PDA

View Full Version : Commuting hazards

Geonz
07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
... sort of hijacking this section 'cause this isn't crazy drivers, but commuting - but our city and county planners are making "road improvements" and have decided that they need to find out more about cycling, since they; are building things like bike paths.
So I did a photo essay at http://www.resourceroom.net/pcc/windsorpath1.htm of the ins and outs (we don't have ups and downs here, except for overpasses :-)) of one of our finer bike paths - which has some nice features, but really demonstrates the inherent hazards when you try to stick a path sort of almost next to a road. (It's not as bad as the campus paths, which have egregiously BAD design - bike path through a bus stop, HELLO??)
This makes it easy to say to the planners, council folks, and who have you "click here and see!"

DeniseGoldberg
07-23-2006, 02:17 PM
While your city planners may think that bike paths are a good idea, I have a real problem with them. They look like a sidewalk, and a driver has no idea what the "bike path" users are going to do. I don't have a problem with a lane in the road that is designated for bikes, but I do have a problem with separate paths.

I feel much safer in the road, behaving like a vehicle. If I need to make a turn, I make it in the same way that a car would. If I am crossing an intersection, I move further to the left so that a right-turning car will see my intention and won't turn into me. If I were on a path like the one in your photos - well, it appears that I would always need to stop in order to safely get across any cross streets.

I know there are riders out there who prefer bike paths - I'm just not one of them. I apologize in advance if my post is too strong, but it is something that I feel very strongly about.

And Sue - based on your comments, it sounds like you have some of the same problems with the bike paths that I do...

--- Denise

Geonz
07-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Ya, you betcha.

I wrestle with the question: how to educate all those folks who think cycling is just a little faster than walking, and just a little more fun... and lump commuting by bike on the road with being an aggressive bike-messenger type, and certainlhy *not* something anyone should feel obligated to encourage.

The bike paths have the added, significant problem (especially the campus ones) of inspiring righteous rage in drivers when cyclists are in the road.

DeniseGoldberg
07-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Do you think it's of any use to point them (the city planners, that is) to the vehicle code that states that bicycles are vehicles?

Trek420
07-23-2006, 03:06 PM
DeniseGoldberg "I feel much safer in the road, behaving like a vehicle....If I were on a path like the one in your photos - well, it appears that I would always need to stop in order to safely get across any cross streets."

I feel the same way. A recent encounter with another cyclist, middle age gal on Box Store bike, not a sports or fitness rider but somone who rides every day in all weather even this heat :o got me thinking.

For us speed is our friend. Sure it backfires because peds missjudge our speed and walk smack dab into us but with cars it's our friend.

But the other day I was impatient angry even, with this gal on her box store bike.

How dare she be riding the wrong way in the bike lane :mad:

Then I thought "Trek, how is she going to do that left turn on West Tennyson? How is this slow and quite possibly cognitively impaired (we've met when I walk Mae many times, she never seems to remember me or Mae) gal on a Huffy going to speed up, take the lane, speed up, take another lane, speed up get in the middle of the left turn land on West freaking Tennyson? And doesn't she have as much of a right to ride to work as you do?

Yep, she's going to ride her bike "just like walking but a little faster".

On the other hand, there are green space bike paths here that she can use for part of her commute, there is a bike ped overpass...I never see her on that.

What I see on the bike ped overpass if anyone is the occaisional recreational rider. We have the resources, we get the maps and go online. More important I did exploratory rides for months to find the (unsigned, unmarked) bike ped overpass.

If you're the vast majority of cyclists in my area you are not going on a recreational ride to find a safe way to work. The "urban poor cyclists" go up over the freeway overpass same route he/she would drive, even though they can see from there the paralel bike/ped overpass.

For me it's a complex issue and class is part of that.

How do we reach more riders and drivers to "share the road"? Most of these cyclists don't surf TE, or surf anywhere or even visit a LBS. they don't consider themselves cyclists. How do we reach them? I can't yell at all of them :o If not, the drive will be to have seperate routes/paths.

Geonz
07-23-2006, 05:48 PM
They're not vehicles in this state.

