PDA

View Full Version : Need Help -- Have a Squeak

kaybee
07-11-2006, 07:28 AM
My bike has developed a squeak that is irritating me. It squeaks when I shift, but not every time. I can't tell if it's coming from the front (the shift lever) or from the rear derailleur. I took it to my LBS last week to have it checked and they couldn't hear it (of course not, sweetheart, you have the radio blasting throughout the shop! :rolleyes: ), but I hear it very clearly when I'm riding. Can anyone tell me where to start to figure out where the squeak is coming from and hopefully remedy it? I'm embarrassed to admit that I know more about how my car works than how this bike works, but that's going to change.

Thanks!

KB

Eden
07-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Kind of a chirpy, bird like squeak when you shift the rear? That could be the jockey wheels (the little wheels on the rear derailleur) - they have a bearing in the middle that might need some lubrication, or they may need to be replaced if the hole that the bearing fits into is no longer round. They are pretty cheap and easy to fix though. The parts costs about $15 and if you are a little handy you can replace them yourself.

DebW
07-11-2006, 07:42 AM
That's a tough one. Does it squeak with front shifts or rear shifts? Between all gears or just some? Can you hear it with the bike stationary (on a repair stand), or only when riding and under pressure? Try shifting with the rear wheel removed and see if it still squeaks. You could try greasing the cables (remove them from the casing, grease, and reinsert). Maybe a drop of oil in the right place in the levers (probably where the lever pivots). Sorry I can't be more helpful.

kaybee
07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Eden, yes, that's exactly what it sounds like! In fact, when I first heard it, I thought it WAS just the birds singing, since we ride out in the country all the time and I do hear birds quite a bit. That bearing shouldn't need replacing, though -- I've only had the bike for about a month. I'll ask LBS to check that out. But first I'm going to try Deb's suggestion of putting a drop of oil where the levers pivot. That might just solve the problem, but if it doesn't we're off to the LBS with our newly-found knowledge. Thanks for the info!

KB

DebW
07-11-2006, 11:08 AM
If you remove the rear wheel and it still squeaks when you throw the shift lever, it's not the jockey wheels but probably the lever or cable. If it might be the jockey wheels, drop some oil on them. If they are new, then they probably only need oil.

kaybee
07-12-2006, 04:27 AM
Thank Deb! I'll try that Saturday, when I have some time and DH is available to help -- meaning do it for me. I know -- I'm such a girl, but he's the engineer in the family! I really appreciate the responses. I knew you all would know what to look for.

KB

SnappyPix
07-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Wow, that's really useful.

I've had a similar squeak for about 6 months now. :o
I'm trying to put off getting my bike serviced!
The squeak always happens when I'm shifting down at the back.
I've spent hours and hours and hours carefully lubing the cables and every single moving part on my little squeaky bike.
I think mine might be the jockey wheel (greased that too, so sounds like it might be worn).
Time for a trip to the LBS I think! Thinking of changing the rear cassette anyway, so will get them to look at it.

Thanks guys!

kaybee
07-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Problem solved with a couple of strategically-placed drops of lube on the rear derailleur. Thanks, ladies!

KB

DebW
07-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Problem solved with a couple of strategically-placed drops of lube on the rear derailleur. Thanks, ladies!

KB

WooHoo! Score one for TeamTE and Eden's ornithology lesson. Can we call this one the jockey-bird? The whisper-bird still remains to be located, but we're zeroing in on that one. Maybe we need a recording of cyclebird calls.