PDA

View Full Version : Evulsion/Avulsion Fracture after Triathlon!!!

JerusalemBiker
07-08-2006, 12:18 AM
I have been diagnosed with an evulsion fracture in my left big toe (side of foot, really) after a triathlon last Friday (1 week ago)!!! I have no idea how I managed to do this -- felt nothing other than the usual torment during the triathlon itself. The doctor said i must have somehow bent the foot wrong, and the ligament pulled the bone.

A week later i can now walk nearly normally.

The question is -- what kind of activity is okay? The doctor said no running for 6 weeks!!! But that everything else that doesn't hurt is fine. I usually bike for transportation but have not been back on the bike yet. I have been swimming with a pull buoy but think that i am almost ready to get rid of the pullbuoy because the toe no longer hurts. I guess I'm lucky to be a triathlete because I can at least do other activities even if I can't run. But what about biking (I'm worried about the twisting motion to get out of the pedal), water running, stairmaster, etc?

Does anyone have experience with this?

I've been doing triathlons for the past year and a half, and love them (personal best: 2:16 in Olympic). I don't want to get out of shape due to this injury....would love your advice!

Miriam

Lise
07-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Hi, Miriam, welcome! I don't have any experience with that kind of injury, so no advice to offer, except to suggest that you find a sports PT or podiatrist and get some expert opinions. It would be a shame to reinjure it, or make it worse. Keep us posted--no doubt someone with a similar injury will soon be searching this thread to see what you learned.

Where did you do your tri? Open water? I've been to Israel a couple of times, and it would be fun to imagine your course.

hawatc
07-10-2006, 05:48 AM
I agree with Lise...you need to see an orthopedic physician if you have not already AND consult with a sports medicine specialized physical therapist. Do you know exactly which tendon avulsed and where? That would be helpful in giving you advise regarding training (I am an athletic trainer, so work with athletic injuries on a daily basis!). Good luck and keep us posted!

KSH
07-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the injury!

I was just talking to someone yesterday... and I was commenting on the fact that people who "compete" in sports should be the healthiest people alive... but we are always nursing injuries and doing it was some amount of pain.

I also commented to the fact that when I worked out in the gym... before training for tri's... I never had any injuries!

Then I think about the quote in my sig line... and keep moving forward!

Finally... just see what you can phyiscally do without pain. I would think that you could ride your bike, as the shoes are very hard and should provide support/protection for your toe.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

JenB
07-31-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi Miriam,

I'm new to the forum (although I have been to Team Estrogen before). I feel your pain!

My GP doc said no riding until I at least see the ortho doc. She also has me buddy taping it to the next toe and wearing a weird velcro shoe while walking around. I am swimming while avoiding kicking and using my good foot to kick off. Before I finally went to see the doc (because I couldn't run without pain) I was riding my bike on the broken toe not realizing it was broken - but now that it's been diagnosed and the doctor said not to I am waiting until I get the okay from the Ortho doc. Normally I would go ahead - if it doesn't hurt then do it - but because I don't want any long lasting repercussions including arthritis in the toe I am following the doc's prescription.

That's my experience and .02. Hope it helps some. I know it is VERY frustrating. Oh, and I am also doing some core strengthening while waiting. Don't want inertia to set in!

Jen