We also have a serious disincentive - a cyclist lost a damage suit and the judge words to the effect that "the road wasn't marked for cyclists in any way, so the defendant shouldn't have had to expect cyclists to be on the road." (I *really* wonder about that case.) So, now nobody wants to do anything that's for bikes. The League of ILlinois Bicyclists is lobbying hard all over the place to get folks to see the benefits of planning for bicyclists anyway, with some fortunately positive results.

I, too, have had experiences like yours Trek. One of the things we are trying to do is find ways to educate riders so that at least they know their options.

Trek420
07-23-2006, 06:01 PM
A coworker wants to ride and I told him:
The good news about cycling is...it's as easy as riding a bicycle, hence the saying hehe.
The bad news is that doing it well is freakishly difficult :o
The good news is that the information is out there, LBS. bike clubs, online, coworker who rides.

Most drivers don't get that info
Sadly most bike riders don't either, we few we happy few are a minority, with internet access, a sense of community....

I'm asking how do you reach riders who do not think of themselves as cyclists, who think of themselves as being "somone who does not have a car" to get cycling skills? Also how do you get them to feel they are part of our community and lobby, vote work for improvements?

DeniseGoldberg
07-23-2006, 06:15 PM
They're not vehicles in this state.
It is my understanding that bicycles are considered vehicles in all 50 states. From the Illinois vehicle code:
(625 ILCS 5/11‑1502) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑1502)
Sec. 11‑1502. Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles. Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this Code, except as to special regulations in this Article XV and except as to those provisions of this Code which by their nature can have no application.
(Source: P.A. 82‑132.)
If it's of any use, here's a link to the bicycle portion of the vehicle code for Illinois: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh.+11+Art.+XV&ActID=1815&ChapAct=625*ILCS*5/&ChapterID=49&ChapterName=VEHICLES&SectionID=59725&SeqStart=116000&SeqEnd=117800&ActName=Illinois+Vehicle+Code.

I have to say that in spite of the motor vehicle code stating that bicycles can ride in the road - and can ride 2 abreast - the statute related to left hand turns seems absolutely ridiculous (as in it appears that you are supposed to cross the road while on the right side, then stop and and make your turn.) That's nuts. If you look at this piece of the code, then I can certainly understand your statement that bicycles are not considered vehicles in Illinois. Remind me not to ride there! (Oh wait, I have ridden in Illinois. I spent 4 days there during my cross-country ride. But then again the only city of any size that I went through was Peoria.)

tulip
07-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Great discussion! I am a city planner, and a bicycle commuter. About 2/3 of my 14 mile commute is on city streets, and 1/3 is on a multi-use path (MUP). Once I get to the Virginia side of the river, there is no choice but the MUP. I like to have choices! I go through three states twice a day (okay, two states and a colony (DC)), so I really need to know the bike laws in all three (I admit, I don't)

Bike paths (or MUPs) have their place, and I'm happy to have the OPTION of using them. But I would not like it to be mandatory for bicyclists to use the MUPs.

I would like to see more bicycle education taught in drivers ed. I bet most cops don't even know that bicycles are vehicles.

Now, if we could just get more drivers AND bicyclists to drive and ride responsibly, we'd be all set.

I wish TE had a Commuting topic in these forums.

Geonz
07-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, perhaps we can just nudge Susan to change "crazy drivers" to "commuting and dealing with drivers" or something like that - hey, it's more positive anyway.

Now I'm wracking my brain trying to remember exactly where somebody posted a list of states where bicycles are called something else in some important legal context.

Ironically, "little" legal issues aside, this is a great place for riding. Chicago has a very active cycling culture and significant clout. So, it seems that the better way to improve things is to make sure *more,* not fewer, people are riding (the folks who agree with that court decision already believe that "hey, nobody rides their bikes here anyway!" - and would be perfectly happy if it became a self-fulfilling prophecy).

I decided I"m going to do a "control group" study and do a photo essay of the route I like taking Westbound (no bike paths; a somewhat busy cross-campus thoroughfare). It's got its hazards, too [grammar police pandas, duly note proper apostrophes!] such as busses, but because it's the road, there tend to be *options* and a whole lot less confusion.

