PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use a Lumbar Pack

Quillfred
07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
When I did my charity ride I used a Deuter backpack with an H2O reservior which felt very heavy and somewhat obscured my over-the-left-shoulder vision.

I am curious if a lumbar pack could be used fairly comfortably on long rides as some have a double bottle potential and a little space for clothes.

Quillfred

sunrunner
07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I have two different lumbar paks that I use...one is a lumbar camel bak pack....it's great because i can use it when running or riding....it is comfortable, and has a place to put my keys, ID, a snack, and cell phone, plus holds TONS of water....the other one I have holds water bottles - again comfy....a little tougher to get the bottles out though to drink, but i like that i can hold a snack, some water, and my keys and stuff. my preference is the camel back for loooong rides.....but that's just me....and i'm one of those folks that HAS to drink a lot of wter....otherwise i get too tired

newfsmith
07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
I originally started with a 70 oz Vaude hydration pack, but it chafed my neck. I tried a 50 oz Camelbak Siren, but it made my back & neck ache on long rides. Then I converted a Camelbak FlashFlo 45 oz to a handlebar mount. That fixed the aches, but left no room for my raingear. I moved the bladder into a larger lumbar pack so that my handlebar bag carrys my food, maps, camera, and raingear and the lumbar pack handles water, keys, wallet, etc. On long rides I carry an extra bottle in a cage to refill the bladder. This works well for me.