PDA

View Full Version : I biked 62 miles... I don't think it'll be a problem

Hammer
07-02-2006, 11:10 AM
So yesterday I biked 62 miles!

Yay! I got up at 5a.m. I was already hungry, so I ate a bowl of oatmeal. I was supposed to meet the other 3 at HyVee at 5:45. The guys were there eating their first breakfast.

We stopped 20 miles down the road and had a second breakfast. I had two thick slices of homemade wheat toast slathered with butter, two fried eggs and a sausage patty.

That held me for the rest of the ride. I continued drinking water and from my concoction of Mt. Dew, Sunkist, kool-aid (with a little salt added). And I did have energy bars, but I really didn't feel like I was needing them.

It took us about 4 1/2 hours to do the 63 miles or so... When I got home I had a bagel with PB on it and a glass of milk with chocolate protein powder. I took a nap for an hour or so.

My mom and grandma showed up mid-afternoon. I was starving by then again. So I made myself a packet of easy mac with a small can of tuna added. Mom's like, "You're eating that when we're going to be barbequing in just a little while?" I'm like, "Mom, I biked 62 miles today. I honestly don't think it'll be a problem."

Then later I eat a piece of New York strip, a mix of grilled veggies, biscuit, other munchies, a beer and a s'more.

:D And I still wake up hungry this morning. But, my appetite isn't as rampant today.

The calculater at bicycling.com said that I expended somewhere betwen like 2,592 and 3,240 calories. I was going 14 mph on average. There were several hills... but nothing TOO drastic. So I wasn't sure if it was 12-14, moderate effort or 14-16 heavy effort.

Fredwina
07-02-2006, 01:33 PM
You know, they are those who eat to ride and those who ride to eat.....

Geonz
07-02-2006, 02:14 PM
However. When I ride a lot and eat all I want ... I gain weight. For me the increase in appetite is bigger than the increase in calories. Your mileage may vary, of course! (results not typical?) Grabbing a big glass of water can satisfy the insatiable urge to Put Somthing In The Mouth, though it's not the same :)

Dogmama
07-03-2006, 03:50 AM
However. When I ride a lot and eat all I want ... I gain weight. For me the increase in appetite is bigger than the increase in calories.

Yup, me too. I used to have a hummingbird metabolism, but no more.

Barb
07-03-2006, 04:28 AM
I actually gained wieght during my tour. I rode way more than usual and I guess I ate more too. The incresed appetite is a big problem for me. I have to really watch it when I finish riding or I will be a balloon in no time.

Hammer
07-03-2006, 05:39 AM
I try to monitor what I eat overall... I understand that it's important to try to make sure what I eat is justified by the activity. I didn't think that I had eaten TOO much yet and I was REALLY hungry when I ate the mac and cheese... it wasn't a little hunger grumble... it was a roar. And supper was a splurge, I probably would've eaten that much anyway. I don't eat like that all of the time.

DebW
07-03-2006, 05:56 AM
The only exercise that makes me hungry immediately is swimming. My metabolism and need for food seem to change slowly from endurance sports. When I backpack, it takes 3-4 days for food craving to set in. The cycling I do over the summer keeps me about 5 lb lighter than I am over the winter, but not sure how much my caloric intake changes.

Bustertb
07-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Great for you Hammer, 62 miles!!!