PDA

View Full Version : Shims for Shimano dual-control levers?

Kalidurga
07-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I finally went for a "real" fitting at a shop with the Serotta fit system. The one thing that we were not able to improve was the reach to the brake/shift levers. Unfortunately, when the tech guy looked in the Shimano catalog, he could only find one style of levers for which Shimano had shims and of course, it wasn't mine. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to get shims for the Shimano Sora dual control lever system?

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to call Shimano directly. There's no way I can afford a new lever system this year.

Fuji Girl
07-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Specialized makes shims for Shimano, and I'm pretty sure they work with Sora. You should try giving them a call or going to your Specialized dealer. After installing your shims, you have to adjust the brake cables, so you might be better off having them do that.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=14890

velogirl
07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I do a lot of bike fit for women. I've been shimming levers for years (before Shimano came out with their fancy shims). I use those little felt/wool carpet squares that you put under furniture that goes on wood floors (I'm sure they have a real name but I can't think of it). They're felt on one side and adhesive on the other. Just depress the lever and insert the shim on the solid part of the lever (inside). You may need to adjust your brakes after doing this if they're running too close to your rims. This, of course, only works on Shimano. I haven't figured out how to do this for Campy, but I understand that there's a shop in Santa Cruz, CA that fabricates custom Campy shims.

Kalidurga
07-23-2006, 03:59 AM
fujigirl: I had looked at the Specialized site, too, and seen the shims that work on the Dura-Ace and Ultegra levers. I'm going to try calling both Shimano and Specialized tomorrow to ask if they'll work on Soras.

velogirl: That's an interesting idea. Does the wool/fabric part compress over time? Do you trim them to make them fit the lever? If I can't get real shims, I may try that.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions!

Fuji Girl
07-23-2006, 08:10 AM
fujigirl: I had looked at the Specialized site, too, and seen the shims that work on the Dura-Ace and Ultegra levers. I'm going to try calling both Shimano and Specialized tomorrow to ask if they'll work on Soras.

The DA and Ultegras are identical in shape to the 105s and Tiagras. I think that must be a load of hooey. Dunno about Soras, though, so definitely check. Sometimes I think that Specialized is full of BS. They advertised their 2005 version of the Jett as "women's specific" but in reality it was *exactly* the same as the current Avatar in 155mm, which is "unisex".

2005 Jett:
http://kozy.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=1&id=3860

2006 Avatar 155:
http://kozy.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3859

velogirl
07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
fujigirl: velogirl: That's an interesting idea. Does the wool/fabric part compress over time? Do you trim them to make them fit the lever? If I can't get real shims, I may try that.

I haven't found them to compress. They're meant to go under heavy furniture, remember, so they seem to remain pretty true.

I don't cut them. I've used both the round and the square and they're smaller than the space where you attach them, so no need to cut. You could also get larger sheets or shapes and cut them down to size.

And for a buck for a sheet of 20, you can afford to replace them once a year or so if you need.

esther231
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
I have Tiagras on my bike. And it just got shims. :) My LBS did it. They went on painlessly and did a great job of making my brakes reachable.

Tiffanie
07-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm going to be lazy here and instead of google I'm just going to ask you gals. :)

What are shims?

gringa loca
07-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Just had EXACTLY the same issue on my Dolce. The LBS ordered some special shims, and when she took them to the mechanic to put on, he showed her how to adjust WITHOUT SHIMS! I don't have my camera right now, but if you on your bike and look at the levers, there is a small hole in the black plastic part. There is a screw like thingy inside that you turn with a screwdriver?( I didn't adjust them the LBS did) and it creates it's own shim.

The Sora's are the only ones like this according to the mechanic.

Hope this helps!

:)

Fredwina
07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm going to be lazy here and instead of google I'm just going to ask you gals. :)

What are shims?
They're little plastic triangle you can stick between your brake lever and it its base, so the lever will be closer to the handle bars

Kathi
07-29-2006, 02:16 PM
If you need or want to change your handlebars, there are 2 models that work, they bring the levers closer to your hands. They are the Modolo Venus bar and the 3T Eva bar. My LBS didn't know about them until I told them.

Kalidurga
07-29-2006, 07:15 PM
I don't have my camera right now, but if you on your bike and look at the levers, there is a small hole in the black plastic part. There is a screw like thingy inside that you turn with a screwdriver?( I didn't adjust them the LBS did) and it creates it's own shim.

The Sora's are the only ones like this according to the mechanic.

Hope this helps!

:)

Hmmm... I called both Specialized and Shimano and neither mentioned anything like that. Though more and more it seems that folks in Customer Service areas really don't know the more esoteric stuff about their own products and companies.

So, I looked at the levers and there is a small screw in the back of lever, in the middle of the hood. Is that what you're referring to, gringa loca? If it's something inside the lever/hood that's exposed when the lever's depressed, then I can't see it.

Between the brake lever screw and velogirl's carpet squares, my bike tech is gonna end up with all sorts of new ideas, thanks to the TE forum.

winddance
07-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Rubber cabinet bumpers really work well, too!

gringa loca
07-30-2006, 05:48 AM
Kalidurga,

If you screw it in, then you will see your levers "shim" and once it's screwed in, when you depress your levers and look inside you will see it.

Unfortunately my husband has our camera, and he's in Chile right now!

What bike do you have? I just got my Dolce in June.

gringa loca
07-30-2006, 05:50 AM
So, I looked at the levers and there is a small screw in the back of lever, in the middle of the hood. Is that what you're referring to, gringa loca?

Sorry not enough coffee yet this morning! So yes, that is exactly it!

Kalidurga
07-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks so much for the info, gringa loca! A few turns of the screw did the trick and it doesn't feel like the brakes need any adjustment (though I will check them when I go for a ride later). Again, I find it funny that Specialized, Shimano and the LBS tech didn't know this simple little thing. :rolleyes:

One word of warning, though, for anyone else who tries this: The screw seems to be plastic. Be careful not to let the screwdriver slip or you can shred the head of the screw.

What bike do you have? I just got my Dolce in June.

I looked at the Dolce and almost bought it. I wasn't too keen on the color, though. I went back for a test ride and ended up talking to another guy in the shop about the type of riding I do, and he steered me towards the TriCross instead of the Dolce. I was concerned about the fit (much less top tube clearance than I was used to) but after a spin down the local side streets I was in love. Now that I've been fit and the brake levers are set, my sleek black pony is just right :D Thanks again!

SR500
08-01-2006, 06:11 AM
I have Tiagras on my bike. And it just got shims. :) My LBS did it. They went on painlessly and did a great job of making my brakes reachable.

I also have Tiagras, and just ordered a set. Anyone have before and after pics?

esther231
08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I don't have pictures, I'm sorry. :mad:

The shims comes out a tiny little bit - it's not totally flush but it's not annoying cause they are black like the hood and have the same curve. They extend less about 1/16 of inch. Tiny. The shim goes between the hood and the brake lever. (I didn't install them, that's simply what it looks like to me.) I think he had to shape them alittle bit before he put them in. It couldn't have been much cause the whole thing took a couple of minutes. And it couldn't have been the part that extends cause that's completely smooth and has a manufacturing mark on it.

I hope someone who knows more than I do or has pictures shows up and gets on this thread.

Let us know how it goes? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. They really do make a difference.