PDA

View Full Version : new here

kate
11-12-2003, 06:16 AM
hi, i have been browsing here for a few weeks now and this sou
I nds like a real good place to be. I just got my road bike a month ago and ride about 1 or 2 days a week. Last Sunday I rode 21 miles and I am soooo sore. I bought a Terry Butterfly 2 weeks ago and have used it twice. How long does it take to get used to a new saddle? I read here somewhere about the Ergo saddle and I looked it up. It looks really wierd, don't you slide off? Does anyone have this saddle and do you like it? I need some help with this soreness before I give up. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do the 21 miles but that was all I could take.

I am one of the grannies that is new to biking and love to hear all the tips from you gals.

Kate from South Florida

foxdba
11-12-2003, 06:46 AM
I have used a Serfas for Women for about 1600 miles with very little soreness. I have found that if your shorts bunch up you can become very sore. I also found that I had to tilt the nose down just ever so slightly. Here is a web site for Serfas.
http://www.serfas.com/comfort_saddles/comfort_saddles_4.html.

Did a bike store fit you to your saddle? My bike store will also switch out saddles until you find one that you like.

Don't give up, it sounds like you are doing really well. I also am a newbie this year to road biking and have found that a good bike store makes all the differance in the world.

Sorry, no information on the Ergo saddle.

kate
11-12-2003, 07:16 AM
thanks for your reply FOXDBA

No, my store didn't fit me for my saddle, I had been reading here all about the Butterfly and thought I would try it.

I guess I should have mentioned that I have been spinning for 5 1/2 months and thought that would have toughend me up.

I will look up the serfas but I have been spending so much money on this biking that I hoped that I just needed some more time in the saddle. Also, I will have my husband tilt the saddle down a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks, Kate

foxdba
11-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Cycling can be expensive. I would adjust your saddle but only a little at a time. It can make a world of differance. I've heard that if your front hurts adjusting the nose down helps and if it is the back area that hurts adjusting the nose up a little would help.

I've never tried spinning. Is it fun?

emily_in_nc
11-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Hi Kate,

Welcome! I ride a Terry Butterfly, and it took me about a month of riding to get over the initial sit-bone soreness from it. Once I did, it was great. Since saddles are pricy, I'd advise you not to give up yet. The Butterfly is definitely the most popular saddle in my bike club among the ladies, and there's a reason for that, though I know it doesn't suit everyone.

Good luck and keep riding!

Emily

kate
11-12-2003, 09:20 AM
My husband has been nagging me to spin for about 6 years. I finally broke down and tried it. I think it is probably good training for cycling. It is a great aerobically and has strengthend my quads. We go 3 times a week and have met lots of nice people who are the ones that got us interested in cycling. It is a tremendous workout and lots of fun.

By the way, I am wearing Pearl Izumi shorts and I think they fit pretty well.

annie
11-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Kate,

Are you sore from pressure or sore from chafing, that is, the shorts or the saddle rubbing you in the wrong places? If that's what it is, liberal use of some type of chamois creme should help stop the friction and make riding more comfortable. If it's pressure, I would agree with trying to tilt the saddle just a bit and see if you can find a more comfortable position. Sometimes moving the saddle a tiny bit for or aft can also put you in a more comfortable position. Good luck!

Steph_in_TX
11-12-2003, 11:26 AM
I agree with Emily...give the Butterfly some more time. I can't remember how long it took me to get used to it, but it wasn't all that long. I've got about 600 miles on it and I'm totally happy with it.

Stephanie