PDA

View Full Version : A weird question...

Glassy
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Hi!
As you may notice, I'm new in this forum. I cycle as much as possible, although not as much as many of the rest of you pros! ) I ride maybe 100 miles per week. I use cycling mainly to get in shape for other sports (such as hockey) without putting stress on my knees (as running does). Anyway, the more I cycle, the more I enjoy it and I would like to start going longer distances, but I have a question. I've been reading about the nutritional requirements for long distance cycling, so just for fun I spot-checked my diet. I am usually consuming under 1500 calories per day! Now I know that at 5'7" and 120lbs at my heaviest, I'm not going to need to eat huge amounts, but this seems low if I want to be an endurance cyclist... actually, it has me thinking about other sports too, but thats a different story. So anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about whether this is okay and if its not, what to do about it. (I am a pretty healthy eater but sometimes forget to eat, I really don't have a big appetite at all most of the time. That is my biggest problem - for example I just ate dinner, a half a piece of chicken, half a baked potato and some salad, and I'm FULL. I really find it hard to meet my nutritional needs without eating tons of cake and pie and stuff (tee hee hee)Anyway, any advice on nutrition or how many miles I should be biking to improve would be appreciated!

Glassy

Dogmama
07-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi!
I really find it hard to meet my nutritional needs without eating tons of cake and pie and stuff (tee hee hee)Anyway, any advice on nutrition or how many miles I should be biking to improve would be appreciated!Glassy

Yup, lots of nutrition in cakes & pies. :confused:

You may find that as you increase your miles, your appetite increases. In any case, before riding you need to take in some carbs and a little protein. An english muffin (or half of one) maybe some low fat cottage cheese - or - a protein shake of milk + whey protein.

Plan to put something in your water bottle to give yourself a boost. I like cytomax, some people like gatorade, you need to experiment. I add a spoonful of protein powder (vanilla) with the cytomax because muscles will take up protein while you're riding and the fast carbs help keep you from bonking. You might check out the power gels on the market - a little bit of goo = more miles.

After riding, more protein & fast carbs. I like a protein shake & english muffin or some such combination. You need to feed your muscles because you've depleted the glycogen. If you fail to do this, you might have problems with energy on your next ride (depending on how often you ride.) If you ride every day, you MUST refuel after each ride.

Actually, your dinner sounded quite healthy.

Grog
07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi and a warm welcome to TE (even if this isn't your first post).

I also experience the full stomach situation, and that's okay because my stomach is small. I just fill it more times every day, so basically I usually have about 5 meals a day. Even when I am really very hungry I can't eat very big quantities, but I wait until I can eat again and have significant snacks (combining carbs and proteins while avoiding fat, which takes care of itself) through the day.

As you cycle more and spend more energy you'll probably get crazily hungry. Last year was my first year on the bike and boy! did I eat. I don't notice it as much nowadays but I know I eat more than the average chickie. This being said, 1500 calories as a base is not that bad. Do make sure you intake some fuel on the bike though, as it has been said already...

And, by the way, don't freak out if you gain weight. That's muscle. And it's good for you.

Brandy
07-09-2006, 06:18 AM
After riding, more protein & fast carbs. I like a protein shake & english muffin or some such combination.

My favorite is non-fat cottage cheese and peanut butter stirred together and on top of a whole wheat english muffin. I swear that it's good!

Glassy
07-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the advice all... I think you are right, I need to start snacking. I usually only eat 2-3 times per day. Lots of snacks!!! and thanks for the suggestion, I keep hearing cottage cheese so I will buy some and try it. Also, maybe I need a blender...

Grog
07-09-2006, 07:26 AM
My favorite is non-fat cottage cheese and peanut butter stirred together and on top of a whole wheat english muffin. I swear that it's good!

Add honey and it's perfect!!

(And fresh raspberries or strawberries, if available.)

Brandy
07-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Add honey and it's perfect!!

(And fresh raspberries or strawberries, if available.)

I sometimes add Splenda if I have a sweet tooth. :D