PDA

View Full Version : Margarita Recipes?

KnottedYet
07-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Ok, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I don't know how to make a real Margarita.

I buy mix at the grocery store, and the cheapest tequila I can find at the state liquor store, and randomly mix them together in a salted-rim glass.

Teach me! Mold me! Show me the way to true Margarita bliss! Gimme your favorite recipes!

(ps: I like 'em on the rocks rather than blended. Sometimes with no ice at all.)

margo49
07-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Actually I asked Knotted what was a Margarita in a PM
She wrote back talking about buying a mix at the supermarket.
So I wrote back saying what mix? :confused: what supermarket?:confused:
What is a girl/woman/personne to do if she has only lemons and limes that *grow* on actual *trees* ?

DirtDiva
07-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Juice 'em and buy some Cointreau/Grand Marnier/triple sec. I think a real deal margarita is two parts gold tequila, one part Cointreau and one part lime juice, shaken with ice and strained. I much prefer the blended, icey slushy version, personally, and I never measure the parts (which is the only bit of the recipe I'm hazy on). You're supposed to salt the glass by running a piece of lime around the rim and then dipping it in the salt.

Right. That's my last post until I come up with an appropriate way to celebrate 1000 posts. :D

Trek420
07-10-2006, 04:35 AM
tlkiwi "That's my last post until I come up with an appropriate way to celebrate 1000 posts. :D"

we could have Margaritas? :D

Paging Spazzdog to the Margaritas thread. I've heard that she makes great ones.

TrekJeni
07-10-2006, 06:14 AM
While it's not a true Margarita, it's pretty darn good.

Take your left over Lemon Lime Gatorade and mix with Tequila. I made some up for our TNT team and they loved them!

Jeni

bikerz
07-10-2006, 07:27 AM
What is a girl/woman/personne to do if she has only lemons and limes that *grow* on actual *trees* ?

Woo - you're going to have some great margaritas!

here's one of my favorite recipes - from Mark Milller's Coyote Cafe in Santa Fe:

1.5 Tbs superfine sugar
3 Tbs mexican lime juice
1.5 oz tequila (the better the tequila, the better the margarita!)
1 tsp triple sec

Half fill a shaker glass with ice, shake all ingredients to gether, strain into a chilled martini glass, garnish with lime/salt if desired.

I like it on the rocks too. The grand marnier float on top is optional.

(good for a broken nose, I hear!)

jillm
07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Hello,

I've been nosing around here for over 2 years and it's taken a question about margaritas to break my silence! Sorry if it's a long post but I'm typing the recipe directly from the book:

Frontera's Gold Margarita
makes about 4 cups, servings 8 (8 PUNY servings)

1 2/3 c Cuervo Especial gold tequila
1/4 plus 1 t Gran Torres orange liqueur
or 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
1/2 cup plus 1 T fresh lime Juice (about 2-3 limes)
Finely grated zest of 1 1/2 limes (about 1 t)
5 T sugar
Lime wedges
Coarse salt

1. Steeping the Margarita mixture: Mix the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, lime zest. sugar and 1 cup water in a pitcher until sugar dissolves. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no more than 24 hours. Strain into another pitcher.

2. Finishing and serving the margaritas: Rub the rims of 8 martini or other 6- to 8-ounce glasses with a lime wedge, then dip the rims in a dish of coarse salt. Refrigerate the glasses if desired.

Serve the margaritas either straight-up or ont he rocks in the prepared glasses

This is from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen (which also has an excellent recipe for Garlic Soup)

Enjoy!
Jill

margo49
07-10-2006, 11:27 AM
(good for a broken nose, I hear!)

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Dr. C
07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Start with tequilla that is 100% blue Agave Tequilla, the other stuff is BAD! and will give you a hang over!!!
The some triple sec or cointreu or use a splash or orange juice.
then buy a bunch of lemons and limes. Slice about half of them up and juice the rest.
Use 1 part Oj, 3 parts lemon and lime juice and 2 parts Tequilla! We make them by the pitch for parties! Everyone loves them, but watch out you can't taste the alcohol in them some most people drink more then the would normally!

melissam
07-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Start with tequilla that is 100% blue Agave Tequilla, the other stuff is BAD! and will give you a hang over!!!

Yup, I'm with the Good Doctor on that one!