Tater
07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I am of the same thought as Trek and Denise, I dislike bike paths. Luckily, Boise has a lot of well marked bike lanes, 'yeild to bikes', 'share the road' signs, plus the Greenbelt MUP (which I don't use). There are many commuters, as well as North Enders and college kids who use the bike as their only means of transportation around here. I think all of those things make for a bit more tolerance from the cagers. I had more problems riding in a smaller town on the east side of the state, than I do here in the most populous city in Idaho. I just wish more people would get off their duff and ride. I'm guessing here, but I'd say that 90% of the cars I saw on the ride in this morning were single occupant.

Oh, and in Idaho, cyclist are considered a slow moving vehicle.

Geonz
07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
The good thing here is that it is a University town - and a couple of hospitals, not a whole lot more; and the other big places of employment have a lot of low-paid folks. The Urbana half is notoriously liberal and creative. (There are 3 Xtracycles in Champaign-Urbana - all of 'em in Urbana. THat's proof, right:p ) It's still got a good dose of the "hopelessly midwetern" culture about it, and even the major bigwigs recognize that when they're trying to compete for folks to come this way, that lifestyle is one of few things we've got over, say, Chicago. And, there are just a LOT of bicycles.
I think I would have mroe trouble in some of the smaller towns, though ("Must be a student! AARGH! Or one of those Urbana Liberals!!!:eek: :eek: )
I'm encouraged b/c one of the ladies on the list I posted the link to works for the transportation folks, and has forwarded it to the public works' folks and the planners for the three towns around here. What's that quote about being like a flea?

CorsairMac
07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Albuquerque has both and they are both well marked. Except in one instant they don't really share the same "space". They are also in the process right now (Go ABQ) of marking all the bike routes and posting share the road signs and no parking in the bike lane signs! This being said: due to the torrential rains we had while I was out of town, the bike lane in some areas is full of sand and debris and very dangerous to ride in. Several commuters have reported it to the city and as of Fri they still hadn't done anything. Due to it being so unsafe I ride in the car lane just to the left of the white line and have had several cars try to "crowd" me back into "my" lane. I'm praying that New Mexico becomes the next state to pass the 3 foot law.

As for riding them: I've ridden both the bike paths and the bike lanes/routes. Depending on where I"m going and what I"m trying to accomplish, the bike lane/route is my preferred method of travel but I know some people don't like "urban commando" biking!

Trek420
07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Tater "Oh, and in Idaho, cyclist are considered a slow moving vehicle."

I heard (from an ex-Idaho'an) that in Idaho we are considered target practice :eek: that it's a harder than average state to ride in.

Surprised me since it's so beeeyoooteeful and outdorsey and such there.

Tater
07-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Tater "Oh, and in Idaho, cyclist are considered a slow moving vehicle."

I heard (from an ex-Idaho'an) that in Idaho we are considered target practice :eek: that it's a harder than average state to ride in.

Surprised me since it's so beeeyoooteeful and outdorsey and such there.

Depends on what side of the state one rides! Seriously! I have had more close calls with pickups, things thrown at me and such when I lived in Idaho Falls (near the Wyoming border), than I have here in the capital. I have found people here to be so much more tolerant towards cyclists, maybe because there are many more of us out than just the ocassional pair of Mormon missionaries out on their mtn bikes going from house to house.

hsmpcycle
07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Tater,

Being a native Idahoan myself, I must agree that the Idaho Falls area is FULL of idiots. I must say I am very spoiled to be raised in Driggs, ID (across the Tetons from Jackson Hole) where there are a lot of riders from all over the globe, especially road.

Because there are not a lot of good roads and traffic in the summer is awful, Teton County created a HUGE bike path that connects Driggs (the middle town of the county) and Victor (the southern town). What is neat about this is that they used the old railroad line by taking off the tracks and paved it. They are going to connect Tetonia (the Northern end) hopefully soon, which means the path will be 30+ miles one way. Bear in mind, I hate paths, but in the summer the traffic on the highway, the only main road through these towns, is at a standstill. Amazingly, almost no one uses the path, because it is a pretty far distance from the road so people are unaware of it.

