PDA

View Full Version : tri specific?

Lise
06-30-2006, 06:19 AM
I just got a Serfas women's tri saddle. Different seat post to put me in an "aero" position during the tri, give me more power in the running muscles when I come off the bike.

I'd switched from a Terry CrMo to a Serfas saddle and was happy with it on my Bianchi Veloche. 12 mile ride yesterday with the new Serfas tri saddle, and I was shifting around the whole time to relieve pressure on soft tissue, today pretty sore over the sit bones.

Anyone else with tri saddle experiences/suggestions to share? How important is a tri-specific saddle when riding in the aero bars?

Grog
06-30-2006, 06:59 AM
I have no personal experience of this but a friend of mine got a Concord-looking saddle after becoming extremely concerned with numbness (he's an Ironman type of guy, spends 5 hours on the trainer on a regular basis). He tried many seats and his standards were quite high. This Concord thing has a sloped nose in the front and the "cut-out" is actually going to the end of the saddle in the back. My SO has been looking at a similar saddle (the SLC by Selle Italia I believe) which doesn't have the sloping nose though, and the bike store guy had good things to say about it for long-distance riding, too (but he didn't mention the aero position).

Fizik also makes a tri-specific Arione, but interestingly it has no cut-out. (None of their saddle does, I think they think it's just a fad. They could be right, who knows...)

I found the Jett very comfy when I was in the drops (that's as close as I get to "aero"), unfortunately in the meantime it was biting my bum so I got rid of it. I'm still saddle-shopping so I'll ask specifically about that next time I spend an hour in a store considering different seats!!!! :eek:

Nanci
07-02-2006, 11:11 AM
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/saddle06.shtml

(Of course, these are men's saddles). I am currently testing the Blackwell Flow- it actually made it out of the box and onto the bike. My first impression is- it's comfortable. It's really not fair to test it the day after a 140 mile ride. I am really interested in Balckwell's other saddle, the Adamo, that has no nose. I met two girls who do IMs who were both riding that. I got to ride it in the parking lot- it was weird but comfortable for the girlie bits but a little wider than normal, (but my Vitesse is very narrow, through the nose) but put pressure on a different area of pelvic bones than I was used to, but not necessarily in an uncomfortable way. I get almost the same sensation from the Flow.

I'd be happy to lend it to you, Lise, if you wanted to see what you thought, after I get a couple more rides in on it. I'm in no hurry to replace Vitesse, but she's getting a little threadbare- so I want to be prepared when the day comes. I don't have any specific complaints about the Vitesse, either- I think it works very well for me- I'm just having "the grass is greener" syndrome, or something.

Nanci

Nanci
07-02-2006, 11:14 AM
PS- a lot of people I know, male and female, ride that Profile Tri Stryke and swear by it.

Nanci

DrBee
07-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Lise - the Terry Zero X is supposed to be good for tri's. Here's the blurb from the terry site:

"Terry's lightest weight women's saddle provides a flared rear platform ideal for increased leverage on climbs and in big ring power sprints. Slightly wider rear than the Damselfly, with a larger cutaway that extends further forward. A flat overall platform and slightly wider nose increase the forward riding surface while in an aero position on the bike, making this a good choice for racing, triathlons and time trials. Vanox rails are as light as titanium and stronger so they're less prone to failure when used on a variety of seatposts. Textured leather surface with matte disks wears beautifully over time and keeps excess movement to a minimum."

I have this saddle and love it! MP suggested it - she has one (Terry Zero). It has very little/no padding, but gives good support and doesn't squish the girly bits. I haven't done a tri YET, but I'm hoping it will work! No problems in the drops anyway. And - TE sells it with a 90 Day return policy:eek:

Nanci
07-02-2006, 04:26 PM
It looks pretty cool. Maybe I should try that one, too. I like the minimal padding.

Nanci

Lise
07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the input, ladies. I'm going to take a longer ride tomorrow (how long depends on whether the pregnant ladies let me sleep tonight! :rolleyes: ) If I feel the same way about the saddle while wearing my better chamois'd shorts, I'll take it back to LBS. I'll see if they have the Terry Zero X, or can get it, so I don't have to pay shipping.

Nanci, let me know what you think of the Flow--maybe I will borrow it to try it out when you are willing to let it out of your sight for a little while.

BTW, Nanci, I have repeatedly attempted to purchase the 2005 Kona IM DVD, and each time the ironmanstore.com site rejects my attempts to throw money at them! Fortunately, they have a printable order form, so I just gave up trying online, and will mail it to them tomorrow. When I get it and watch it, I'll send it to you, with the two you loaned me. Sooooo inspiring! :D

DrBee
07-03-2006, 08:22 AM
It looks pretty cool. Maybe I should try that one, too. I like the minimal padding.

Nanci

It's definitely not squishy! I have no problems with it and I'm using cheap-o shorts. I can only imagine how comfortable it would be with good shorts! If I get that job...

It also weighs something like 240 grams - I think that's less than my helmet!

Nanci
07-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Do you have the 2005, or the "softer for 2006" model?

Nanci

Lise
07-04-2006, 04:16 AM
I rode a pretty fast 20 miles on the Serfas saddle yesterday, getting into the aero bars or drops whenever I safely could. Not as bad as the first ride. I'll give it one more long ride before I decide I don't like it. The Terry Zero X looks good, but these things can only be decided by the "bits"! I may order it to try it out, since I can always send it back.