PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist Visibility Survey for QUEENSLANDERS

light_sabe_r
07-04-2006, 02:17 PM
I got this in my QUT Alumni newsletter this morning.

Calling all road users for online survey

Queensland University of Technology optometry and road safety researchers are seeking 1600 road users to answer an online survey about pedestrian and cyclist visibility.

Professor Joanne Wood of QUT's School of Optometry in the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation said cyclists and pedestrians bore the brunt of one third of road deaths and injuries.

"All too often, motorists involved in an accident say "I didn't see them" and so the survey aims to find out from cyclists and pedestrians what visibility aids they use and how much visibility they think it provides them," Professor Wood said.

"We need motorists to answer the survey as well because we want to know how they judge the visibility of road users on foot or on a bicycle."

Professor Wood said visibility at night, in particular, was of interest and the questions in the survey sought to find out pedestrians' and cyclists' perception of their risk of using the road during the day and at night.

The survey results will form the basis of further research to design and develop visibility aids for cyclists, pedestrians and road workers.

The survey is a joint project between the QUT School of Optometry and QUT's Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety - Queensland (CARRS-Q).

The survey is confidential and anonymous and takes about five minutes to complete. It is online at http://visibilityandsafety.carrsq.net.au.

Media contact: Niki Widdowson, QUT media officer, 07 3864 1841 or n.widdowson@qut.edu.au.

I've completed it already and am just spreading the word. ^_^

crazycanuck
07-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the link! I found it quite useful. I must say the questions were well thought out.

LEt us know the outcome!

c