PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia Mishaps and a trip update

Veronica
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
We're back at the B&B - love this place - wish we could stay longer. The last two days have been interesting.

Mishap # 1: We arrived at Keiji and I was changing in the tent and discovered I had no more clean underwear. Now I am a weirdo about underwear - I always pack at least two extra pair - which means I should have 6. I am missing 3 pairs. Did they get left behind when I did laundry, did I forget to pack them, did the teenager at the campground swipe them? Hmmm...

Mishap # 2: I have had a headache since last Thursday, it's been centered right behind my right eye. This morning I woke up and my right eye was all swollen up. Possible causes - I got some bark in my eye last week, could some of it somehow have gotten behind my eyeball and caused the headache? Am I allergic to something - maybe DEET? Do I have an infection? It's not pink eye, because it doesn't itch. The swelling does seem to be going down. And 4 Advil at a time are keeping the headache at bay.

Mishap # 3: I discovered sidewall damage to my front tire. This freaked me out, because I'm getting some speed on the downhills and the bike handles much differently with the trailer. There is a mountain bike rental place in the park, so I decided to go there and see if I can at least use their stand so I can switch the tire to the back. BUT... they actually had a road tire. It's a 32 mm, which my bike can take, but not with fenders. It's now on the back wheel and I have a 27 on the front.

I think the tire may have been damaged in transist, rubbing against something inside the case.

I'll be keeping my eye open for some place to buy some underwear.

If the eye doesn't seem to be improving, I'll be heading to the doctor tomorrow.

Keiji was beautiful. We canoed one of the rivers because it was so windy - 2 - 3 foot waves on the lake. Our campsite was nice - right on the lake. We saw some ducks, some deer and what I think was a beaver, or maybe a marmot.

Tomorrow we continue on up to Valley View Provincial Park.

V.

bikerz
07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey C and V - sorry about the mishaps! I hope the eyeache/headache goes away, or can be diagnosed and effective treated. Have you tried a cold compress - damp washcloth - on the eye? And good catch on the tire.

Otherwise, are you guys having fun? And is the weather drier now?

Lise
07-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Great to hear from you guys, and sorry about the mishaps. I'm with you, V. I always, always pack extra undies and socks. I recently went to a wedding out of town and only packed three pair of socks for four days. ARGH! The next time I travelled, I found that I'd packed 11 pair of socks for 5 days. I'll bet next trip you bring double the number of undies.

Hmmm. The eye. Can't guess what it could be, but do take it seriously and get some medical attention if it's not getting better.

Looking forward to more stories and pix!

Lise

maillotpois
07-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the update!

Hey speaking as someone who's too stupid stubborn to go to the doctor until it is too late - GO TO THE DOCTOR!! You could have a detached retina or something. I know - that is probably a stretch. But don't mess around with that. It could be a scratch on your cornea or something - in fact the headache may not even be related to the eye swelling thing. Either way, get checked out. You need both your eyes to descend Tam.

maggiedatongue
07-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Have to say HI since you are so close to where I live! New Brunswick is beside Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, my home, is just above it! Enjoy your stay and get that eye looked at.

Veronica
07-06-2006, 04:37 AM
Went to the doc. Got treated for migraine - but it didn't help. The other possibility is irritation to the occipital nerve. I feel best when I'm riding - not sleeping very well unfortunately.

I'll survive - long day today 72 miles. That will make it about 360 so far. BBQ with Dorothy was great!

V.

DeniseGoldberg
07-06-2006, 04:44 AM
...and Prince Edward Island, my home, is just above it!
OK, OK, I know this is off topic! But - where are you in PEI? My bike and I toured there (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/denise2005pei) last September, and I absolutely loved it! Beautiful...

Went to the doc. Got treated for migraine - but it didn't help. The other possibility is irritation to the occipital nerve. I feel best when I'm riding - not sleeping very well unfortunately.V.
Veronica -
For what little it's worth, I'm sending lots of healing thoughts your way. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you feel best when you're riding.

--- Denise

maggiedatongue
07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
OK, OK, I know this is off topic! But - where are you in PEI? My bike and I toured there (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/denise2005pei) last September, and I absolutely loved it! Beautiful...

I am in Charlottetown. I had a quick look through your journal and found it interesting to see my home through somebody else's eyes. I still find it beautiful here, but probably don't appreciate it as much as I should since I see it everyday. My work place is beside the Dundee Arms Inn that you stayed at.... and it's windy out today ;)

Nanci
07-06-2006, 11:24 AM
That's too bad your headache is hanging in there, V. Allergies??? From being in a strange place? Are you suddenly caffeine-deprived?

I had headaches my ENTIRE life until I moved to Florida and started taking Zyrtec year 'round. Gone. Completely. Maybe one every six-12 months.

Nanci

bikerz
07-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh - I'm glad you guys got to meet Dorothy - and a great BBQ to boot! Hope the migraine recedes, V, and that Cindy can evade the mosquitos! Can't wait for the photos!

But... have you had any dulse yet????

Veronica
07-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Oh - I'm glad you guys got to meet Dorothy - and a great BBQ to boot! Hope the migraine recedes, V, and that Cindy can evade the mosquitos! Can't wait for the photos!

Ahhh... no...:p

V.

cindysue
07-09-2006, 08:53 AM

I'm determined to at least try it, but I think I'll wait until we get to Yarmouth......