PDA

View Full Version : New tires: Is it my imagination?

Flatlander
07-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I just put some Michelin Pro 2 tires on my road bike, replacing the originals, VIttoria HSD, which were starting to have some tread separation after only 500 miiles.

The Michelins were the top recomendations on a triathlon forum on which I lurk, so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

Anyway, I noticed (or think I noticed) right away that the ride seems...more supple? Smoother? More like butter?

Is this possible, or is it my imagination? Both tires have a smooth bead--the only difference between them is that the Michelins do, in fact, seem more supple off the wheels than the stiffer-walled Vittorias...Would that make a difference in how the ride feels to me?

SalsaMTB
07-18-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm not familiar with the tires you are referring to, but generally speaking, tires can make a significant difference in how a ride feels. It probably isn't your imagination, the tires probably to make it a more supple ride.

tulip
07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I liked the ride of the Michelin Pro Race tires, but they sure didn't last too long. You may want to bring a folding tire with you on rides... I tire shredded on a ride (and I had not had them very long). I switched to Secas.

Flatlander
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I liked the ride of the Michelin Pro Race tires, but they sure didn't last too long. You may want to bring a folding tire with you on rides... I tire shredded on a ride (and I had not had them very long). I switched to Secas.

Thanks for the head's up!

Now for the next question: what is a folding tire? When I got my michelins, they came folded up...are they folding tires?

DebW
07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the head's up!

Now for the next question: what is a folding tire? When I got my michelins, they came folded up...are they folding tires?

Yup, if it came folded up, it is a folding tire. Folding tires have a flexible bead (Kevlar?) so they can be folded and carried in a seat pack on the bike. Wire-bead tired won't fold (except maybe into smaller circles).

Flatlander
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Yup, if it came folded up, it is a folding tire. Folding tires have a flexible bead (Kevlar?) so they can be folded and carried in a seat pack on the bike. Wire-bead tired won't fold (except maybe into smaller circles).

Thanks! I'll look for an inexpensive tire to keep in the bag for emergencies.

tulip
07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Well, folding tires are generally not inexpensive, given the kevlar bead...It think they are around $40, but when you're stranded in the boondocks, it's the best $40 you'll spend.

maillotpois
07-18-2006, 04:05 PM

I've been using Pro Race (and now the new version, Pro Race 2) for years. I have never had any problem with them - and I go through 3 - 4 a year. They generally last 2500 - 3000 on the rear and about 5000 in the front. Maybe you just got a bad tire?

I've even ridden one of them well past the point at which it should have been changed (I just stopped paying attention for a few weeks there and when I looked again, the thing had over 3000 miles and you could see all the inside fibers of the tire!)

ridebikeme
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
I have used that exact tire a number of times, and although they ride very nice generally don't last all that long. I have had great luck with the Hutchisons.. Fusion COmp or the Long Distance version of that. Another great tire is Maxxis.. they have the Coucherval(sp?) that is around the same price and another great folding one around $30.

The more expensive tires do roll much easier, are stickier as far as leaning into the corners, and tend to make us feel much faster and happier to be on the bike:):)

Flatlander
07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
This is really useful info--thanks!

I saw the two Maxxis on sale at one of my local LBSs this afternoon. One was a comparable price to what I paid for the Pro 2, the other was ~$30. I'll see how the Pro 2s go for awhile and maybe try the Maxxis next for comparison.

The more I ride the new tires, the more I like the feel.

tulip
07-18-2006, 04:39 PM
I've been using Pro Race (and now the new version, Pro Race 2) for years. I have never had any problem with them - and I go through 3 - 4 a year. They generally last 2500 - 3000 on the rear and about 5000 in the front. Maybe you just got a bad tire?

I've even ridden one of them well past the point at which it should have been changed (I just stopped paying attention for a few weeks there and when I looked again, the thing had over 3000 miles and you could see all the inside fibers of the tire!)

I expect my tires to last more than a year, and certainly wouldn't accept going through 3-4 per year. I don't race any more, but I do ride alot. My brother had the same problem with his Michelin Race Pros, too. I like Michelin. I'm French, after all. But just not that model, for my particular and personal use.