PDA

View Full Version : poll: TdF viewing habits

profŕvélo
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Are you any less addicted to the Tour because of Lance's absence? Are you even more into it because it's more exciting? Are you watching it for the first time this year?

mimitabby
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
After Lance and his team dominating the TdF for years, it is a relief to me that
others are now making the news.

Nanci
07-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't have cable, so I don't ever get to "watch." But I read the paper and get it on the web. I was more invested in the Lance Years, especially toward the end. I really cared that he broke the record, and then broke it again. It's always amazing when a record is broken in any sport.

I became _more_ interested this year after a lot of the favorites were dropped. It was like Post Lance, but even better- with even better chances for the underdogs.

Geonz
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Like Nanci, except that I can pull up ongoing stuff on my 'puter at work. If no students are here, I'll sneak in some audio.
Next couple days will be interesting! It's a whole new race ... again ...

Cassandra_Cain
07-19-2006, 12:04 PM
IMO - it is definitely more interesting and exciting now. For one, it is actually a race and there's a lot of intrigue, changes, and challenges. The previous 7 years it too often became a formality to Paris and a fight for 2nd or 3rd.

The race coverage on OLN is generally good, but oftentimes obsessed with Lance and co. Lance this, Lance that - even a bit of objectivity would be nice!

I'm not a Lance fan, but to be fair, any competition, no matter if it is Lance or someone else winning it - gets more than a bit stale when the same person wins 7 years in a row!

caligurl
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
i answered same amount.... i've been watching for 10 years now.... started watching when i met hubby.... at the end of the indurain era! (so i'm not a 99er!)

i don't think it's as interesting this year as other years... i'm seriously thinking we're seeing the first CLEAN tour in a long time... cuz SO MANY just aren't doing well!

dobielover1
07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
We record it in the morning and then watch it at night so that we can fly through the commercials. I'm on vacation this week, so I've been watching live in the morning.
I've always been a big Lance fan...but I find the tour a little more exciting this year because it's so unpredictable.

chickwhorips
07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
i find it interesting to watch with all the tactics everyone has. i'm watching it the same as i had previous two years. though i do like it better this year because at the end of the day you never know who's going to be in yellow. and the ones you expect, or at least i expect, never are in yellow. thought i am learning.

Tri Girl
07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
I LOVE Lance, but I really like the tour this year, because it's so up in the air. Perhaps this is the first really clean tour yet, and it's making things very interesting. I like not "knowing" who's going to come to Paris at the end of the tour. I like all the unknowns and twists and turns. I DVR it in the mornings, then watch it in the evening (better to fast forward thru commercials).
This is my favorite tour so far, but I do miss that amazing cyclist (Lance, of course).

Eden
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm in the recording camp too - that way I can have my ride and watch it too. The hardest part is not hearing or seeing what happened before I can watch it. NPR isn't even safe!
As far as this year goes I think its more exciting than ever. There has been no clear dominant rider. I don't think I've ever watched a tour that has been this crazy and I've been watching on and off for nigh on 20 years now :eek: Admittedly the only coverage I could ever get in the past - pre OLN was the several hour on the weekend recaps on the network channels, so it was not until recently that I really understood and began to enjoy the incredible teamwork and dedication it takes to win a race like Le Tour.

HappyAnika
07-19-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm watching it for the first time this year, although I kept track of it online the last 2 years. Our normal dish package doesn't come with OLN. They gave us a free preview the first week and DH and I got hooked. We upgraded our package just so we can watch it, then we'll downgrade afer its over. Its sucking my life away every evening watching it, but then its too hot to do much else!

veloputt
07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm watching the same amount this year--which is about as much as I can--prefer the live coverage (sans Al & Bob), but have to leave for work before it ends (PST), and read on-line updates & the reruns at night. I've been hooked since the Indurain era (before Lance learned how to climb!). I think this year is one of the GC best competitions in years.

I don't like reading comments about how "bad" the guys are this year. We're seeing a real race of equals. Goes to show just how strong Lance and Ullrich & their teams were to dominate the past decade!

bcipam
07-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I always watched (and the Giro and Vuelta as well) as long as they have been on OLN. Doesn't matter to me who's winning or doing what. Frankly I really like looking at the scenary and dreaming of someday travelling overseas to ride. I did like watching Lance - what an athlete!!!! I thought he made the Tour exciting. This year has had its ups and downs but it's ups are awesome - like today!!!!

tulip
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I started watching in the mid-1980s at the end of the Bernard Hinault era and the beginning of the Greg Lemond era. I think my favorite racer is Laurent Fignon. I was in Paris for the finish the first time Indurain won. Crazy Spaniards in the streets!

I don't have cable, so I can't watch the Tour, but I do follow it on Eurosport.com and cycling.tv.

Diggles
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I never watched...and now I don't own a television so...even less.:D

light_sabe_r
07-20-2006, 01:39 PM
First time watching it. I'm not a LANDIS or LANCE fan... But I'm a ROBBIE McEWEN, CADEL EVANS, STUART O'GRADY and MICHAEL ROGERS fan!!! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OI OI OI! lol

hehehe. I'm rooting for McEwen to hang onto his Green jersey in the last stage! Now that Boonan's pulled out he's still like 35 points ahead of Everybody!
Rogers and Evans are still in the hunt for the Yellow! I'm going for Evans! (can you tell I'm a Davitamon Lotto fan??) But I don't think this year it's his... MAYBE next year.

It's just so enthralling to watch the team tactics. Like T Mobile... They're a bloody strong team!

chickwhorips
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OI OI OI! lol

makes me want to have a beer. :D

light_sabe_r
07-20-2006, 05:11 PM
makes me want to have a beer. :D

gives chickwhorips a XXXX

:P

WrensMom
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
ORIGINAL: Diggles
I never watched...and now I don't own a television so...even less.
Woo, another person without a TV!:D We haven't had one the whole time we have been married (each left TV with previous spouse and never got another one). But I have been mildly into the TDF for a some time, like since the early 90's. Not a rabid fan, and mostly out of the loop on details, but I do find it interesting.

Deanna
07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Technically I guess I should have selected more as there is more coverage, thanks to Lance. If coverage had always been like it is now, I would be watching it the same. I've been watching since the last time Lemond won, I think back then we were lucky to get half an hour at 11:30 at night, then maybe a little bit of coverage in the middle of the day.