PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Tandem Rallyl

mimitabby
07-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Hi, we did the Northwest Tandem Rally in the Corvallis ORegon area
I have never been around a nicer group of people. But i'm not just talkilng about the other bicyclists!!
We rode 70 miles on Saturday and 60 miles on sunday (I quit early because my knee started hurting too much)
We rode up and down city and country roads, one of which was a 1000 foot climb over a little mountain, and everywhere we went, cars and trucks gave us LOTS of room, smiled at us and waited for us. At first we thought it was just luck, but as the weekend progressed, it continued.
The Corvallis bike folks (the Midvalley Bicycle Club) were also amazing. The food was catered by people that love to cook, the rest stops were fantastic, the signage was EVERYWHERE, arrows were on the pavement, and people were out either telling us to slow down on dangerous descents or when to cross busy streets.
We ate well and had a great time. ALthough Corvallis tends to get a little hotter than this Seattle shadeflower is used to dealing with, we got most of our riding done before noon so for most of it, it was not a problem.
I would recommend people go from near and far to ride Corvallis rides, either
on a tandem or a single!

mimitabby
07-04-2006, 06:11 AM
I forgot to say that the scenery was gorgeous and truly i have never ridden anywhere where we were better treated by motorists.

tattiefritter
07-04-2006, 07:12 AM
130 miles on a tandem - respect! Are you captain or stoker?

We did an MTB event on the weekend just past (a Polaris challenge) on our full-suss mtb "banana bike" and my backside has only started to recover - I find I spend almost all of the time seated on the tandem. I don't know about distance but we rode for a total of 11 hours over the weekend in what for the UK was very warm temperatures, its the furthest and longest we have ever ridden it - and we didn't murder each other!

mimitabby
07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Except for some of the climbs and the hot last 20 miles of each ride, it was not a difficult time!!

Don't have too many seat issues thanks to my brooks b67 saddle and my wonderful TErry shorts!!