PDA

View Full Version : AuntieK and yellow's TT adventure

yellow
07-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Yesterday evening AuntieK and I indulged in the pleasure of doing a time trial here next to the big salty lake. This TT was part of a summer-long series, with a TT every 2 weeks.

It's a very short on--10k, on an out-and-back--but still long enough to make your quads scream. And given the air temperature, it did a number on my lungs as well. In the daily ride thread, AK called it "95 degree temperature". According to my car thermometer, it was 98 degrees F, which means that if we're rounding to the nearest 5, it was closer to 100 degree temperature!:p And the humidity was even high for Salt Lake: 23%. I must be getting acclimated to the heat, though, as physically I didn't even notice it during the TT. It's when I was standing still that I remembered that it was hot. And afterwards my lungs were a tad fried from all the heavy breathing of hot air.

We weren't the slowest ones out there, though we were most definitely in the bottom 5. BUT, we also were among the few that didn't have disc wheels, full bug suits, and super aero helmets. And AK didn't use aero bars and apparently had brake rub. I think we both did pretty well, given the circumstances. We had a little bit of a headwind on the return, but it wasn't as bad as I've experienced at other times out in the same general vicinity.

I did a couple of TTs last year in California with SadieKate. Those were 10 mile courses, so a little longer. My average speed on this one was a full mph slower than my fastest in Cali. Since I'm a year older, does that balance out? :rolleyes: Goes to show that new fancy wheels will not necessarily make up for physical deficiencies!

Afterwards I asked AK if she's do it again. She thought for a second and said, "Well, it's like childbirth. Right afterwards you say 'no way!' But I'll probably be talking about the next time on the drive home." I get the feeling she'll be out there again!

Even though this was a super-fancy racer-boy type event, I didn't feel too out of place. The folks running the event were really nice, let me know that I was breaking the racing rules by wearing a sleeveless jersey (:confused: I didn't know you have to wear sleeves!), and coached me on how to start whilst being held up (at the other TT series in Cali you start on your own).

I'll probably do it again. If anything, it's great training for my brain. And next time I'll wear a sleeved jersey!

AuntieK
07-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Great report, Yellow!
Yes, five minutes down the road I was already talking about "next time." :p
But, I think next time will be when the weather cools down. That heat was brutal! My face was beet red for at least an hour after we finished (sort of like this: :mad: only with this expression: :D )

Veronica
07-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Why do you have to have sleeves? Are short sleeves okay or does it have to be long sleeves?

V.

yellow
07-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Why do you have to have sleeves? Are short sleeves okay or does it have to be long sleeves?
Short sleeves are OK. Not sure why sleeves are required (seems to be a USCF rule). Maybe some racing veteran can explain the logic. They let me ride anyway, since I am a citizen poseur! :p

SadieKate
07-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Yellow, ask your short sleeve question on the BJ time trial thread. Wonder if other parts of the country have the same rule or if it is just because Davis is so liberal. Hmm, wonder if I can get SPD-compatible Birkies.

Off to ride Phil's and talk Bubba into a Storm King cruise.

skibum
07-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Yes, it's a USCF rule. No explanation why in the rulebook but it does explicitly state: "Sleeveless jerseys shall be forbidden".

yellow
07-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Hmmmm...I wonder what the logic behind this is. Less space for advertising on the jersey (which could affect the sponsors)? Less exposed skin that could be subject to road rash in your local crit crash fest (less to "clean up")? Tattoo coverage? Better masking of BO whilst in the peloton? :p

Edit: where's spazz when you need her? I'm sure she can come up with some good reasons.

maillotpois
07-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey congrats on the TT - sounds like fun. Those folks sound a little more serious than the Davis guys, though. Harumph!!

spazzdog
07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi... I'm here!

BZ had to fetch me. I was burying a bone out in the yard for later :D

It's been a rule for 100 yrs (dog yrs).

Same with the shorts.

It is the 'uniform' for the sport. Baseball, football... cycling uniform. Period.

From the USCF rulebook (2005):

1K2. Jerseys must be worn in all races and shall cover the shoulders. No additional equipment, whether worn over or under a rider's uniform, which has the effect of reducing wind resistance is permitted, except in the case of inclement weather, additional covering designed solely to protect against precipitation or cold may be worn. However, shoe covers are permitted in any conditions.

And for you gals that want to race and love that 'US Postal jersey:

1L4. Club Jerseys. In competition, no rider shall wear the emblem, inscription, or uniform of any club or team which the rider is not eligible to represent [Offending rider may not be permitted to start if noted before the race; otherwise, warning for first offense].

AuntieK
07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Thought I'd share some pics of the event.
Here are Yellow and I before the race began (I've got to get some new sunglasses--those are really ugly!):

This is me being held up for the race countdown (not sure I liked being held up, felt a little funny being clipped in with both feet and not moving):

Yellow, I sent the photos DH took of you to your email address. I'll let you post them if you want to.

yellow
07-21-2006, 03:38 PM
AK, your sungalsses kind of look like George's (Hincapie). So I think it's safe to wear them!

Spazz, so you couldn't wear tights? I'm thinking about all those poor folks that did Logan to Jackson (200 mile road race here) last year in the snow. That's a little extreme!

Here's my start. Looks like I'm famous or something with the camera on me!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Rides/SaltairSue.jpg

spazzdog
07-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure if the same rules apply for 'extreme' sports.

The USCF rules apply for road and track racing, generally the types of races found in World and Olympic competition.

There may be a different governing body for the ironbutt stuff.

Plus, just because there is a 'race', doesn't mean it's necessarily sanctioned by a governing organization.

Lise
07-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Great stories and pictures, you guys! Very impressive.

23% humidity? I'm surprised you didn't actually crack in the heat.

This morning when I woke up, the radio said 90% humidity. When I got back from my run/walk/drip sweat, it said 100% humidity. You can swing on down this way when you need to re-hydrate! :p L.

Bike Goddess
07-22-2006, 10:25 AM
THANKS FOR THE GREAT PHOTOS. Look at those gorgeous ladies in front of those beautiful mountains. What a scene! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for sharing!

Geonz
07-22-2006, 12:19 PM
awesome, awesome :-) :)