PDA

View Full Version : Running Coach Update - Week 11- Running is HARD!

KSH
07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, we started the meeting in the office so I could complete some drills. After about 30 minutes of that, we headed out to the running trail.

He basically gave me 80 meters to run for my tempo runs.

My focus was to keep my knees up and to push with my feet. I have a real problem with being agressive with my running and PUSHING off the ground.

When I did start to push... I WAS FAST! Or, at least I felt fast.

I was SO WINDED though. To the point where I could not even TALK! I was huffing-and-puffing. My legs felt fine, but my cardio fitness was obvious crap.

I completed 12 of those tempo runs, so basically 960 meters.

Let me tell you what though, what he has me doing... is real running. I have always struggled with running. And that was when I was doing my passive running form.

This running style... mid-foot strike/plant...driving my knee up... high cadence... pushing off the ground... IS HARD! For some odd reason I thought that when I learned how to run properly, it would easier. Boy, was I wrong!

I am going to keep plugging away and I am sure I will be able to run a 5K in a couple of months.

In the end though, I'm just proud that I am sticking with this. I could have given up when my running whet to hell because of injuries... but instead of giving up triathlons... I found a coach and I am trying to improve and fix my form.

This following week I have 3 days of my 13 running drills and 2 days of running 1 mile each day. 1 mile???? It will be in tempo run ... but I can't imagine running a mile!

chickwhorips
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
your doing it and sticking to it. that's all that matters. even if it isn't exactly easy.

maybe i can get you to give me advice once i'm 100% recovered and back to my running speed. (which isn't very fast at all)

colby
07-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Running, YAY!

Maybe after you run for longer distances at better speed you'll really feel the difference more. Right now everything is such a strain since you lost a lot of your cardio ability :(

Progress is progress!

Lise
07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Good for you! You are a champ for sticking with it. I've learned a lot from what you've shared here.

triathfirstimer
07-07-2006, 09:11 PM
wow! id LOVE to learn to REALLY run properly! I was reading an article about how when you think about it, no one ever really learns how to run, they just do it. its so absurd when most other athletics - tennis, golf, swimming, biking, boxing, etc, you really have to be taught. thats why we end up with such innefficiant strides! it also said that the reason why men from Africa end up winning so many marathons is because they learn to run barefoot, which is actually a more efficiant stride than running with sneakers. very interesting!

Anyway - good for you for pushing through. enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, and even if you dont complete the full mile on some days, give yourself a big pat on the back for getting out there and trying. thats more than many people do!

KSH
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, you are right. So many people don't learn how to run. But most can just do it... and it works out just fine for them... no injuries and they run fast. Unfortunately, my body doesn't work that way! HA!

I ran for the first time on Sunday (outside of my appointments). My task was to run 400 meters (1 time around the track), 5 times. YEA! RIGHT???!!!

I tried, but couldn't make it. So, I would run the straight away's and walk the curves. Even that was so taxing on me. It was really, really hard.

Tonight I run 150 (staight away with 1/2 a curve) yards x 12. We will see how it goes.

My coach doesn't understand how poor my cardio is for running at this point.

KSH
07-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Well... I went and ran my 12, 150's around the track.

WOW! I am going to be FAST ladies! I think my money on my coach has been well spent.

True, I can't run much more than 150 without walking... but once my cardio gets up to par... WATCH OUT! :D

My boyfriend timed me on a 150, and IF I could keep that pace, I will be running a 5:30 minute mile! :eek:

Obviously, I won't be able to keep my 150 speed... but it's looking very realistic that I will be running under 10 minute miles- EASY! (Well, easy with a whole lot of work and effort, and huffing and puffing!)

I'm suppose to run again tonight (Wed), but OMG... my muscles are sore. And I need to run Thursday with my coach.

So, I may just do drills tonight. I hate to skip my yardage though, as every workout is one step towards running a 5K by 9-17-06.

Unfortunately, the cycling is having to take a backseat to my running... but I got to focus on cycling for the past 3 months. I'm still going to be able to ride 2 days a week.

