PDA

View Full Version : Surfing

spokewench
07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
One of my best friends turned 50 years old this year and she has always wanted to learn to surf. Of course, that is one thing I've never done before. I'm the one who doesn't like water too much because of a bad experience in my early years. This friend happens to be one of my teammates for 24 hour races (that we used to do together), so it's all or nothing!

But, here we go, we are going to a clinic in August in La Jolla to learn to surf. Who would ever have thought it!

Anyone have any advice for a newbie surfer that is a little worried about water?:eek:

chickwhorips
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
don't be scared. not sure what happened to you before, but remember if all else fails you can get on top of the board out of the water and slowly paddle back in if your uncomfortable. though there is nothing to worry about. you won't be off shore that far and there will be a bunch of other people around you.

as far as body goes to help out, having good core strength to get up on the board and keep your balance, upper body strength to paddle out there will really help.

once you get out there and catch your first wave, there is nothing like it. the feel is amazing.

the lessons will be good. sometimes i wish i had them. all my instruction was is this:
-paddle out
-when i tell you to paddle hard, you paddle hard and then stand up.

there gave you your first lesson.

spokewench
07-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the support and the First Lesson!

It should be a great adventure

spokewench
08-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Well, Lois and I made it back from a week's worth of surfing camp in La Jolla - Surf Diva School. It was great and yes, I got up and rode the waves! It was pretty exciting. The waves most days were not very big so I was not very scared. One day they were pretty big and really steep so I had a couple of spectacular crashes which scared me a little, but I kept going at it!

I'm glad I faced my fears cause I had a good time in the water! (Very unusual for me) I sprained my hand and have a great big bruise on the back of my knee but other than that, I am hale and hearty and riding my bike again!

Ahh, I still like riding my bike better!

chickwhorips
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
i am so happy to hear you went out and tried it! good for you!!!

think you'll try it again?

spokewench
08-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Maybe. Since I live in Arizona, it is really something I have to plan to do, but the next time my hubby wants to go on a cruise and there is surfin, maybe I'll try it again.

Trek420
08-22-2006, 03:01 PM
spokewench "Anyone have any advice for a newbie surfer that is a little worried about water?:eek:"

Have you checked with Queen? She works at a dive shop last I heard.

tangentgirl
05-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Reviving this thread, 'cause...

I'm gonna be a surfer! Lalalalalaaaaalalaa.....

My boy got me a wetsuit and lessons for my bday. I picked up my wetsuit and can't wait to start. I'm going to get out in the water this weekend, even if I just boogie board.

It's been a while since this thread was up. Does anyone else here surf? I can't wait to spend my summer biking and surfing and making jewelry (and oh yeah working)!

Pax
05-25-2007, 03:47 AM
I surf whenever I'm in FL visiting my folks, I utterly suck at it but just LOVE it. :p

chickwhorips
05-25-2007, 10:38 AM
right on tangentgirl!!! have fun!

Pika
05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
girls that can surf!
I took my first surf lessons 2 years ago on the west coast of vancouver island- ( read "cold water surfing").
I still LOVED it- unfortunately we are 6 hrs + ferry ride + more hours to closest surfing spot.:(
but... that doesn't stop the secret training.
I took a 6ft long piece of MDF and fashioned it into a surfboard ( painted with groovy 60 flowers and all) then I put it on my bosu. I thought then I could practice my "pop-ups". Works great-... when I remember to practice that is- anyone else for a 26hr day to fit in all the leisure activiites...hmm how ccould I swing that....

RedCanny
06-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Spokewrench- I know this surfing post of yours was awhile ago, but thanks for mentioning the Jolla Surf Diva School. I'm looking into a vacation later this year in which I can try surfing, and I may check out that school. Sounds like fun!

spokewench
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi Ladies!

As I hate being taught anything by my husband cause he is my husband and treats me differently than he would a friend, I would recommend taking lessons for surfing from someone other than your SO or Hubby. And, I would recommend taking some classes, it really makes it a lot easier! I have heard these stories from Men that I know that say surfing is so hard and they are very impressed that I got up and was surfing in the first week.

IT is hard, but I really don't think it is that difficult if I can do it in a couple of days with my fears of water - so go take some lessons and do some pushups before you go. It really helps to have some upper arm push up strength and some good core (abdomen strength)! Oh, and if you can practice on a long skateboard that will help too, but put lots of pads on! (I did not do this, but one gal did and she was a natural on the surfboard.)

I really recommend the Surf Diva school at La Jolla. It was a great experience and they had all ladies classes! Go Longboarding! Wish I could join you, it would be fun to do again!

spoke

spokewench
06-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm on the right and she's on the left.

To all the Wahines of the World!

spokewench
06-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Woops, attached the wrong picture.

That was my holding the board on the beach and this is Lois and me surfin!

chickwhorips
06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
makes me wish i was there and doing that.

you look great!

Pax
06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Woops, attached the wrong picture.

That was my holding the board on the beach and this is Lois and me surfin!

Wow!! I am so jealous!!!

We were planning a camping trip for vacation in August but now we're re-thinking and may head to FL and stay with my folks...right near New Smyrna Beach and some excellent surfing! :D

tangentgirl
06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Awesome pics, Spokewench!

I took my second lesson this morning. So much fun. I really, really had a hard time going to work afterwards. I wanted to rest up and then go out there again. I think I like this A LOT. I'm trying to figure out how to go again this weekend. And maybe get my hands on a board of my own - guess it's time to scour the Craigslist.

spokewench
06-11-2007, 08:23 AM
I wish I lived closer to surfin water! I would go a lot if I could. Ah well, living in the mountains has its benefits too!

spoke

tangentgirl
07-30-2007, 09:09 PM
So, um, anyone know of any message boards like this one, but, well, for surfing? Not that I don't love this place (I lurk much more than I post), and certainly not that I don't love my bike (poor bike stays in the garage every morning while I run out and do a certain other sport), but, well...I was warned that this would happen.

My Google skills must be limited, 'cause I haven't found anything nearly as cool as TE in the surfinating arena.

Pax
07-31-2007, 04:02 AM
Here's a couple I found, I think it's more difficult to find anything on surfing since the word got co-opted to describe wandering around the internet. :rolleyes:

http://www.surfing-waves.com/forum/index.php

http://www.surfforum.com/cgi-bin/domains/com/surfforum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

BTW - I'm off the FL on Friday to see my folks...with any luck I'll be on a board at least once while I'm there!! :cool:

tangentgirl
07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks! Have fun in FL!