By the way, I am a new to the TE Forum. I have been on a bike since I was 6. My first bike was a dirt bike. I did compete in a dirt bike race when I was 8. I don't know why I did it, I just thought it would be fun. After years of riding, I turned to road bikes because I love the endurance aspect and the ability to go REALLY FAST!

Quillfred
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
With all the frustrations of multi use: cell-phone and MP3 users, skaters who like to throw a leg in front of you, loose dogs, path "hogs", cyclists who "cut you off", etc (BTW, thanks for letting me vent :p )....I still prefer the bike trail (rail to trail) for riding to work 9.3 miles each way. It is beautiful and circumvents steep hills for kinder ones. I still feel safer on the path too-- perferring
cyclists with cell-phones over drivers with phones. I wish cell-phone use by any vehicle operators would be illegal except in emergencies.

The 3/4 mile that I rideis on the road near the University has cyclists scattered and is chaotic. Every cyclist seems to behave differently.

However when I ride on Vashon Island, it is usually quiet enough to hear cars approach. Most are friendly and give plenty of room. I was happy to see a road sign for drivers to "share the road with bicycles" :)

This is an excellent discussion. I feel we are at an important cross-roads here where transportation costs are making it more imperative to create safe conditions for cyclists to ride and commute.

Getting on the soapbox---we have to make it more feasible for people to get out of their cars and onto their bikes. I have a fantasy of having bike-express lanes on or adjacent to freeways. Tax deductions for cyclists! No more roads built without a bike lane.

Along with more bike paths or trails, we need so muchpublic education for both drivers and riders. The media could be utilized so much more to encourage cycling.

Tater
07-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Tater,

Being a native Idahoan myself, I must agree that the Idaho Falls area is FULL of idiots. I must say I am very spoiled to be raised in Driggs, ID (across the Tetons from Jackson Hole) where there are a lot of riders from all over the globe, especially road.

Because there are not a lot of good roads and traffic in the summer is awful, Teton County created a HUGE bike path that connects Driggs (the middle town of the county) and Victor (the southern town). What is neat about this is that they used the old railroad line by taking off the tracks and paved it. They are going to connect Tetonia (the Northern end) hopefully soon, which means the path will be 30+ miles one way. Bear in mind, I hate paths, but in the summer the traffic on the highway, the only main road through these towns, is at a standstill. Amazingly, almost no one uses the path, because it is a pretty far distance from the road so people are unaware of it.

By the way, I am a new to the TE Forum. I have been on a bike since I was 6. My first bike was a dirt bike. I did compete in a dirt bike race when I was 8. I don't know why I did it, I just thought it would be fun. After years of riding, I turned to road bikes because I love the endurance aspect and the ability to go REALLY FAST!

I lived in Driggs myself for awhile and loved biking there! It was awesome. Welcome to the forum, there are a bunch of nice ladies around here with a lot of excellent advice!

tulip
07-25-2006, 06:18 AM
This is an excellent discussion. I feel we are at an important cross-roads here where transportation costs are making it more imperative to create safe conditions for cyclists to ride and commute.

Getting on the soapbox---we have to make it more feasible for people to get out of their cars and onto their bikes. I have a fantasy of having bike-express lanes on or adjacent to freeways. Tax deductions for cyclists! No more roads built without a bike lane.

Along with more bike paths or trails, we need so muchpublic education for both drivers and riders. The media could be utilized so much more to encourage cycling.

+++!

So how do we go about it? League of American Bicyclists? Local bike advocacy groups (WABA in DC)? Are there other avenues to continue this conversation, like with my representative in Congress (I actually live 1/2 block into Maryland, so I do have a representative in Congress)?

I was thinking of becoming a certified bike instructor through LAB. Any other ideas?

Cassandra_Cain
07-25-2006, 07:51 AM
This being said: due to the torrential rains we had while I was out of town, the bike lane in some areas is full of sand and debris and very dangerous to ride in. Several commuters have reported it to the city and as of Fri they still hadn't done anything. Due to it being so unsafe I ride in the car lane just to the left of the white line and have had several cars try to "crowd" me back into "my" lane. I'm praying that New Mexico becomes the next state to pass the 3 foot law.

