PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season training

RoxGirl77
11-02-2003, 04:06 PM
What activities do most of you bikers do in the winter? I'm taking up Cross-Country skiing big time this year, as I want to be in better shape than I was this year for the "24 hours" relay.

MightyMitre
11-03-2003, 03:17 AM
Apart from the occasions when it's just too wet and windy we can ride pretty much all winter here - although some days you have to wrap up.

I generally try and do some swimming and/or sauna to help ease the stiffness after riding in the cold and I've also just started yoga for strength and suppleness.

Would love to try skiing - especially cross country. My sister-in-law lives in Calgary and he father- in -law lives in Canmore. Maybe it's time I organised a trip out to visist them....;)

wenever
11-03-2003, 09:26 AM
After I started riding 6 years ago, I have found that the best results came from a combination of strength training (gradually harder throughout the off season), and endurance training using preferably cross country skiing or running. To keep the bicycle muscles in shape, I do a couple of spinning classes a week (usually in combination with the strength training). Cross country skiing has especially a great effect on your endurance because your are using more muscles of your body and the ones close to your heart. And, you get to go outside! It takes some time to get the technique just right, but with practice...

The imortant thing is to focus on quality (not quantity) and to keep yourself motivated during off season by varying your training methods. Try yoga, pilates, core training, etc that you normally don't have time for during the season. Also, plan your training and keep a journal - it's the only way you learn what works and what doesn't. Or, if you can afford it, get a personal trainer

Good luck!:)

pedalfaster
11-03-2003, 04:47 PM
I just try not to become a total slug in the winter. I amuse myself by : mountain biking when possible (it's warmer in the trees), xc skiing (when we have enough snow), running, swimming (indoors!), lifting (ugh), walking the dog, and doing yoga and pilates as needed. I drag out the trainer a couple-a times a week and find it's easier to do if I can gather up a few friends and a video. Drinking wine and reading good books still rank high on my list for "winter training" too ;) and what about shovelling snow? That's gotta count for something, right?

RoxGirl77
11-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by pedalfaster
... and what about shovelling snow? That's gotta count for something, right?

Agreed! I had to shovel off a snow drift that was up to my knees last weekend! That was the hardest workout of the week for me!!!:p