PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Decide what to buy

PRGirl
07-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi, I’m looking to purchase a road bike. I presently have Bianchi Hybrid (12 years old), 30 lbs which I like since its upright. My husband bought a 17.5 lbs road bike and I need lighter so I can keep up a little. Longest ride -23 miles.

.I’m around 5’4”, 56 years, pretty good shape doing spinning 3 times a week. I have tried two bikes the Ruby Comp (51) and yesterday the Synapse Feminie (50) and must say that they both feel like a dream. Since I tested in two different bike shops and really couldn’t tell which was I truly liked better. Reviews for these bikes say they are more upright and comfortable

Hubby thinks I need to go carbon since its more comfortable even tough is a lot of money. .

How do you decide? Should I try to find a place with both bikes? What about fitting? they just put you on the bike but no real measurement are taken. First they put me in 48, then she said it was too tight, and went to a Ruby 51”

Looking for lighter bike with good components and a wide range of gears and COMFORTABLE.

What about the gears, should it be compact, 2 or 3?

Any information will be appreciated, as you can see I’m kind of lost. Prefer to spend more and get the right thing from the beginning. We used to bike for fun before kids, now they are gone and we have starting biking more since we enjoyed it.
:confused:

tulip
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Fit is very individual, as is preference for materials. If you don't think you need a full carbon bike, then there is no reason to get one! They are expensive and fragile, in my opinion.

Steel is quite nice to ride, too, especially with a carbon fork. It might be something you wish to consider. Jamis makes some really nice steel bikes. I prefer steel/carbon to aluminum. Aluminum bikes, for me, are rough and uncomfortable.

Your body proportions will largely determine fit, too. For instance, I'm 5'-6" and I ride a 49cm road bike. Most people would say that's too small for me, but it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden, ever, and I've ridden alot of bikes.

So pay attention to fit, including (or especially) the top tube length. Keep riding bikes and you will find one that calls out to you. Good luck.

bcipam
07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Tulip really said it all. If money is an issue I would consider getting a steel bike as well. I ride steel and love it. The new steel bikes are lighweight and responsive, just as light as carbon. I've had too many friends buy carbon frames which they crack within a year of two and need to replaced. If you have an accident, most likely you'll crack the frame.

Look at Lemond bikes - they make some beautiful steel models. Jamis as well. Pay very close attention to fit. You must be measured for each different bike as manufacturers measure their bikes differently. I ride anywhere from a 51cm to 56cm (I'm 5'8"). Amazing difference huh? Fit means not just stand over but reach and position.

Just my opinion unless you are very strong, young and plan on racing, go for the triple... you will thank me later.

WrensMom
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I just got a Bianchi Veloce, with a triple (gotta have my granny ring!), and I am very impressed with how light it is. It's a steel bike with a carbon fork. My DH (the bike guru of the family) advised me to stick with steel if possible, for the ride and for the fixability. He loves titanium too, but it is more pricey and not as easily repaired if need be. I saw that Salsa has a cool road frame that is steel also (I think it is called La Raza). There are quite a few nice steel bikes out there that are lightweight if you look around.

Kathi
07-18-2006, 08:29 PM
What are your goals for riding. Do you see yourself going beyond 23 miles, riding tours, centuries, longer distances or group rides. How often do you ride? What is the quality of roads that you ride? Is the pavement smooth or pretty rough, like chip n seal? Is the terrain hilly or flat?

A good carbon frame will dampen the the buzz from the road, aluminum is more jarring, steel somewhere in between.

Bicycling is like any other sport, as you grow you will want better equipment. If you're not sure of your goals then buy the cheaper frame and upgrade to a better frame later.

Gearing is a matter of preference. It also depends on the terrain you are riding. I've not used a triple even though I'm used to climbing hills. I prefer a compact double, smaller rings in the front. 48-34 with a 13-29 in the rear. But there are riders who swear by triples. Triples come with a 52T big ring in the front. The ring is too large for me to use so I figure, why have it. I do lose a little on the downhills but I'm usually doing some braking so I don't care.

Shimano 105, Ultregra and Dura-Ace are the top 3 in the Shimano line, Veloce, Chorus and Record are the tops in Campy. Most bike manufactures use Shimano but are mixing it with different companies so a bike that has mostly 105 would be a good choice.

Weight matters too especially if you are a lightweight rider. How much difference is there in the weights of the bikes you are looking at? Better components and wheels will reduce the weight and make climbing easier.

Don't be afraid of carbon, a well made carbon frame will last for many years and many miles. Mine is 6 yrs old and has 16,000 miles on it. It's showing no signs of cracking or fatigue. The company has a crash replacement policy in the event something happens to it. My SO has a Trek 2100 that he bought in the mid 90's. It was one of the first carbon frames on the market. It has aluminum lugs. He still rides it and has not had any problems with it. However, he does like his steel Independent Fabrication better.

No matter what bike you chose if it doesn't fit well, you won't want to ride it, so make the shop does a good job of fitting you.

kaybee
07-20-2006, 01:05 PM
PRGirl, you've been given some very good advice here. I just wanted to chime in as a Ruby Comp owner. Like you, I wasn't able to ride the Ruby and the other bike I was considering at the same shop. In fact, they were 120 miles apart! However, after riding lots of bikes I just "knew" that the Ruby was the one, because she was comfortable the first time I sat on her. By the way, I'm also 5'4" and I ride a 51, but as everyone else has said, fit is a very individual thing.

I love the ride of the carbon frame, and since the bike is almost five pounds lighter than what I was riding before, the compact double is fine for me, even though we live in a hilly area. I don't worry about the durability of the carbon frame.

Get the bike that fits you the best and that you can afford, and then enjoy it. A reputable shop will measure you and do a fitting, especially if they know you are serious about buying a bike. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

KB

PRGirl
07-21-2006, 03:43 AM
I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I will let you know what I decide. I will have to try them more than one time to really get a feel, and take my time.

PRGirl
07-23-2006, 09:19 PM
:) Went on Sat and tried the Ruby comp and the Synapse Feminie (50) on the same day. I really like the Synapse it just a more steady ride and comfortable.

So they have ordered the bike in Charcoal with gold tones with a triple like some suggested including my brother that rides a lot. Its beautiful bike and feels great.

However, I will probably have buyers remorse for a few months. The good thing is that they had 10% off in all their road bikes because of the Tour especially since the bike just came out.

The bike will be here no later than next Friday so I will be on the trails this weekend.

kaybee
07-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Congratulations, that's a beautiful bike! Don't worry about the buyer's remorse -- you'll get over it after a couple of rides. ;) Let us know how you like it.

KB

Kathi
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
My first small road bike was a Cannondale.

I looked at it on the Cannondale web site. It looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll have many happy rides together.