PDA

View Full Version : The finger!

Brandi
07-04-2006, 07:13 AM
we have this road where I live called Turri road. It is about 11 miles of farm land, good hills to climb. Normall y there are not a lot of cars on it during the day which is why I like it so much. But at around 5:00 pm some people on their way home from work like to take this road cause it has curving roads and their is hardly ever a cop on it. So people drive to fast. last year in our local newspaper someone wrote how the cyclist on this road really piss them off. He claims we take up to much road and don't get out of the way. Well I know when I am on this road sometimes the wind blows so hard that that is all you can hear. So all of sudden there is a car behind you! This has happend to me a couple times. I try and be nice and always do my best to get out of the way but I don't always hear them coming. So I have gotten the finger several times. It really upsets me cause I am not doing it on purpose you know. At both ends of this road there are share the road signs too. What are we to do? not much I guess.

Nanci
07-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Brandi,

I would just consistantly ride on the part of the road that you feel is safe, however close to the shoulder that may be. If the shoulder is such that you will fall if you go over it- then leave a couple feet between you and the shoulder. You have the right to take up as much of the lane as you need to operate your bike safely. If the driver threatens or harasses you, get the plate and call the police.

It's really helped me to feel safer to have a mirror, though. That way there aren't as many surprises.

Nanci

Geonz
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
It is NOT your job to make everybody happy. Some people simply do not like even the least bit of inconvenience to their choice of lifestyles. It's hard... it's natural to want to harmonize with everybody. However, some people simply don't understand (or don't care) that they aren't the only creatures that matter.
When I'm feeling vulnerable like that I think about other people who've been disliked simply because they try to co-exist and live their lives (or people who live in lousy neighborhoods), and people (or other living things) who are victims of others' "needs."
I also figure that every time I go back out there, anyway, I'm asserting that no, the folks who are pissed off at cyclists are not going to bully me off the road, at least not right now, and I"m asserting to the non-jerks that yea, that's right, there are cyclists who use the roads and enjoy it - and if they'd design the facilities better, I wouldn't be so mujch in their way.
Oh, and except for people who already don't think you belong there, PERIOD, don't get *too* far over if there really isn't room to pass. It's not as safe and they can't see you as well. Mirrors are excellent... I will ride out in the lane and then if a car's coming and could go around me safely, I"ll move over some - then they think there's even more room. It's tougher if I really know that there isn't enough room (like going over overpasses).

Deanna
07-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Whenever I get the finger, I smile and wave, letting them think I mistook their gesture. If you flip them off, they have reason to get even madder. If they react even worse to a smile, they'll have a hard time justifying their behavior to a police officer if it escalates. Can you just imagine them trying explaining that one!

Selkie
07-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Think of the finger as the New Jersey State bird and just consider the source. You belong on the road and it sounds like you are a courteous rider. I like Deanna's way of handling it :-)