PDA

View Full Version : Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow (2006)

Grog
07-06-2006, 07:38 AM
It's a keeper.

I am happy to say that my "Saddle Stories" will have come to a relatively quick conclusion. Here's a summary: I started on a Fizik Pave that came stock on my road bike, surprisingly comfy (my first road bike) but was killing my girly bits when I went in the drops. Also generally squeezing them when I was on the saddle for more than an hour. My sit bone, however, was happy with the Pave, so I tolerated that for a year and a half. Then I gathered the courage to change.

I first got a Terry Liberator Race TI. It was not too bad, I could tell I really liked the cut-out, but after a final 60 km ride I decided that was not going to do it.

Then I went for The Jett by Specialized. Got to sit on the butt-o-meter and all (only to learn that my first saddle was of the right width). Was a bit sorry that the thing was white but it did look neat on my bike (which is predominantly white with a lot of blue). I was really happy sitting on it, but not very impressed by the design of the thing (which holds its not-even-leather-did-I-pay-$150-for-that together with staples). I was even less impressed when I realized I had saddle sores on each side of the saddle, exactly where my upper thigh hit the "BG" (body geometry) logo on the saddle's "wings". I was not going to sit on that thing again so I reluctantly put the Fizik Pave back on. (Still haven't returned the Jett to the store, I really hope they take it back but it shouldn't be an issue.)

Following the recommendation of another TE member (thanks! and sorry for forgetting your name right now) and after browsing both stores and online I decided I'd get a Selle Italia (beautiful designs and quality worksmanship) and, as suggested, went for the SLR Gel Flow (which, in Selle Italia parlance, means "cut-out").

It came in yesterday (along with one for my sweetie who also wanted to change saddle). CDN $ 149 at Campione in Vancouver. (FYI all Canadian readers: They are great with shipping, by the way.)

I have only ridden 40 km on it but I am fairly positive this is the saddle I want.

It is the right size.
Very light.
The cut-out is longer than on the other saddles I have tried and this works perfectly for me.
The sit-bone area has some gel but is not very padded, which I really prefer because I hate sinking into a saddle.
The leather is really soft.
The rails seem to be doing a relatively good job of smoothing pavement imperfections.

Had to do minor adjustments after 12 km and since then I have been a very happy rider.

The strangest thing is that I feel MUCH stronger. I had noticed that with the Jett too: I think I couldn't sit with my hips tilted properly on the Pave saddle because of how it squeezed my most intimate body parts. Hence I had much less strength and was in a generally overextended position. Now I just feel like attacking!! I felt like that when I was riding the Jett too (until it bit my thigh!!!).

So I'm a very, very happy rider. :D

For those who wonder, my dear partner, who started on a much cushier saddle, thought it was a bit hard on his sitbone, but after changing the position of the saddle a little bit he thought it was much nicer. I am not sure he's going to keep it though. But he sure likes its look!

kelownagirl
07-21-2006, 08:36 PM
It's a keeper.
Following the recommendation of another TE member (thanks! and sorry for forgetting your name right now) and after browsing both stores and online I decided I'd get a Selle Italia (beautiful designs and quality worksmanship) and, as suggested, went for the SLR Gel Flow (which, in Selle Italia parlance, means "cut-out").

It came in yesterday (along with one for my sweetie who also wanted to change saddle). CDN $ 149 at Campione in Vancouver. (FYI all Canadian readers: They are great with shipping, by the way.)

I have only ridden 40 km on it but I am fairly positive this is the saddle I want.

It is the right size.
Very light.
The cut-out is longer than on the other saddles I have tried and this works perfectly for me.
The sit-bone area has some gel but is not very padded, which I really prefer because I hate sinking into a saddle.
The leather is really soft.
The rails seem to be doing a relatively good job of smoothing pavement imperfections.

Had to do minor adjustments after 12 km and since then I have been a very happy rider.

The strangest thing is that I feel MUCH stronger. I had noticed that with the Jett too: I think I couldn't sit with my hips tilted properly on the Pave saddle because of how it squeezed my most intimate body parts. Hence I had much less strength and was in a generally overextended position. Now I just feel like attacking!! I felt like that when I was riding the Jett too (until it bit my thigh!!!).

So I'm a very, very happy rider. :D

For those who wonder, my dear partner, who started on a much cushier saddle, thought it was a bit hard on his sitbone, but after changing the position of the saddle a little bit he thought it was much nicer. I am not sure he's going to keep it though. But he sure likes its look!

So are you still happy with it two weeks later? I am on a saddle search, like so many others..

Grog
07-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Almost 30 hours in the saddle later, I am still really happy about it. I've used it for rides up to 4h45m and it's been a non-issue ever since.

Boyfriend rode his for over 8 hours this weekend (a 260 km trip) and was really happy about it too. I think that was the ultimate test.

It is a bit hard but I like that I think.