PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat Backwards Question

Kitsune06
06-30-2006, 05:33 PM
There's so much weight-loss info on this board, I thought I'd throw my question out there in hope there'd be info on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'm one of those 'lucky' folks who has a very high metabolism. When I was fairly active, I had an average weight of 108#, which is pretty slim for my 5'4" frame, and was described by my ex as being 'emaciated' and my current as 'sorta sickly model-ish'

Through the virtues of no longer having crippling stomach ulcers (eating more) and somewhat sedentary jobs (call centers and security dispatcher) I managed to get up to 130, and after biking a bit dropped back down to 125 but a solidly-muscled 125. :rolleyes: I know the more muscle mass one has, the more one tends to burn fat, and the higher one's metabolism tends to be... and don't get me wrong, I like the toned, lean look... but...

My question is this-
How can I adjust my diet to get the calories/carbs/fats/proteins to maintain a 'healthy' appearance and still have fun putting miles and miles on my legs and bike? I guess last year when I was biking everywhere, I looked 'sickly' thin, with ribs showing etc, despite eating everything in sight. :(

Help!

If it helps, I've never been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, or any other hormonal issues, and I've always been a little stringbean, 'til I decided to take up softball and weightlifting... and biking... then a muscled stringbean.
:rolleyes:

snapdragen
06-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Turn 35? Sorry, couldn't resist - I was very skinny in my 20's also, ate whatever I wanted. Then I turned 35 :eek:

I think if you keep doing what you're doing, eat healthy, but as much as you want (lucky girl!). Could be you will be a muscled string bean for the rest of your life. Or everything could change when you get older, and you will need to pay close attention to how much you eat. You have the knowledge now to make the smart food choices - you are way ahead of the game.

The way I'd put on weight in my 20's was ice cream (or frozen yogurt), orange juice and a banana. Throw it in a blender for a bit, and drink up. Both my brother and I used to drink these, in addition to regular meals. He had to gain weight to be accepted into the Navy.

Kitsune06
06-30-2006, 07:38 PM
(un?)fortunately I don't think even turning 35 will change much. My dad's entire side of the family is thin, thin, thin, all the way into older age. The banana/icecream/etc idea sounds good though... =)

:D

hirakukibou
07-01-2006, 10:34 AM
At this point, I actually have issues around getting enough to eat as well, although part of my problem is that I am on medication that kills my appetite. I find that I am able to eat fruit smoothies with protein powder and herbs in them. I use OJ and banana and other fresh and frozen fruit. It's along the same idea as milk shakes. I find that when I eat more protein I do gain or maintain my weight. It is a drag to be "too thin" too. I have been both too fat and too thin, but in my experience being heavy was a harder societial burden in that I felt routinely ignored, but being thin has it's down side too. My sister told me I look anorexic and I get objectified by men in ways I didn't when I was heavier. Body image is a complicated issue in the society. I do think that keeping fit, eating right, and trying to be accepting of who we are and how we look at whatever weight should be the ultimate goal. Sorry to go on so long.

winddance
07-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I used to dance, and as a result, looked quite skeletal. It wasn't that I was trying to look that way, just that I eat like a bird and was expending a lot of energy. I know where you're coming from...you can't just gain weight, you have to gain "good weight", which is a lot more difficult when you're active.

After speaking to a nutritionist about this issue, she suggested that I ingest more protein from bean-type foods, as opposed to increasing my intake of meat-type protein.The emphasis for me isn't building "bulk", but more of fitting into my slight frame. As a result of changing my diet around a bit and making sure to add that sort of protein in, I look less emaciated and more like a woman. Yay!

Kitsune06
07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
I knew if I posted I'd find ladies with similar experience!

Right now I'm focusing on veggie proteins (soy and spirulina protein shake powder with vitamins etc with fruit juice, etc)

I might not have the same problem as much anymore- I know I had a hard time when I wasn't able to eat very much... now it's a matter of getting a lot, getting affordable, and having it be healthy, etc... while wedging it (meals, etc) sideways into my 48-hr workweeks.

winddance
07-01-2006, 05:38 PM
I totally feel your pain. I tend towards making a big pot of something and just eating it for one meal per day all week, but then I'm one of those lucky people who can do that 5 days in a row and not get sick of something. I've never been a big shake/smoothie fan (being allergic to bananas will do that to you!) so I have had to find other ways to get what I need.

My mother sends me recipes from the "Cooking Light" magazine, and while you really have to weed through them, some of them have been quite excellent. It might be worth picking up a copy, because the dishes are usually fairly easy to make and devise your own variations for. I, for one, get very sick of my own cooking...:p

snapdragen
07-01-2006, 06:29 PM
winddance, Cooking Light also has a website with a searchable recipe database.

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/

winddance
07-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing that info.