PDA

View Full Version : Nutirution on a 220miles trip done in one day

iFKA
07-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone, I have a question for my boyfriend. He's planing to do 220 miles in just one day and he'll go on a trip in 10 days so I was wondering how can I help him with my cooking. Does any of you have some recipe for me to prepare his body few days before the trip. I'm also meeting him half way so what should I bring him to eat.
I know pasta is very good, but is something else also rich with energy and can be fast digested?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

kerrybelle
07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi iFKA,
I don't have any experience with the long endurance rides, however this website has some recipes for homeade energy bars. Maybe you can try some of them.

http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/nutrition/energy-bars/printer-bar-list.shtml

I'm sure some of the others will have some great advice! Good luck.

Kerry

Nanci
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
What's the temperature going to be like? I can eat more food, and more solid food, when it is colder.

Chocolate milk is a great energy food with just the right proportion of carbs:protein.

Sushi goes down well for me, but only when it's cool out.

Pasta is great, but in a lighter sauce- maybe just butter- tomato sauce might upset his stomach. Make sure there is some meat in it.

Do you have Sports drinks like Gatorade there? Can you buy gels and energy bars?

I _always_ have a craving for salty things like potato chips from the middle point on in long rides like that.

He should make sure to have a substantial breakfast- that will last him a long time.

RoadRaven
07-06-2006, 01:40 AM
Carbo loading like pasta and rice is a very good plan before the ride

My sons, one of whom is competing in the nationals this year, suggest things like sandwiches for you to give him at his "feed-stations"
They also cite the Tour riders as having thjings like custard in buns as they ride.
If he is stopping to eat, sushi or chips might be ok, but if he is not stopping for anything other than toileting, then you want easily eaten/chewed, non-crumbly foods for him that deliver carbs and protein.
How many energy-type bars is he willing to attack in one day

Chocolate milk, or even better - chocolate-flavoured recovery drink made in milk is def necessary when he finishes

A can of creamed rice also goes down well after a hard/long ride - easy to eat and digest

Good luck

Can you post what you settle on and actually use that works for him?

iFKA
07-06-2006, 03:16 AM
The temperature should be over 85°F or 30°C, but he can endure high temperatures (unlike myself)
We have Gatorade and power bars and he'll take it on the trip but I was wondering what should I give him few days before. Also rice and pasta or can I make him something with meat (what we usually eat)?
Chocolate milk is good (and delicious;) ) suggestion. I haven't drink it jet during my rides and I bet he'll like it also.
Instead of sandwiches on his "feed-station" I intend to cook something and than bring him in a thermo lunch box. Are there some spices that I should avoid. I'm planing to bring him (among others) tomato soup which I made with pepper, salt and oregano. Is that good idea? Or is it better not to cook soup at all?
Thanks for helping :)

iFKA
07-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Hi iFKA,
I don't have any experience with the long endurance rides, however this website has some recipes for homeade energy bars. Maybe you can try some of them.

http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/nutrition/energy-bars/printer-bar-list.shtml

I'm sure some of the others will have some great advice! Good luck.

Kerry

Thank for the help but we in Croatia don't have such choice of supplies and it's easier for me to buy energy bar in the store. But I'm sure this link will help others in US. :)

Nanci
07-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Chicken soup or chicken with rice soup or a very hearty vegetable and pasta or rice soup, nice and salty, goes down _really_ well later when people are sick of everything else but need "real" food and salt.

If it's going to be that hot, will he be carrying electrolyte capsules? That's pretty important.

For the days leading up to the ride- I'd just stick with normal meals- pasta, chicken or fish, rice. Less fiber the day before is sometimes advised so he will be less likely to have bathroom issues.

iFKA
07-06-2006, 04:46 AM
He won't be carrying electrolyte capsules, I don't even know do we have it in Croatia (perhaps, I've never asked)
After he comes to his destination, two days later we'll be traveling together 600 miles (but in two weeks) so I know now also how to prepare my body.
Thanks for all the tips I've learned a lot.
Gotta love this forum :D :D :D

RoadRaven
07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi again iFKA

If you want to cook and take... I agree with Nanci... how about some soup... thick and creamy, or soft chunks... lots of root vegies and cook with some bones for the protein and keratin. He could have it with fresh bread for extra carbs.

Whether you make rice, pasta or soup I would add in meat into any... just chopped up small and well cooked so its easy to digest as he continues his ride.

I would suggest some red meat in the build up too - it delivers much more muscle food per gram/ounce than chicken or fish. As a man, his demands for iron rich foods and for proteinare higher than a woman.

I'm well-impressed with the way you have have embraced your role as "team support car"

maillotpois
07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
On my 600k brevet, I loved soup. Unlike Road Raven, I wouldn't go for creamy, though, but that's sort of a personal thing, I guess. (Tends to make my nose stuffy and I also feel it might be too rich.) I do agree a hearty, salty soup is great and usually goes down well. Lentil or minestrone come to mind.

Simple food like sandwiches also goes well on a long ride. I will usually have this on a double century. Just simple bread, meat, cheese with some mustard.

Hydration and electrolyte replacement is almost more important than food if it is hot out. Be sure to have sports drinks or something to replace electrolytes. I don't suppose Endurolytes are readily available in Croatia, but there should be something similar. Even a chewable antacid can sometimes have the right ingredients.

Have fun!

iFKA
07-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi again iFKA

I'm well-impressed with the way you have have embraced your role as "team support car"

Well, I'm totally against his trip cause it's very hot here and I don't think that it's healthy for his body for him to exhaust it so much but he's so excited so I have to do all that is in my power to make him easy. After all he's my darling and I love him very much. And if he can understand my (sometimes) unreasonable demands, I also have to be tolerant with his. ;)