PDA

View Full Version : My bike insisted on visiting Downeast Maine (again!)

DeniseGoldberg
06-30-2006, 06:27 AM
I enjoyed my visit to Downeast Maine last year so much that I decided I needed to go back. I wanted another chance to visit the puffins, and riding up there is wonderful too. I could blame the entire trip on my bicycle and my camera, but I have to admit that something keeps drawing me back there.

I headed back for a long weekend from June 23rd through the 26th. My trip was a combination of day rides rather than a tour (as in, I used my bike just for fun as opposed to using it as fun plus transportation to my next night's lodging) - so it was a bit of a change of pace for me. That was the right decision for this trip, especially given the weather. It was a gray weekend, but I only rode one day in heavy downpours. In spite of the weather conditions, it was a good riding and photo weekend.

Oh, you want to know where I rode? My bike and I looped Park Loop Road and the Schoodic Peninsula in Acadia National Park, did an out-and-back ride starting in Machias and heading past Cutler, and an out-and-back ride in the Freeport area (barely escaping the rain!). And I also visited Machias Seal Island to see the puffins.

If you're interested in my wanderings, you can find my journal at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/denise2006downeast. As of this morning, the journal is almost complete - all of the writing is there, and I plan to finish uploading photos later today.

There are also more pictures in my photo galleries at http://denise.smugmug.com/Travel/203621. There are 4 galleries; within each gallery you can look at pictures individually or you can use the slideshow button to scroll through automatically.

I hope you enjoy looking over my shoulder!

--- Denise

Brandy
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Where do I sign up for the Denise Goldberg led tours? I'm ready to go!

It looks like you had a wonderful time and I really enjoyed your photos, you have quite the eye!

SadieKate
06-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Gorgeous photos, Denise. Made me pine for the northern pacific coast. Ah, so little time and so many places to go.

Denise223
06-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Denise!

Thanks for sharing your long weekend with us!!

I loved being able to follow you on your trip(s)..... You are an incredible photographer, too :) .
The Puffins are really BEAUTIFUL, aren't they??

I never noticed this before, but -- they really do have gorgeous colored eyes & it almost looks as if they're wearing a little bit of black mascara....
On p.13 (smugmug slideshow), the cute lil' Puffin on the right looks as if you caught him/her in 'mid-stride'... :p Precious!

I love living in New England....... There are sooooooooooo many beautiful places to see, (NH, Maine, VT), and it doesn't take long to get there, (by car). Of course, MA, CT & RI are lovely as well -- I just prefer up North.

It is such a treat to be able to get out of this cramped & congested city in which I live & be transported to a scenic, tranquil & wonderous area......
Perhaps one day I'll be able to get up there by bike, too :D !!

BTW....I think that Rover might need a friend :) -- You'll have to check out "Puffer the Puffin"! (click on link & search for "Puffer".
http://www.ty.com/newhomein?custid=&r=1151690297

Have a peaceful day!

Denise

DeniseGoldberg
06-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my photos. I have such a good time playing with my camera, and it's fun to share the results with everyone.

BTW....I think that Rover might need a friend :) -- You'll have to check out "Puffer the Puffin"!
And Denise - Rover says thanks for thinking about him, but he really prefers being a solo act. He said that way he knows he can play with the camera whenever he'd like (that is, when it's not in my hands!), and while he's willing to share the snacks with me, he thinks that's enough! He asks if you have a mascot who accompanies you on your bike.

--- Denise

Denise223
07-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi Denise!

Rover has quite the life :D ......that's for sure!!

No :( , I don't have a mascot who comes with me on my rides -- yet, that is....

I was going to get an Arkel "Tail Rider", but....I saw one in Belmont the other day and realized that it really is too big for what I need.
I did see a "small bar bag" (Arkel), and I think that that will be the perfect size to bring along everything that I need. (though, I really didn't want to have a bag on my handlebars....)

As soon as I get a bag, I certainly will get myself a mascot, or choose one from my large collection of beanie babies. After all, he/she will need a place to rest....right?? :p

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

Take Care!

Denise

brok
07-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Denise, Love your pics, thanks for sharing them. I also have a digitalCanon EOs Rebel XT. It made me bring it home last November. I have taken some wonderful pictures with it. What lens are you using?

DeniseGoldberg
07-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Denise, Love your pics, thanks for sharing them. I also have a digitalCanon EOs Rebel XT. It made me bring it home last November. I have taken some wonderful pictures with it. What lens are you using?

Ah, so your camera found you just a couple of months before mine insisted on joining me! I'm very happy with it so far. I have 2 lenses - a Sigma 18-125 zoom, and a Canon macro lens. I tried a longer zoom (an 18-200) but I found that I couldn't hold the camera steady with the longer lens. And because size was a factor for me since I planned to take the camera with me on my bike, I didn't look at any longer lenses that included image stabilization.

I hope you're having as much fun with your camera as I am with mine!

--- Denise