PDA

View Full Version : mmm....smoothies

Kimmyt
07-06-2006, 07:37 AM
So, having recently moved in with my SO, I've decided to jumpstart my diet. I used to cook, fairly healthy, quite often. But between working and cycling and climbing and driving back and forth to The Boy's place I never had much time, and as a result I ate out WAY too much.

So, now that we're all moved in and theres no (or not as much anyway) running around like crazy, I've stocked the fridge with foods that are healthy and yummy. We've been doing the cooking thing fairly often and I've even been better about packing lunches and eating breakfast (I used to skip that, but I'm trying to incorporate a small healthy meal into my beginning of day routine). My pocketbook and body are both thanking me a ton.

Anyway, was reading a thread on another website regarding Protein Shakes/Smoothies and this morning I felt compelled to try one for breakfast. Well, minus the protein part because I didn't have any protein powder on hand. So I made myself a shake of Fat Free Vanilla yogurt, Skim milk, a banana, handful of blueberries, and an errant Kiwi I found rolling around in my produce drawer.

It was...ok. The banana was a bit overripe and I really don't like bananas unless they're just ripening (the flavor isn't as strong then) but I found the mixture a bit hard to get down and it was a bit too sweet for me. Anyway, I'm going to try some other mixtures, because I like the idea of taking my breakfast with me to go on my commute.

But a question for anyone in the know: if I were to make a protein smoothie, would that be bad? I know lots of people use protein drinks to gain weight, which is not what I'm going for. I'm not trying to lose it, either, just trying to not eat like a pig. However, I don't think a scoop of protein powder in my smoothie would be any different than when I used to eat two eggs in the morning, and having some more protein in my diet might be a good thing.

Also, any other recipes for yummy drinkable or even easy to eat healthy breakfasts that I can chow down on in my car, would be appreciated!

Thanks!

K.

uk elephant
07-06-2006, 07:44 AM
just had to pipe in because I've been on a total smoothie kick lately. And I find that simpler is better. Scoop of natural yogurt, lots of fresh strawberries, splash of milk (to make it more liquid) and I used light maple syrup to sweeten it a little (I like sweet). Soooo delicious.

Trying to think of other drinkable or easy to carry breakfasts....how are you with baking? Something they have lots of here (UK) are pasties. Little portion sized, hand held, pies filled with whatever you want. For breakfast you could fill with bacon and eggs? or fresh fruit? or fresh veggies? Bake the night before. Grab one as you run out the door.

My treat some mornings for breakfast are fresh scones. Fill them with dried fruits and nuts to make them a full meal. Delicious.

DeniseGoldberg
07-06-2006, 08:11 AM
For the parts of the year when fresh berries aren't readily available, I keep bags of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries in my freezer. They are a great addition to a blended smoothie...

--- Denise

bcipam
07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I love blended drinks but feel "smoothies" have too many calories to be a diet drink. Of course one issue is portions, a small glass won't hurt anyone but a meal size portion is probably packed with calories.

I usually make a blender drink by using crush ice and water and then adding my fruit - such as peaches, strawberries, alittle orange juice etc. Bananas are so strong that I seldom add more than a slice or two if even that. My favorite combo is one ripe peach, a splash of orange juice and maybe some strawberries mixed with a handful of crush ice.

If going full smoothie mode, I use low fat/low sugar vanilla ice cream, some ice cubes, a handful of blueberries, some strawberries and a dash of vanilla flavoring. YUM!

Kimmyt
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm not really using this as a weight loss tool, really a breakfast replacement thing and a way of incorporating more fruits into my diet.

Any ideas on my protein question?

DeniseGoldberg
07-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm not really using this as a weight loss tool, really a breakfast replacement thing and a way of incorporating more fruits into my diet.

Any ideas on my protein question?
Although I refer to my drinks as smoothies, I don't use ice cream (or frozen yogurt) as bcipam notes. I also don't add anything like protein powder - I've tried that in the past and found that I didn't like the taste.

I do add plain yogurt to my drinks though, good for both calcium and to get some protein. My drinks typically consist of some water, plain (non-fat) yogurt, usually a half of a banana, fresh fruit of the season (peaches, strawberries, blueberries, whatever is in season at the time) or frozen fruit (no sugar added, just fruit, usually blueberries, sometimes strawberries or raspberries. Sometimes I also add a half a cup of juice, but often I just rely on the fruit. I don't feel any need to add ice since when the fruit is blended it thickens the drink.

--- Denise

Nanci
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
One diced mango
One cup skim milk
Two cups ice
Brown Sugar to taste

Blend

Usually makes two or three glasses.

hirakukibou
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
I do use protein powder. I find that it add needed nutrition to my not so great diet. I use Protein Energizer by Rainbow Light. It is a rice based proten that has spirulina in it and some herbs. It adds 100 calories per scoop which isn't much in the scheme of things. I feel it rounds out my smoothie (although it does add a greenish tinge to it). Good luck.

Jen Jen
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Regarding your protein question, I think protein powder is a great thing. Your meals should always be a balanced blend of carbs, protein, and fats because of all the important things each component provides to your diet.

I don't like smoothies for breakfast. If I drink a big thing of milk on an empty stomach, my stomach protests ALL DAY, ugh.

Here's my favorite recipe (for lunch, ha):

12 oz. vanilla soymilk (I drink the Kirkland, i.e. Costco brand)
1 cup frozen blueberries (make sure they're not sweetened)
2 tbsp. MLO protein powder (I dislike the flavored protein powders, this one doesn't ruin the taste of my drink, IMO)

Yum!

This weighs in at 361 calories, 31g protein, 7g fat, 42g carbs... A perfect size for a meal, even when you're "dieting" IMO

KnottedYet
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I am into instant gratification.

I used to do smoothies on my 55 mile commute to school, and coffee on the 55 mile commute home. Car food. Now I do 'em because most of the time it's just an easier way to eat breakfast.

My smoothies (give or take)

1/2 block tofu
1 bananananana
1 big blob of plain yogurt
1 handful of frozen fruit or jam (scoop the jam, not handful)
Juice, soymilk, ricemilk, or cow milk as needed to make runny

Sometimes this makes enough for b'fast and lunch/snack. It also makes great frozen popsicle-things for the small creatures in your home.

Kimmyt
07-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Thanks girls! I was looking on the other website I mentioned too and found this one that totally makes my mouth water.

I'm thinking...mmmm caffeine in MEAL form.....

2 cups black coffee
1/2 cup chocolate milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder