairMac
07-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Sorry I can't help you with any of the trails in Santa Fe - I live in Albuquerque but.....................

for altitude sickness: drink water drink water drink water

I usually make sure my dad starts drinking water 2-3 days before he comes out here for a visit, and I make sure he carries water with him at all times. Don't stop drinking once you're here and plan on taking it easy at least your first day here, Albuquerque downtown is at 5000 and you'll just go up from there no matter where you go! :D

As for the ferry up and ride down: you'll have to check with the bike shops but there is a ski resort in Santa Fe with a paved road that leads up to it, that may be what they're talking about vs MTB'ng, but again check. Dress warm if you do that, Santa Fe itself is 7,000 but the top of the Sangra De Cristos is *shaking head* I don't know 11,000?.....12,000 so it's gonna be colder up there!

and Last: if you're going to be here in Sept it can still be hot although monsoon should be over by then so the humidity will be low again (thank the stars!) Just be aware it's very easy to dehydrate in this climate without even knowing it so Over drink, your body will get rid of whatever it doesn't need. and bring lots of sunscreen, the sun is more intense at these altitudes!

Hope you enjoy our beautiful state!

Tuckervill
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey, Thanks! Good to hear from people who actually live there.

While we are in ABQ we will be staying at the Hotel Albuquerque. We will be mucho busy hanging with old friends and learning stuff, so we won't be able to ride much. I know that several of the conference attendees will be there over that prior weekend, too. So if I arrive in ABQ early I (and especially my son) will be SOOO tempted to hang with them instead of seeing something I want to see, which is Santa Fe. Can you imagine hauling bikes for 800 miles and then not riding them?! So we're kind of killing two birds by going to Santa Fe first.

It's kind of like sneaking back to your home town and not telling anyone you're there for the first 3 days. ;)

The folks in ABQ who are helping with the conference are doing a good job about warning about drinking water, the lack of humidity, etc. I didn't know the Sangre de Cristo mountains would be so high, so that IS good to know. I'm also learning that I do need to pack clothes for layering. It will be hard to find room in the Beetle for more clothes!

I checked the weather data for September, and it is similar to our May or June, average temp-wise, but the lows are more like my visits to Vermont. (brrr) Of course we have killer humidity in Arkansas. I LOVE low humidity, but it will still be an adjustment for me.

I *will* try to get the bike out in ABQ during the conference, even if the boy won't go with me, but I'll probably just stay on the roads that I can take from the hotel. Insight for that would be great!

Thanks!
Karen

Cassandra_Cain
07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey Karen - will you be staying at the Hotel ABQ in Old Town? Do you have the address?

Roads are simple enough to find, just pass along the addy and one of us can give you some tips.

Interestingly enough, I've found ABQ a million times better for riding (in the city) than SF, which has an odd layout, and not exactly the best roads and/or space. Outside of SF is different.

CorsairMac
07-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Karen: PM me - if you get a chance to ride, let me know and I'll come ride with you. Like CC said, the roads here are awesome but depending on where you're staying we might be able to pop over to the Bosque trail and ride along the Rio Grande for a bit. My job is pretty flexible so I can take time off work and go for a ride, just let me know.

snowtulip
07-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Hotel Albuquerque is right next to Mountain Rd. and you can catch the paved bosque trail that CM talks about at the end of the road. I'd take CM up on her offer, she's a great person to ride with! I need to coax her back onto the mountain with me.

Depending on when you're here, I might be able to do a Santa Fe mtn. ride. I advise Windsor trail, it's pretty and will take you to ski area.

I'd recommend stopping by Bike N Sport in Santa Fe (just ask where Trader Joes is and it's next door), a great bike shop with lots of info.:D

Grog
07-28-2006, 06:17 AM
You could check out the Pedal Queens' web site: http://www.pedalqueens.com/ they're a woman mountain biking club in Santa Fe! (And they're really cool.)

Cassandra_Cain
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM
You could check out the Pedal Queens' web site: http://www.pedalqueens.com/ they're a woman mountain biking club in Santa Fe! (And they're really cool.)

Darn~ Wish we had something like this in 'burque :eek:

Tuckervill
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Dang, somehow I missed all these replies.

Thanks for the offer to ride with us! That sounds groovy, but don't count on it. I'll have to sneak away from the hotel and it maybe just too hard (and spontaneous).

However! I found this cool book online, published in 1994, called Mountain Biking in Northern New Mexico: Historical and Natural History Rides. It describes all these mountain bike rides where you can go by ghost towns, lava flows, fossil beds, etc. The book is very detailed (although I do wonder about changes in the last 12 years). I am more pumped up about taking the bikes, now.

When I have more time, I'll post directions to some of the rides and see if anyone is familiar with the areas. I think my boy is really going to like these rides. He wants to go to Big Tubes, for sure.

Thanks!
Karen

Tuckervill
07-30-2006, 06:19 PM
A friend is going to the same conference, and she and her daughter want to do some trails on horseback.

Any suggestions I can pass on to her?

Thanks!
Karen