PDA

View Full Version : New bike pressures (Not saddlesores)

plantluvver
07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Gals,
I need some input to counteract the pressures BF is putting on me.

OK, I haven't been diligent in getting my old bikes running. A week or so ago BF crammed my steel framed Schwinn into the pack of his pick up, cracking the brake cable housing. A freind was going to fix it for me, but I couldn't find the break and he decided I didn't have a problem. I did not want to try this repair without supervision. So yesterday, I was going to just duct tape the housing together, figuring if I aligned it right it would work just fine. And at least, I woldn't be making the problem worse.

BF said he'd replace the cable for me, but wanted to bring it to LBS in case they needed to measure the length needed. Once at LBS, he admitted that he hadn't done this repair. But it seemed reasonable to leave the bike there, as it may have gotten fixed. in time for my ride. THis bike has many problems, and I own a second bike with a better frame, but I've never ridden.

I tried two bikes, a Specialized Sequoia, and a cheaper bike (300). BF thought I could buy the bike, and ride it out of the store. NO WAY! I don't want to shell out $700 after riding 2 bikes! And if I did, I wouldn't attempt my first ride on a route where it is 3-4 miles between public transit access, in an industrial area, with a return trip after dark.

This LBS is having a sale this weekend, Ten percent off of everything. So BF thinks I should buy one of the two bikes in the next few days. My reasoning is:

1)This LBS carries Specialized and Raleigh, so I can't see enough bikes in a single store.

2) If a shop can mark it's entire inventory down by 10%, then I think I can walk in any day and get a similar deal, if I an insistent. I figure a business would be crazy to do this kind of markdown, if it was not making at least a slim profit.

3) On the Sequoia, he put me on a small frame first, then when I said that I felt uncomfortable, he said to try a medium frame. Are frames actually named small, medium large? And shouldn't he be able to get me on the right frame to begin with, even just by eyeballing me? I am 5'7".

4)BF picked a bike for me to try, a mountain bike type. (I tried explaining to BF why this bike would not be a good choice. The guy pulled it out of the rack, without asking what kind of riding I'd be doing. Granted, I can understand that a LBS would be silly to refuse to sell me a bike I wanted, but isn't there some implicit responsibility for them to educate the customer, even when the customer doesn't know they need an education. I then explained the riding I would do, and he steered me toward a hybrid.

5) Sequoia is an aluminum frame. I think I prefer steel. I am heavy (250lbs.) LBS says frame is warrantied for life. I want confidence in my frame, not a warranty. I am suspicious of aluminum frames on low to medium end bikes. I realize there are new welding methods, but I just don't know enough.

I think BF now realizes that I already know more than he does. But he winds up giving me rides when my bike is in disrepair. But it is his own fault. I didn't need to be in a bike shop, when I had something else to do. I was perfectly willing to do a 1.5 hour public transit/ walk commute, rather than the 45 minute bike ride. (Actually, these times are much longer than they will be later on, when I have shed lbs/gained muscle). Note I am not contradicting myself, the bike route is entirely different than the transit route, which is very undesireable, down really bad bike corridors.

I don't mind spending the money, if I need to, to get a bike I want. I just want to make sure that if I spend that much money, It is a perfect bike. I pointed out to BF my current bike WAS a $250 bike when new, (I think?It was the top of the line Scwinn in its day.)

Arggh just thought of another question, but I'll post separate.

Mary