During my mis-spent 20's, I had a friend who made margaritas with a combination of frozen limeade concentrate, tequila, and beer. I wish I could remember the exact proportions -- must have killed those particular brain cells.

Let's see, here's a standard margarita recipe:

1.5 oz tequila
.5 oz triple sec
1.5 oz sweet & sour

Shake 'er up, and pour over ice. Add a half shot of Gran Marnier.

Que bueno! :D

-- Melissa

jillm
05-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Here's a great recipe to go with your margaritas- Chile-crusted tuna tacos. Yum!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chile-Crusted-Tuna-Tacos-108386

ZenSojourner
05-05-2009, 08:38 AM
OMG, so it is! Cinco de Mayo that is.

*passing on the chile-crusted tuna tacos tho* :eek:

maillotpois
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow - those tacos look GREAT!

Susan Otcenas
05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Here's a great recipe to go with your margaritas- Chile-crusted tuna tacos. Yum!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chile-Crusted-Tuna-Tacos-108386

OK, that looks amazing. Now I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!

GLC1968
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I know the Margarita request was old, but this is my favorite:

Buy a can of frozen Minutemaid limeade and let it partially thaw.

Blend it in a blender with 1 can of tequila and 1/3 can of triple sec and ice.

YUM!

For any margarita, you want 3 parts tequila to one part triple sec and then some type of sweetened mixer (limeade, fresh juice and superfine sugar, crappy store bought margarita mix, sour mix, etc). This can be blended with ice or just served over it (my favorite) or chilled and served as a martini, with or without salt on the rim of the glass.

As a licensed bartender, my recommendation is to use mid-grade tequilla (the good stuff is for drinking straight!), good quality triple sec (Grand Marnier works well) and the best quality mixer you can find to get a great margarita. :D

OakLeaf
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Fresh squeezed lime juice. Blue Curaçao. Grand marnier (just a splash). Cuervo white. A slice of jalapeño (two, if they're not very hot). No sweetener necessary, plenty of sugar in the liqueur. Mmmmmm.

(This reminds me of a comedy sketch someone did, talking about someone who was supposed to sing the song "Tequila" and couldn't remember the words... :cool:)

uforgot
05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
How on earth did I miss this thread? I'm interested in any and all recipes! I have an ex who insisted that a scoop of lime sherbet was necessary for a good Margarita.

Becky
05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
What the heck, I'll play....

I got this recipe from a coworker, and it's one of the best I've tried. Bear with me as I try to remember the exact amounts.

1.5 oz. lime juice
0.5 oz. Rose's Lime
2-3 oz. of triple sec (Coworker recommends 2.5 oz. triple sec and 0.5 oz. Gran Marnier- I prefer a little less orange flavor and use about 2 oz. of TS)
2-3 oz. of your preferred tequila

Shake well with ice, and enjoy :)

Susan Otcenas
05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
OK, that looks amazing. Now I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!

I did it! I made these for dinner this evening. They were fantastic!

The orange juice/chipotle/vinegar sauce was very spicy, which I like, but was a little overpowering. If I made it again (which I'm sure I will) I would cut the chipotle a little.

The jicama/lime/cilantro combo is so yummy that I kept snitching from the bowl I mixed it in. I would make this combo alone as a really healthy "salad". I love jicama!

I used Tumaro multigrain tortillas instead of plain flour tortillas.

FYI for any WeightWatchers folks out there - 1 serving is 7 points.

Thanks again jillm for posting this yummy recipe!

Susan

spazzdog
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
I do have a "blue ribbon" winner of a Margarita but I can't share the recipe without then having to kill you ;)

I am, however, very intrigued by the chipotle recipe...

spazz

Possegal
05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
My nephew, God rest his soul, made the greatest margaritas I've ever had! A couple days after he died, we noticed a blenderful of some in the freezer. We drank it and toasted him. I'll have to ask about the recipe, I just remember that there was a dash of beer in there, part of the secret. :)

Reesha
05-24-2009, 07:05 PM
For an extra delicious, classic margarita, I use

1 oz layenda del milagro tequila blanco
1/2 oz cointreau
1 tablespoon of agave syrup
And as much fresh squeezed lime juice as you like!

I mean really, the strength is up to you. I like mine medium-weak, because otherwise I'll be a wreck.

In my opinion, it's the agave syrup that really makes it.