PDA

View Full Version : Coaches

Veronica
07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
I was whiny this morning about riding. I hate to sit in traffic, which I'm going to have to do one or another if I want to ride in Marin. I didn't want to ride so far when I wasn't sure how I was feeling, blah, blah, blah...

Before Thom left for work he put on his coach "hat" and told me to ride Diablo then. It's a climb I know really well and it would give me a good idea of my current fitness level after the NS tour. I really didn't want to do that either. So I called him on his cell and asked if I could do hill repeats, 'cause I really didn't want to drive to Diablo either. It would be hot by the time I got there. He got this exasperated tone and told me to do what I want.

That's my clue that the coach isn't happy, and I better do what he wants and stop whining. So I drove over and rode Diablo. It was hot, but I feel better about my ability to ride in the 90s, now that I've done it.

I just got his check in e mail asking did I ride. Of course I rode! The coach told me to. :D That's part of the deal. If I want his advice, I have to take it. Which isn't as bad as it sounds. He understands that when I say I can't do something, I really do mean it. Like Sunday, when if I let my HR get as high as I'm supposed to on a training ride, I would have barfed or passed out.

He's been so great about all this training I'm doing. It keeps him from doing some things he wants to do. He really helps to keep me focused. And he gets that sometimes riding just needs to be fun and forget about training for a day.

V.

chickwhorips
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
good job! and you feel so much better that you rode. though the name of 'diablo' sounds a bit scary.

'coaches' can be funny like that. i'm the same way. bf tells me what i should do and i whine, but know i have to do it if thats what he says otherwise he'll never give advice again.

Veronica
07-25-2006, 01:45 PM
though the name of 'diablo' sounds a bit scary.

Not scary at all. Just 6.5 miles of sustained climbing, average grade of 4 - 5% with pitches to 9% in the section I did today.

The upper half, which is closed right now, is harder. It's 4 miles with an average grade of 6%. Then a quarter mile of 17%.

But I ride it a lot. It is a good benchmark to see where I am. It's also the reason I have a tiny front chainring. :D

V.

Adventure Girl
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Did he make you take the rocks with you?

Veronica
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
No, no rocks. :D Although he's been hinting that maybe I should ride with the bob trailer. It weighs about the same as the rocks. It's still at Cindy's. I'm in a real hurry to get it back - NOT!

V.

Selkie
07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Just be glad he doesn't sit on the bob and make you pull him along!

spokewench
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I lived in the Bay Area for years and know Mt. Diablo Well, both on and off road. It's a GREAT climb. THey used to do a Mt. Diablo hill climb every year. Do they still do that?

I have two second place and one first place jerseys for that climb on the mountain bike (on the road).!

That's one of the places I miss in the Bay Area! That and the pizza place in Oakland/Berkeley and a couple of mexican restaurants in Hayward!;)

maillotpois
07-26-2006, 04:43 PM
The do that ride, I believe. I think it is put on by the Lung Assn. or something. You've got great results!

jobob
07-26-2006, 04:46 PM
So V., which part of the road is closed? From the junction to the summit?

SadieKate
07-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Amici Veloci my axe !

You one funny girl.:D

snapdragen
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
You one funny girl.:D

Did you see I was greeted at Healdsburg with "Amici Veloci my A**"?:D

SadieKate
07-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Yes, I did! That was Marty who also went to the Little Red Riding Hood. Did you get to talk with her at all? I haven't seen her for a while. She works from home now.

jobob
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I think it was a friend of Marty's

SadieKate
07-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Was she wearing an AV jersey? On an aqua blue and black Seven? Mid-50s?

Veronica
07-26-2006, 05:41 PM
So V., which part of the road is closed? From the junction to the summit?

Yep - the summit road is supposed to be open on weekends. You can ride to the Junction from either side.

V.

jobob
07-26-2006, 05:45 PM
I only knows what I's been told ...

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7967 post #12

edit: I almost forgot! As I was heading down Dry Creek Rd (I think) I hear from behind: "Amici Veloci my a$$!" And a woman rides up beside me "My friend told me if I saw that jersey I was supposed to say that!" It was a friend of sadiekate's friend Marty! AV shall rule the world!

SadieKate
07-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh! I somehow read that as "a friend of SadieKate's, Marty." I didn't see the 2nd friend mentioned.

Here is the road closure info.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517

snapdragen
07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Was she wearing an AV jersey? On an aqua blue and black Seven? Mid-50s?

Wasn't Marty, is was a woman who knows her. I want to say short brown hair....but I could be wrong. We introduced ourselves, but my steel trap memory has forgotten her name....she knew you too...:o

aka_kim
07-26-2006, 06:18 PM
THey used to do a Mt. Diablo hill climb every year. Do they still do that?

The Mt. Diablo Challenge (http://www.mtdiablochallenge.com/) is still held the first weekend of October. I used to ride it, until my times became a complete embarrassment. The Mt. Diablo Hill Climb Time Trial (http://208.106.130.204/c4racing.htm) was just re-introduced this month.

I have two second place and one first place jerseys for that climb on the mountain bike (on the road).!
Wow, you're fast!

extra-vert
08-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey aka kim, That Mt Diablo challenge - can anyone do it or do you have to be with a team or have some sort of race credential? I'm new to this and wonder if it's something I could consider signing up for?:eek:

extra-vert
08-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Sorry, one more thing - how can I find out the exact course, in case I wanted to try it in advance?

aka_kim
08-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Anyone can do the Mt. Diablo Challenge - no race license required - it's not really a race, but a fun, timed event. There is a mass start, usually with 700+ riders, and it's amazing how fast much of the field is. Usually over 100 people can finish in under an hour, and over half the field within 90 minutes.

The route starts at the Athenian School on Mt. Diablo Scenic Rd and goes straight up for 10.x miles to the summit of Diablo. There's been road work on the summit road recently so it's been closed, but the road will be open for the challenge. You can still ride half-way up the mountain to the junction with the North Gate Road to recon the course.

Check out the web site for info on registering.

extra-vert
08-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Excellent - thanks aka Kim. I'm out that way all the time. I'll bring the bike next time. Do you happen to know of any organized rides along here?

Veronica
08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I think Diablo Cyclists ride the mountain every Wed. evening.

V.