PDA

View Full Version : Ow

betagirl
07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
So, went to the dermatologist to have a few spots checked and for the annual review (albeit several months late). I had a new mole on my big toe that looked iffy so he cut it off. The mole, not my toe :D The local anesthetic wore off, so now the damn thing hurts like a mo fo. As soon as he said he was taking it off and it'd take 2 weeks before the stitches would come out, my first question was "can I ride my bike before then???" The chance of it being melanoma is small, but I'll find out about that on Tuesday or so. Not really going to worry about it until he gives me something to worry about.

I have issues. And a sore toe. :)

DrBee
07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Good luck Beta! Did he say how long the toe would hurt? That is lousy!

maillotpois
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Ah! I feel your pain. I got a few moles cut off last year, and they each got a stich or two. Then my dermatologist (who's a riding buddy) decided one of them looked suspicious, so she cut a big chunk out of my leg and I ended up with about 12 stitches there. I think she did it to slow me down.... she's very competitive. :D

Hope the toe feels better. That is a terribly awkward spot!! Good thing it is sandal season.

betagirl
07-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Fish, I've had other moles removed in the past and it's usually sore for only a day or 2. It was pretty small and not really deep, so hopefully it'll be ok by the weekend. I have a long ride planned :D

And yes, I think she was trying to slow you down M.

Lise
07-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Beta, sorry to hear it. I had one removed from my back once. This is the true reason to never break up with a live in love--somebody's gotta put that bandaid on your back. Now a toe--easier to dress. I hope it's a lot better by the weekend, and that you get a good report.

MP--conspiracy theory. Very good. :cool: L.

Fuji Girl
07-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey beta - the toe is more difficult - it's a curved as opposed to flat surface, so there's tension on the skin from all angles. Also, the squamous epithelium there is much much thicker than in other parts of your skin, like your arm or something, so they may have had to go deeper for clean margins. Regardless, it hurts. Try some NSAIDs or, if that doesn't work, a topical cocaine solution does wonders if you can get your hands on it. Ice might help too.

Lise - Heider says hi. He does remember you.

betagirl
07-14-2006, 03:13 AM
Topical cocaine?! Sweet. Do I have to go to the west side to get that? :D

Lise
07-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Good point about the toe. I imagine you could find topical cocaine in your neighborhood, but it might be easier to just roll to a stop at an intersection on the west side, unclip one shoe, and make known your wishes. Voila! And you're off. Or maybe fuji has it in the formulary there at the Big Hospital. All sorts of maaarvelous drugs...:cool:

fuji--I say hi back to Heider! Thanks for letting me know. We spent many an hour together there in L&D.

Dianyla
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Ugh, reminds me of the time I had three big deep moles excised from my back. They were right up and down my spine and they hurt like a mother! Especially reaching my arms forward and feeling the tension on the stitches. :eek:

KnottedYet
07-15-2006, 07:47 AM
When I had a skin-booger taken off my big toe the darn thing hurt so bad I walked with a cane for a couple days!

did I mention that I'm a total wimp?

(ps, it was benign)

betagirl
07-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I think I'm over the pain hump. Yesterday I accidentally bent my toe and stretched the stitches. Blood everywhere. :D It clotted back up so I'm good. I'm itching to be on my bike though. I also have a cold and it's about a million degrees with a million % humidity here this weekend, so I guess I have somewhat of an excuse not to ride.