PDA

View Full Version : A Ride I Heard About

Kano
07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Had a note yesterday from "my" bike club -- SPIN (www.spinidaho.org). It was passing along information about a ride that might just be interesting!

Here's the web link: http://www.cyclingcrazy.com -- on the right, there's the link to the "Walowa Classic" that is coming up at the beginning of September.

Does anyone know anything about the area??????

Karen in Boise

TsPoet
07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I've camped at the lake and hiked in the area. It ought to be a beautiful ride. At first I thought the elevation gain would be extreme - none of that area is flat. But, after reading the breif description, it shouldn't be too bad. If it's the main road between those cities they are moderately well-traveled 2-lane 50 mph roads. I don't remember much in the way of shoulders (but I was driving and not looking for them).
I think I'd be tempted to do the Elgin option, my memory is that the road gets prettier as it gets closer to the lake, but I could be off on that. The campsite at the lake is a very nice one for car camping, nice facilities and moderately private for a public campground.
I'm booked up this year, but plan on bookmarking the site for next year. If you go, you'll have to report back.

Aint Doody
07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
The area is beautiful. It's been called North America's Alps. Several friends and I are planning to do the ride. Should be great.......

mimitabby
07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know anything about the area??????

Karen in Boise

It's one of the most beautiful places in the world. Chief Joseph's spirit is there.

Tater
07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
I have also camped in the area and just loved it! Beautiful area.

Kano
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
How about hills? Big ones? Lots of the invisible kind that sneak up on you and wear you down? I probably can't really, but flats feel like "I can ride forever" -- hills of ANY sort, on the other hand....

Hubby says I should probably not even think about this ride this year, and he's most likely right, I should wait until next summer -- but geez, to think that a few months ago, I wouldn't even have been tempted!

Hopefully, the organizers will decide it's been successful enough to do it again, so I'll have the opportunity some day!

Karen in Boise