Dr. C
07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I've been looking for a running coach, where did you find yours?
I would like to improve my 10 min mile pace. I can run forever, it's just really slow!!!! I thought do a marathon would help ....you know improve my endurance and all, but I'm only a little bit faster!

KSH
07-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I've been looking for a running coach, where did you find yours?
I would like to improve my 10 min mile pace. I can run forever, it's just really slow!!!! I thought do a marathon would help ....you know improve my endurance and all, but I'm only a little bit faster!

Well, I found mine in the back of local sports/fitness magazine. I would recommend him, but I live in Dallas, TX.

Ask around the sports clubs out there, I bet you can find someone in your area.

For some, being fast running... is all about form. Then again, some people are pretty darn fast with sloppy form.

Good luck!

chickwhorips
07-12-2006, 12:20 PM
For some, being fast running... is all about form. Then again, some people are pretty darn fast with sloppy form.

then there are the others of us that are just slow and steady.

KSH
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
then there are the others of us that are just slow and steady.

Slow and steady wins many times! I use to be slow and steady before my injuries. In the end, it's all about what works for you.

I would have kept going slow and steady if it weren't for the lower leg pain.

chickwhorips
07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I would have kept going slow and steady if it weren't for the lower leg pain.

im having problems again with my leg pain. its frustrating! its a bit sore when im running now, but goes away a few hours after i'm done.

i just want to run! is that to much to ask for?

KSH
07-12-2006, 02:00 PM
im having problems again with my leg pain. its frustrating! its a bit sore when im running now, but goes away a few hours after i'm done.

i just want to run! is that to much to ask for?

Yea, my leg pain would ONLY happen when I was running. 2-3 hours after running, my legs were fine.

I would get this horrible burning in my lower legs, on the backside. Just aweful.

After my last tri, with a 13 minute mile, I know if I didn't do something... I was not going to be able to compete in tri's anymore. So, I found my coach.

I tell you, it was my heal to toe strike that did the damage... that and upping my miles too quick to train for a 1/2 marathon... and bad shoes (not supportive for my strike).

I too just wanted to run... and I didn't know why it was so hard for me.

Hopefully your pain will go away, or you will find a way to fix it. I know how frustrating it is to have pain with running that you can't get rid of/fix.

chickwhorips
07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Hopefully your pain will go away, or you will find a way to fix it. I know how frustrating it is to have pain with running that you can't get rid of/fix.

it went away then its back again. we have a friend that is a physical therapist in town and went to see him. he said that my fibia rotated and thats what was causing my pain. so he got it back to where it was suppose to be and i felt 100% better. no stabbing shooting pain. well now a couple months later i'm still taping it when i run, but its still sore.

he made me temporary orthotics which seem to help and casted me for custom made orthotics. just got them in the mail and aren't ready to use them running yet. hopefully that helps even more.

do you know anyone that's had this problem.... maybe i should start a new thread seeing if anyone has.

Dr. C
07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
without a proper exam and history I can't be sure, but here are a few of the simple ideas....Leg pain with running can often be corrected with a good shoe fit! make sure that if you are pronator, you are wearing a shoe for someone that pronates and have your friends that is a PT watch you run on a treadmill. He or she might be able to see if you have muscular imbalance causing you gait to be altered! A tight muscle here and a weak muscle then can cause flawed gait and pain. But it be sure I would have to know a lot more!

KSH
07-13-2006, 06:12 AM
He or she might be able to see if you have muscular imbalance causing you gait to be altered! A tight muscle here and a weak muscle then can cause flawed gait and pain. But it be sure I would have to know a lot more!

This is what my running coach did for me.

Over the past 3 months he has analyzed what's weak/tight and gave me drills to fix those areas. Thus, I didn't run for 3 months.

chickwhorips
07-13-2006, 10:27 AM
the hard thing for me is that i don't have anyone right here that i can go to and get checked out for a few weeks. (its a 2.5 hour flight that costs $700 to be seen)

i was only in town for a week and he did an excellent job! i'm just really frustrated and wish it would just go away!