PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Fest - Appleton, WI

SJCzar
07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Anyone planning on doing this ride?

http://www.paperfest.com/tour-de-fest.htm

I did it last year and it was a very nice ride. It was their first year and they did a great job, so this year should only be better.

How about it janetsplanet ? Up for the 70 miler this year ?

mtbdarby
07-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Sue,
What's the course like - flat, hilly, out in the open, covered by trees, etc? I emailed you, I'll let you know next week.

Dar

SJCzar
07-13-2006, 09:08 AM
It was a fairly flat course. There were some rolling hills but no real climbs that I remember. There was a nice long flat stretch that paralleled the lake. A portion of the ride was also on the bike path. At lot of it was on open county roads but there were some shaded areas on the route as well. Last year the weather was humid and in the low 90's and it was still very enjoyable. They had really friendly volunteers at the rest stops and a great selection of treats.

janetsplanet
07-16-2006, 05:11 AM
I am not sure if I can do the entire ride or not this year.
I severed my tendon on my pinky 4 weeks ago and I get the splint off and checked on 072406. Right now I am only able to do about 25 miles without the hand going numb.
It was getting better but last weekend I got caught on Lake Michigan in 3 foot waves in a kayak and being the beginner that I am, I clutched and freaked out. :eek: :eek: By the time I got off the lake, my finger got about 2x bigger than it should.
The doctor was mad I was even trying to ride and paddle but geee summer is a short season right?
I have gotton back to 10 miles with no problem so far and not sure where I will be by then. I paid for it but will have to let you know...I would think I may be able to do the 40 again but again, it depends on the finger...

I am still waiting for you to tell us about your trip.....

SJCzar
07-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Yes, at this point I think the 70 miler would not be a good choice for you. If the routes run like last year, we could hang together for most of your distance. I sure hope the weather isn't like this past weekend. That was a killer for riding.

Look for GRABAAWR under Adventure Stories. mtbdarby and I both wrote about how much fun we had on that trip.

janetsplanet
07-20-2006, 01:19 PM
I just got back from my doctor and he said no go on the ride Saturday.
Sorry Sue. With any luck next week the splint may come off and with a little therapy there should be no surgery.
Maybe i can have a little summer yet.:rolleyes:
I have a friend Martha who is riding this year that you would really enjoy riding with.
I wish there was a way to hook you two up.
What time are you going to start?

SJCzar
07-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Sorry you can't make it. There's still lots of nice riding weather left in the fall.

I was planning to start by 8:00. I'll be driving up early from our cottage and then going back there afterwards. Since I want to do the 70 miles, I wanted to get started as soon as I could. If your friend was planning on starting around then I'd be happy to meet up with her.