PDA

View Full Version : Question for Endurolyte users

salsabike
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
We got Endurolyte capsules for the Seattle to Portland ride, on Susan O.'s advice. We've never taken them before. It's going to be in the high 70s. Do we need to take them even if it's not too hot? Do we still take one an hour? Any advice/experience would be welcome--thanks.

spokewench
07-14-2006, 08:22 AM
My advice to you is never take anything on a long bike ride (especially one you have paid for) if you have not tried it before on training rides!

yellow
07-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Good advice, SW. I take endurolytes if it's 80 F or above, but then the ambient temps are higher here. I take 2/hour and I weigh about 125. A friend that I ride with can't take them though; they make her cramp up.

I also do all Hammer on all long rides (Sustained Energy and Hammer Gel in addition to the Endurolytes). It took some time for me to get the "routine" down, though, especially for rides longer than about 4 hours.

salsabike
07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree with the not changing anything rule, as well. We got them in case it got hot. I take it if the temp stays below 80 or so, we are safer NOT taking them for the first time.

maillotpois
07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I really like them for rides when it is too hot to drink sports drink. Sometimes sports drink just doesn't go down well for me in the heat. So endurolytes and plaint water are great.

SnowAngel
07-22-2006, 03:21 PM
This may be a little late for your needs, but I would say to bring them just in case... I just finished a 50 mile mt bike race and at mile 40 I had cramping (legs) issues. I popped two endurolites and within 5 min the cramps had dissapated. There is a first time for everything, right? If you have cramping issues w/ your legs, there may not be another solution for you at that time. Sure beats getting in the sag wagon!!!:p

salsabike
07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
We brought 'em, and after the first 100 miles, when the sun came out, we each took one an hour for the next six hours. No problems.