You aren't kidding! I was riding up a road with one of those marked bike lanes and large portions of it were completely awash with dirt, rocks, and of course, glass. So of course I rode on the right third of the car lane. This of course precipated lots of yelling and harassment (the usual stupidity) from motorists, but overwhelmingly from those in SUV's and other gas guzzlers.

Still I find most of the time, all of the road garbage and debris finds its way to the bike lane. IMO the answer is fewer cars, much MUCH more motorist driver education, and integrating cyclists as vehicles.

I tend to hate bike paths for a variety of reasons. For one, it basically removes bikes from the roadway which is concession to motorists. Plus I hate that it reinforces the notion that bikes and cars cannot be on the same path. Finally, they are often littered with off-leash dogs, goat-heads, skateboarding teenagers. Since I ride for fun and fitness, dodging all of these things/folks isn't my cup of tea.

However, unlike car drivers, I don't yell at cyclists on bike paths! :P

Geonz
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Some links:

http://www.thunderheadalliance.org/index.asp
http://www.completestreets.org/
http://bikesbelong.org/index.cfm
http://bikeleague.org/ (League of American Bicyclists)
http://www.bikelib.org - League if Illinois Bicyclists (which has a lot of excellent links like the http://bikelib.org/commute/index.htm and http://bikelib.org/muniguide/index.htm , which has all kinds of information about planning to make communities more bike-friendly).

In my surfing, I also found an interesting site called. "LAB Reform" http://www.labreform.org/ which helped me understand why LAB wasn't as conspicuous among the other advocacy sites as I might have expected.

I don't think I"d mind bike paths if they were well-designed and then (gasp!) maintained and kept clean. It reminds me a little of the "separate but equal" concept. "Here, we built you a path - now go away!!!" (I do use p aths and sidewalks when they make sense for me.)
It's complicated - yes, some of the bike paths here are okay, but the mindset *about* them stinks (far as I can tell, it's only coincidence that they're okay in places, *not* because of planning). However, if the goal is to get more people on bikes, in a lot of places that could mean paths - if only because an awful lot of people seem to think it does. (Here, that is much less true. Our roads and drivers are much less hazardous-seeming than in bigger, busier places.) So, while around here I lean towards educating people and encouraging riding on the roads we have (per http://www.bicyclinglife.com/EffectiveAdvocacy/WhatCyclingNeeds.htm ), I suspect I might think differently if I were in a differnet place and dodging different traffic.

I think an educated public can help. I know in Illinois, every year monies that had been allotted to things like cycling would simply get "given back" to the treasury and put somewhere else - so it looked like things were being funded, but then the dollars went away. When the word got out and people used their voices, a much smaller amount of those monies disappeared. WIthout organizations like LIB people like me would be clueless. It seems to me that one of the best things to do is to join a local and/or national cycling support org because the more people that belong to them, the more clout they'll have when lobbying. If there are 2000 people in the whole state who belong to a bike group, whelp, that's definitely a "small interest group." If it's 10,000 it might be a movement...(50 people a day, and all that ;-) :-)):) :) :)

WHen I'm on the path and somebody goes by me on the bike in the road, I want to say, "YOU ROCK!!!"

CorsairMac
07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
You aren't kidding! I was riding up a road with one of those marked bike lanes and large portions of it were completely awash with dirt, rocks, and of course, glass. So of course I rode on the right third of the car lane. This of course precipated lots of yelling and harassment (the usual stupidity) from motorists, but overwhelmingly from those in SUV's and other gas guzzlers.

Still I find most of the time, all of the road garbage and debris finds its way to the bike lane. IMO the answer is fewer cars, much MUCH more motorist driver education, and integrating cyclists as vehicles.

I tend to hate bike paths for a variety of reasons. For one, it basically removes bikes from the roadway which is concession to motorists. Plus I hate that it reinforces the notion that bikes and cars cannot be on the same path. Finally, they are often littered with off-leash dogs, goat-heads, skateboarding teenagers. Since I ride for fun and fitness, dodging all of these things/folks isn't my cup of tea.

