PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle as diagnostic tool

KnottedYet
06-30-2006, 01:04 PM
My new Brooks was making this gawdawful creak yesterday every time my left foot was on the way down and my right foot was on the way up. I shifted around trying to make it stop and just couldn't.

When I got home I bounced around on the seat, and couldn't make it creak. I ran over bumps, no creak. I TWISTED the back end (left down, right up) with my hands and got the creak. Played around, and it turns out I was shifting my bod to the left and pooching out my abs and just generally being a sack of potatoes when my left foot was on the downstroke.

Who knew?

Today I concentrated on holding in my abs ALL the time (instead of just half the time) and keeping my posture steady. Much better. I still get the creak when I'm struggling up the steeper hills, but I'm such a wuss that I have to throw my weight around just to make it, even in my monster granny gear. Hopefully I will get my posture and pedalling more efficient on the hills someday. Meanwhile, you can hear me coming from a mile away!:D

mimitabby
07-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Well, that's interesting! There's no way you can grease it to make that noise go away?
Did you pay extra for the diagnostics?
:)

KnottedYet
07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
that sucker is going crazy with the creaking. Now I barely have to touch it with my hand, and it creaks enough to FEEL it. I think my lopsided riding style must've busted something loose over the last couple days, cuz it's a creak-monster now.

Calling Bill in the morning. At the worst I can switch to a B72 which would have a firmer frame.

KnottedYet
07-04-2006, 06:51 PM
P.S. Now that I know the bliss that comes from a Brooks saddle, there is no way I'm giving up! Even if I am doomed to creak!

Edit (next day): Diane at Wallingford walked me through adjusting the frame so it won't creak. (it isn't the springs) i did what she said, and we'll see how it goes today on the commute.

Man, I love Wallingford! www.wallbike.com

mimitabby
07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
P.S. Now that I know the bliss that comes from a Brooks saddle, there is no way I'm giving up! Even if I am doomed to creak!

Edit (next day): Diane at Wallingford walked me through adjusting the frame so it won't creak. (it isn't the springs) i did what she said, and we'll see how it goes today on the commute.

Man, I love Wallingford! www.wallbike.com

Hey friends just told me that Wallingford Bikes USED TO BE in the Wallingford Seattle neighborhood before they moved to Lousiana. Did you know that?!?!?
:D

KnottedYet
07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Yup. They were about 10 blocks from my old house.