PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Motivation Techniques

snowtulip
07-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi Ladies,
So I've been a slacker, since we got back from all the mtb. riding in Guatemala in March, I haven't really been riding. My excuse was that the forests were closed and it was too hot to ride anywhere else.

Well, the forests opened up last week and I was excited, but now I'm so out of shape and can't keep up with anyone, that I'm once again losing motivation.

What works for you all to get back on the bike?

Thanks for all of your wisdom!:D

fatbottomedgurl
07-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Find some gals to ride with who are willing to slow down and take breaks as you build up your endurance. I look forward to my rides with my girls and would not go out nearly as often without them, especially in the heat and humidity we've been having. I am often the slowest but they always wait for me at the top and give me a chance to breathe. Or maybe you can find someone at your level to encourage each other. I didn't know anyone to ride with but asked at my LBS and they hooked me up.

RoadRaven
07-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey there SnowTulip
I know it can be very hard to get back on the bike after a bit of time off it

I have found watching the Tour a great motivator for me getting on the bike indoors (its winter here)

But my biggest intrinsic motivation is me "personal bests". I have courses I regularly ride, and little hills I try and conquer.
No-one else's times on these matter to me... its about seeing my improvement...

For example there is a nasty little pinch of a hill, only about 600metres long, but we estimate about 10-11% gradient.

When I first started riding (21 months ago) I had to walk part of it, then stop and rest coming up it... then it took me 6 minutes... the other day I rode up it in 4:45 minutes...

Another example is my first commute to work - 23km from my gate to outside the campus...
20 months ago it took me and hour and 10 minutes. Last month I did it in just over 45 minutes.

Thats what motivates me. I don't try and do PBs all the time, so the days I just ride at a steady pace, I know I am preparing to attempt another PB...

My greatest extrinsic motivation is my partner and my my oldest sons, who all encourage me and see every achievement I make as something as big as their achievements (they ride in the top grades locally... so are so far ahead of me in terms of ability its ridiculous). But having them believe in me, be interested when I do a PB, and want to hear the details of my race... that makes a huge difference in my wanting to get out on a bike again...

Good luck with finding your motivation, Tulip
:)

snowtulip
07-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your suggestions! My girls are all too fast now (instead of doing nothing during the closure they were good and went to spin and road riding), so I might have to find another clan for the moment.

RR, thanks for the reminder about goals, although I'll be frustrated at first that I'm not doing as well as I was earlier this year, I've got to take baby steps again. I talked to hubby and he reminded me that I seem to enjoy working toward a goal, he's doing the Durango 100 next month, so I might take this as a starting point to train for an endurance event (although not next month!).

I'll have to pick rocknrollgirls brain on her endurance events and get my butt off the couch!!!

Thanks for the advice!:D