PDA

View Full Version : My tri was cancelled!

Lise
07-02-2006, 05:29 PM
I am so bummed out. SO BUMMED OUT!!! :mad: :( :mad:

The first tri I ever did was Lake Zurich (LZT). Crossed the finish line last, but finished. The next two years did it with friends who wanted to do a tri, but, for the most part, did not train. Frustrating. We had agreed that we would leave no one behind, finish together. But they didn't agree to train before hand! This year I was going to get to do it myself, go as hard and fast as I could. I was so looking forward to it. I know the course, I know the lake, I know the transition area...I built my summer around it. At work, I have to request days off months in advance. I think I asked for this weekend off a year ago!

I've been going to the website a couple of times a week to see if online registration was up yet. Today it says: 2006 Race Cancelled Due To Road Construction.

My heart sank. Sigh. :(

Instead I'm going to do the Pleasant Prairie Tri in Wisconsin. A friend did it a couple of years ago, and loved it. It's the weekend after LZT. I need to call a couple of midwives and see if they'll switch with me.

I'm just...heavy hearted. This year I was going to get to see what *I* can do on that course, without waiting for someone who hadn't bothered to train. Well, I guess I get to see what I can do on a new course. Any one else want to do PPT with me? http://pleasantprairietriathlon.com/venueinfo/racesite.html

Knew you guys would understand. L.

DrBee
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
That's lousy Lise! Sorry to hear it. :( Good luck with the other one. I'd do it with you, but uh, it's a bit far to travel ;)

Lise
07-02-2006, 05:49 PM
That's lousy Lise! Sorry to hear it. :( Good luck with the other one. I'd do it with you, but uh, it's a bit far to travel ;)
Naw, c'mon, fish, if you start now, you could easily be up there by August 20! Let's see, run while pushing your bike, then ride your bike, then swim at the Holiday Inns you stay at on the road, carry all your stuff in your transition bag...yeah, I think it would be perfect training! :p

Plus, it would take your mind off the whole "will I get the new job" thing. (Pulling for you there). L.

tprevost
07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
ohhhhh, Lise, I am so sorry :( about your race. What a major bummer. I hope the one you've chosen to replace it turns out to be a great race too!

Tracy

Lise
07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I sat and sighed for a bit, groused for a bit, then I wrote the emails to my colleagues asking them to switch weekends with me.

Next, I put in your DVD, and did push ups and sit ups while watching you and countless others conquer the Ironman. Started crying when you jumped in the water, and kept on, crying and doing pushups, determined to train better for PPT than I was for LZT.

Truth is, ladies, I'm not scared of LZT anymore. I am scared of PPT. Of the swim. Funny thing, I bought a full-body wet suit this year. I would not have needed it for LZT (warm lake). I will need it for PPT (cold lake). Great! Now I truly have a reason to go down to Lake Michigan with my wet suit and swim in the cold water.

I made a training plan that will prepare me for an Oly tri in August and a 1/2 marathon in October. Next year, the 1/2 IM.

Denise, THANK YOU again for all the inspiration you've given me. I've watched your DVD over and over. Today, for the first time, I "heard" what you were saying as you crossed the line. "YES! I did it!" What I know is that I can do Pleasant Prairie, and I will not be the last one across the finish line. L.

KSH
07-02-2006, 07:06 PM
OH! I am so sorry to hear that!

This would have been YOUR YEAR too!

Well, I guess the other one will have to do... eh?

salsabike
07-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Aw, Lise. How FRUSTRATING. I'm sorry. Bet you'll do well at PPT. We will look forward to hearing.

Tri Girl
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Big 'ol bummer Lise! Sorry they cancelled it! :( I can feel your disappointment.
No fear, tho. You'll kick serious tail at PPT, and you may even surprise yourself at how well you'll do on the swim. You'll do great! (and you'll HAVE to tell us all about it when you return).

You've got 2 months to train, and you'll be the best out there!!!! :D

DirtDiva
07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Aw, that sucks. :( Hope the replacement tri is fab. :)

Brina
07-03-2006, 04:51 PM
sorry for the cancelation, but isn't the PPT the one they keep advertising as having the best goody bag in the whole wide world?

If it weren't the weekend before accenture I would do it with you.

Lise
07-03-2006, 05:23 PM
You're right, Brina, they have "the best goodie bag in the midwest! A $100 value!", as advertised in Chicago Athlete. A short sleeve tech shirt, a tri-transition back pack, a tech hat, a medal, and, as the ad says, "area coupons galore!" I suppose you could sign up for the event for $89 and just walk away with the stuff (minus the medal, of course...) :p It does beat the heck out of a plastic bag with a cotton t-shirt and a mini Cliff bar! One year I did a sprint tri that included a water bottle in the goodie bag. Except the water bottle was so big that it would never fit in anyone's cage! Now I use that bottle to wash dirt/sand off my feet in T1, so I guess it was pretty tri-specific...;)

Pleasant Prairie's supposed to be a nice, flat course. I mailed my registration in today, thereby saving $6.75 over registering on line. I would think they'd make it cheaper to register online, to save the effort of opening the envelopes and cashing the checks, etc.

Have you ever done Accenture before? Are you doing Oly or sprint? I agree, two in 7 days is too strenuous. I'll be down there cheering (I think--I need to look at my schedule). If I can be there, tell me your number, and I'll be cheering for you! :D :D :D

I'm feeling more positive about the change today, can ya tell? Just got back from a 2.75 mi run followed by a 20 mile ride, sort of a reverse brick. Man, do I love my bike!!!

colby
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm feeling more positive about the change today, can ya tell? Just got back from a 2.75 mi run followed by a 20 mile ride, sort of a reverse brick. Man, do I love my bike!!!

Sometimes things happen for the best -- you really seem re-energized about your training after the change ;)

I did a backwards brick today too, glad I'm not the only one. Many days, I bike to work with my husband after my daily (5 mile) jog/run. I'm afraid it'd be too darn hot after I finished biking to run, unless I went to work (or started biking) at 6:30... good luck getting my husband out of bed that early ;)

The goodie bag sounds awesome! Something to look forward to, other than the finish line itself ;)

Lise
07-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Sometimes things happen for the best -- you really seem re-energized about your training after the change ;)
Yeah, I know, isn't that cool? :D

btchance
07-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Oohh, awesome goodie bag! I'm sorry your tri was canceled Lise, but this one sounds like it will be great. Good luck!!!