PDA

View Full Version : How should a tri top fit?

EBD
07-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I've been browsing the many threads for large-boobed women, but haven't found an answer to my exact question: is a non-skintight top going to slow me down in the water?

I have done 4 sprints in a bathing suit (with sports bra underneath) plus biking gear added at T1, and I'm tired of all the layers and the slow transitions. I bought my first tri shorts and top today - and the top part was a little challenging because I'm a 34DD. I bought a Sugoi Fizz tank in large, which is perfect in the chest (with a Sugoi bra underneath) but pretty loose in the waist - closer to a cycling jersey than bathing suit. The medium was snug-fitting in the waist but too small in the chest. So - is the bit of extra fabric around the waist going to slow me down in the water? If so, are there other tops that have good support in the chest, like the Sugoi, but are stretchier?

Did that even make sense? Surely I'm not the only woman spending way too much time pondering the infinite configurations of tri clothing? :rolleyes:

Thank you!

KSH
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, yes... that much extra material (if it fits as loose as a jersey) will slow you down.

And I know for me... it would be downright annoying. Being a competitive swimmer in H.S., and focusing so much on getting rid of drag... it's even a challenge for me to deal with the shorts and top I have now.

Keep in mind... when it gets wet... it will get BIGGER too.

Now, the issue that you face is that you have a bust... and all those darn tri tops are made for these really skinny women (you could be thin, not saying your not!) with no boobs... not really skinny women with boobs.

I would wonder if you could have it taken in at the waist by a tailor. Might be a bit of a stretch though.

Maybe you can go to a cycling shop and see how other sizes/brands fit? I know it was a struggle for me to find one that fit good in the waist and the bust (thin on top with 34C's).

The top I have now is a little loose, but I just ignore it as best I can.

Nanci
07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I think it would be fairly, or even really easy to take in by a professional.

At least you don't have tops that gape open, or armholes that are cut way lower than your tiny boobs! Well, they are headed down that way...I feel like tops are cut for people with larger than average boobs!

Nanci