However, unlike car drivers, I don't yell at cyclists on bike paths! :P

I just saw a post from you and thought "yeeehaaa another rider from Abq!" Welcome to the board!

(and now back to our regularly scheduled programme..........................:-D)

mimitabby
07-25-2006, 01:46 PM
This is a great thread.
Write to your governor and/or mayor.

A while back our mayor INVITED suggestions for spending city tax dollars.
I wroteto him that an arterial that i take to work needed a bike lane.

Letters to the editor also work..

you might not get the thing you ask for, but you do get visibility.

I also attended a town meeting in Lake forest Park about the burke gilman trail.
THAT was interesting.

Quillfred
07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
+++!

So how do we go about it? League of American Bicyclists? Local bike advocacy groups (WABA in DC)? Are there other avenues to continue this conversation, like with my representative in Congress (I actually live 1/2 block into Maryland, so I do have a representative in Congress)?

I was thinking of becoming a certified bike instructor through LAB. Any other ideas?

I've been giving this much thought as it is so important. I've considered situations where there has been a strong and fairly quick paradigm shift. The first thing that comes to mind is smoking and the huge changes that have taken place. Of course it's a very different situation but I think it is interesting to study how a huge shift happened and the components that facilitated the change.

Public support has to be there. When health issues became publicized the tide turned against smoking. I'm not sure what it is like where you are, but in Washington State, smoking is no longer allowed inside public places, period. I find that incredible (and wonderful).

The media greatly helped by publicizing the dangers. Here is the parallel. The media. Encouraging healthier behaviors, touting benefits, making it cool to do (ride/commute). Radio/TV ads. Billboards. PR. Even "share the road" or "start seeing bicycles" bumperstickers are good reminders.

But even with infrastructure, unless people feel safe riding it won't happen. I think there needs to be a curb on cell-phone use while driving concurrentwith bike promotion and bike path/trail construction.

I don't use side-of-the-road paths much but when I drive, it does remind me (and others I hope) to watch for other cyclist using the arterial. I agree if they are full of parked cars or other "litter" they can be confusing to drivers who might get at annoyed with cyclists over the white line.

So I will now shut up and join the Bicycle Alliance of Washington. ;)

Geonz
07-27-2006, 05:19 AM
One thing that has truly galled me is that -- very much unlike the oil embargo brouhaha in the early 70's -- the media has focused on "corporate solutions" to the fossil fuel problem. Remember all those little blurbs on saving energy by adjusting thermostats or adding insulation or... yea, that's right, RIDING A BIKE ... but the emphasis was on *changing* our habits, not finding something to else to buy so we could stay parked on our hindquarters (and not parked on a bicycle seat).
So, yea, especially in this relatively small town, I should be seeing how to make cycling a media presence... okay, as soon as I get this online course done. 24 lessons to go..... WILL STOP BEING DISTRACTED NOW>>>>>>

nicolezoie
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I've commuted by bike regularly for 4+ years (on and off for more than 10), and have used both bike lanes and separate bike paths. While each has its benefits and its downsides, I have to say that there is a HUGE problem with public awareness of a cyclists' rights in my area. Many people just don't look beyond the tips of their noses when they're in their cars. It really bothers me. That's part of the reason I try and stay off the main roads as much as possible.

I listen to my iPod when I ride on main roads and bike paths, and I do not give a damn if it's illegal in California. Other than the iPod, I obey all safety laws and keep to the right side of the bike lane. I may not always hear an approaching cyclist, but I'm not blocking the path either. Truthfully, the wind makes more noise than my music does, and I can hardly hear anything as it is.

Sometimes the stress is awful, and the music (mainly the earphones in my ears cutting back on harsh engines) takes the edge off. On my way into work, there is one intersection where I must cross a 2 lane, 50mph road in order to make a left turn at a stoplight, and it's more than I think I can bear sometimes because I have to cut through speeding traffic, who often HONK and drive too close. Even if I have my arm sticking out indicating I'm turning, one eye ahead, one eye back. I make eye contact. If they hit me, it's on THEM, but I'll be out my LIVELYHOOD or even my LIFE...if they even stop!

But even the separate bike paths have problems; mainly the pedestrians who walk 3-4 abreast, blocking the entire lane even if you yell. I give them plenty of warning too - at least 200 feet back I shout LOUD, make eye contact, and make sure they acknowledge my call. And, even when they do, they sometimes just look at you like a deer-in-the-headlights and don't get completely out of the way.

I just needed to vent... I don't have any real solutions to this problem. I've talked with the media and tried to explain the safety side of things, but for all the good it does when not everyone watches the same news channel at 11pm. It's stupid. I've just become increasingly aggressive when I ride, and that's not a good thing because it takes away from the enjoyment of cycling, which is what got me out there in the first place. I just don't care anymore if a car is behind me at a stoplight in the bike lane and I'm blocking their path to make a right hand turn. Or, if I'm in the outside right-turn/straight lane. They ought to be able to see me in my dayglow costume, being aggressive about my position on the road. I am where I am so I can be SEEN and not IGNORED.

donnambr
08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Highly Opinionated Observations from riding my bike in very bike-friendly Portland, OR:

Dedicated multi-use paths are always more expensive than striping bike lanes, generally a lot more. They don't always go where you want to go, which is usually where people travelling in cars want to go, too. When

A well-planned MUP that goes where cyclists need to go can be a wonderful addition to a region's bicycle infrastructure.

Bike lanes are great on roads with certain traffic patterns. It really helps when your state has a law that gives cyclists the right-of-way while they are in the bike lane.

Bike lanes aren't so great when your state has a law that makes you use them if they're there. Not all bike lanes are well-planned. Not all roads or streets need bike lanes.

Bicycle facilities like curb extensions, traffic circles, speed bumps, intersections that force cars to turn but allow bikes to go straight through and other such things that help slow down automobile traffic can make neighborhoods friendlier places, and even people who don't ride bikes appreciate them. Inexperienced cyclists feel more confident about riding.

Not all streets are good places to put bicycle facilities. Not all bicycle facilities make cycling easier or are safe. Sometimes the only way to safely travel on a street or road is to act like a car. There is no excuse for cyclists who choose to remain ignorant of how to ride safely in the road.

Sometimes acting like a car is the most dangerous thing to do. That's why bicycle facilities are so helpful.

Do you notice that my statements are full of contradictions and circular logic? That's because there is no single solution. The best thing regional/city planners can do is look at other places for what works and what doesn't, listen to the experiences of their local cycling population, put in what they hope will work in their area, and be willing to admit mistakes, learn from them, and make corrections when necessary.

tulip
08-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Highly Opinionated Observations from riding my bike in very bike-friendly Portland, OR:

Dedicated multi-use paths are always more expensive than striping bike lanes, generally a lot more. They don't always go where you want to go, which is usually where people travelling in cars want to go, too. When

A well-planned MUP that goes where cyclists need to go can be a wonderful addition to a region's bicycle infrastructure.

Bike lanes are great on roads with certain traffic patterns. It really helps when your state has a law that gives cyclists the right-of-way while they are in the bike lane.

Bike lanes aren't so great when your state has a law that makes you use them if they're there. Not all bike lanes are well-planned. Not all roads or streets need bike lanes.

Bicycle facilities like curb extensions, traffic circles, speed bumps, intersections that force cars to turn but allow bikes to go straight through and other such things that help slow down automobile traffic can make neighborhoods friendlier places, and even people who don't ride bikes appreciate them. Inexperienced cyclists feel more confident about riding.

Not all streets are good places to put bicycle facilities. Not all bicycle facilities make cycling easier or are safe. Sometimes the only way to safely travel on a street or road is to act like a car. There is no excuse for cyclists who choose to remain ignorant of how to ride safely in the road.

Sometimes acting like a car is the most dangerous thing to do. That's why bicycle facilities are so helpful.

Do you notice that my statements are full of contradictions and circular logic? That's because there is no single solution. The best thing regional/city planners can do is look at other places for what works and what doesn't, listen to the experiences of their local cycling population, put in what they hope will work in their area, and be willing to admit mistakes, learn from them, and make corrections when necessary.

I'm taking this to work and putting it on my bulletin board so I can read it every day! I'm a city planner. Thanks!