PDA

View Full Version : Reconsidering taking bike on trip - help!!

cusepack
06-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Woe is me . . . just the other day, I posted in a thread about taking my bike to NY with me while I visit my family (they live near the Adirondacks, so there will be great riding to be had). Anyway . . . I was reading some posts over on RBR about taking a bike, and darn, the cost is just outrageous. I'm flying Delta, and they charge $100 each way - my ticket was only $284, from Miami to Syracuse. Then, I'm renting the case from my LBS ($40.00) and it's not that I don't have the money to spend, I'm just thinking, "okay, it's $240.00 which is a new cycling computer; I'm going to be gone July 7-12, and what if it rains while I'm there and can't get out and ride; what if because it's a short trip and my bike, for whatever reason doesn't change planes with me; and yada, yada, yada." All of a sudden I have tremendous anxiety. Some of the RBR threads I read said to flash a curbside porter a $20.00 and they'll take your bike and you'll not be charged the $100. I'm traveling alone and I think too this has something to do with my anxiety. This would be my first trip with my bike and having to worry about re-assembling it just adds to the anxiety. I can change flats, make adjustments, etc., but I all of a sudden have no faith in my abilities. What a mess.

First the TdF scandal, and now my traveling anxiety, what's a gal to do?

Tri Girl
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Is it possible that you could rent a bike while there? I don't know if that's an option (and it certainly won't be/feel the same as your beloved regular), but if it'll save you $240 then why not look into it?
I love taking my bike when on vacation (although we always drive, so it rides on the trunk), so I understand the desire to have it to ride with you.
What a dilema...

KnottedYet
06-30-2006, 02:57 PM
I just read an article about some dude (PhD in engineering or something) who is making good folding bikes and selling them for $200-300. He doesn't advertise. They come with a case. The reveiw I read was pretty exciting.

A-ha! I just found it! Adventure Cyclist April 2006, pages 40-43. The bike is called "Downtube" www.downtube.com $269. "Prices may vary"

Cool, for the price of shipping your current bike, you could buy a second bike! Then if you wanted to go on another trip sometime you could just pack up your foldy and be good to go!

(ok, now I want a commuter-mobile, a steel tourer, a recumbent, and a folding bike)

Edit: I just went to his website, and it looks like he's raised his prices. Betcha he'd sell for the prices quoted in AC anyway.

farrellcollie
06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I have a 2005 downtube VIII- I really like it - I use it to commute when I don't need full hybrid and it fits better into my office. I have never travelled by plane with it - but others have - it is a little more complicated than just simply folding =but I think it is supposed to fit into a regular large suitcase. If you are interested in a folding bike - I suggest reading the forums at bikeforum.net (I think- it may be bikeforums.net) - there is a section devoted to folders.

emily_in_nc
06-30-2006, 05:04 PM
It doesn't help much for now, but for the future, take a look at Bike Friday (http://www.bikefriday.com). They are wonderful bicycles (not just folding bikes) and a great company. There are many threads here that discuss them, just do a search. No upcharges to ship them in the very nice hard-shell rolling suitcases.

Good luck with your decision. The Adirondacks are a favorite place of mine! There's always hiking if you can't ride.... :o

Emily

cusepack
06-30-2006, 05:25 PM
If I wasn't so darned attached to cycling and my bike, my decision sure would be easier - nah, I'm not addicted!!!

A folding bike is actually a wonderful option for future traveling. Or, I even considered (at some point in time), purchasing perhaps a Trek 1000 to keep at my parents so I won't have to make such decisions!!!

Thank you for the folding bike idea ladies.

Oh, and the Adirondacks, I adore the Adirondacks. My Aunt & Uncle own a two-story beautiful log home right on one of the lakes and have access to great hiking trails so I will certainly get in a hike. They have tons of deer that roam their property and even chipmunks that we hand feed - they're the cutest little buggers.

Anyway, I'm still undecided . . . my Mom said to me today, "now when do you think you'll have time to ride?" As it is, my b-day is the 8th and we're having a big barbecue, and, I'm surprising my two nieces, so my Mom figures they'll be attached at the hip the whole time I'm there!!! She does make a point, but somehow, I always find the time. Decisions, decisions!!!

Again, many thanks for your responses:)

Lenusik
07-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Or, I even considered (at some point in time), purchasing perhaps a Trek 1000 to keep at my parents so I won't have to make such decisions!!!

This is actually the best idea. We are planning to get couple of used bikes to keep at the in-laws in Wisconsin. Renting a bike coulb be good but there is nothing better then having your own set up. You would still need to take your shoes, pedals, seat, etc. I really wouldn't bother.
Just one thing - please stay save in NYC. Traffic there is not very bike friendly.

kjay
07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Another thought: perhaps you could ship it via UPS from one bike shop to another; I understand shipping via UPS isn't as expensive as taking the bike on a plane with you.

Triskeliongirl
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
For ~$40 each way you can ship it fedex ground, if you can be without it for 4 business days on each side of the trip. I just did this for a trip after my bike friday was stolen, and it worked great. Otherwise, both bike fridays and Ritchey Breakaway bikes are good options. Don't worry about the reassembly. Its trivial. All you have to do is be able to unscrew and reattach the handlebars to the stem, and remove/reattach your pedals, wheels, and seatpost. Piece of cake. Packing and unpacking take less than 15 minutes. I like to wash the bike, pack it, and then relube after assembly.

Crankin
07-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Sometimes you can "work" with the gate agent about the cost of shipping your bike. My former exchange student, who is here now, racing, told the guy at the Delta gate in Berlin that he kept the weight of the bike/case under the limit and the agent changed his mind and said, OK, won't charge you." Of course, his bike IS super light. My son did not have such a good experience shipping his bike to Tucson via UPS. It was scratched and something was broken (can't remember what). They came out and looked at it and decided not to pay to fix it. This was a very expensive custom bike, only a few months old.
If you travel a lot, get a folding bike. My husband has a Bike Friday that he takes on most business trips. I plan to get one when i stop working and can travel with him.

Triskeliongirl
07-02-2006, 06:27 PM
In my experience Fedex handles bikes better than UPS (also according to our shipping clerks that file the insurance claims). Also, how you pack it matters. I use a trico iron case, and am very careful how I pack it.

downtube
11-15-2007, 05:53 AM
I just read an article about some dude (PhD in engineering or something) who is making good folding bikes and selling them for $200-300. He doesn't advertise. They come with a case. The reveiw I read was pretty exciting.

A-ha! I just found it! Adventure Cyclist April 2006, pages 40-43. The bike is called "Downtube" www.downtube.com $269. "Prices may vary"

Cool, for the price of shipping your current bike, you could buy a second bike! Then if you wanted to go on another trip sometime you could just pack up your foldy and be good to go!

(ok, now I want a commuter-mobile, a steel tourer, a recumbent, and a folding bike)

Edit: I just went to his website, and it looks like he's raised his prices. Betcha he'd sell for the prices quoted in AC anyway.

I am the designer of the Downtube folding bikes. I wanted to thank you for the kind words. Additionally I wanted to clarify a few details.

#1 The Adventure Cycling article referenced our 2005 bikes, we are now selling 2008 models ( 4 generations evolved from the bikes in the article ).
#2 Our bikes are all aluminum with 8 or 9sp drivetrains. We are the only 20" folders with 9sp drivetrains under $1000....our 9sp bikes start at $299.
#3 We sell overstock bikes on ebay occasionally hence you may be able find an even better deal.
#4 I have a Ph.D. in math

Thanks,
Yan

Downtube Folding Bikes (http://www.downtube.com)