PDA

View Full Version : What saddle for an XC MTB?

emily_in_nc
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
As many of you know from another thread, I am awaiting a Titus Racer X, purchased used on ebay (I can't wait!!!) It comes with whatever womens' saddle the previous owner had (I didn't even ask because I figured it wouldn't suit me, everyone being so different). Being a newbie to mountain biking, what type of saddle do y'all recommend for XC riding (gravel roads, paved trails, and eventually single track)? Is there a particular shape/size that works best for this type of riding?

I have a Performance Contour Womens on my starter mtb that is very comfy (narrow, with a cutout, but some padding for the sitbones), but I might want something a little lighter on my Racer-X. I have used Terry Butterflies in the past on road bikes and found them very comfy, but they're a bit wide for me so give me some chafing problems in back.

I am intrigued by the new Terry Falcon X, but according to the Terry site, it's the same width as the Butterfly. I'm wondering about the men's version - the Falcon Y, since the narrower width works better for me, but it's a little longer - would that not be desirable on a mtb?

Any suggestions or info? :confused:

Thanks!
Emily

yellow
06-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Emily, I'm smallish too and I love the WTB Rocket V (http://www.wtb.com/saddles_rocketv.html) on my Racer X. It's narrow and altogether minimal. It's easy to get my butt behind because it is so narrow, yet I find it very comfy for seated riding. It may be the "whale tail" cradling my behind! It's realtively inexpensive (unless you get the fancy-schmancy one). If you were close by I'd let you test drive mine!

texas_emily
06-28-2006, 06:57 PM
I also have a WTB saddle on my mtb. I opted for the Speed She, and I'm pretty happy with it.

It's light and comfortable, and the "love channel" works as well as a cut out for me (I'm in the Terry Butterfly camp). It also gives me a lot of room to get off and behind the saddle for descents.

My only complaint is that the trim/decals are wearing off very quickly. The first time I laid it down, I was wiping off decals along with the mud!

DirtDiva
06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I luuuuurve my Pure V (not the narrowest they make though, if that's a priority), but if I remember rightly you weren't keen on a WTB you had on another bike..? Unless I'm thinking of someone else's saddle woes and prefs, that is...

Trekhawk
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
My bike came with WTB rocket but I just couldnt get comfy on it. I stuck one of my old road saddles on a Terry Butterfly and it was ok. After riding and talking with SK it became clear that there was no way I could get that saddle thru my legs when trying to get my butt back. It was just too wide. So I had a whirl on SK's bike and her saddle seemed pretty comfy so I ordered one. Its the WTB Laser V SLT. I dont have it yet but Im hoping it will be a keeper.:)

fatbottomedgurl
06-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I use a Specialized Body Geometry mtb racing saddle that I have found to very comfortable. It fits between my thighs when I hang off the back for downhills.
They come in different widths, both men's an women's. I don't think mine is wsd.

bcipam
06-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Emily, I'm smallish too and I love the WTB Rocket V (http://www.wtb.com/saddles_rocketv.html) on my Racer X. It's narrow and altogether minimal. It's easy to get my butt behind because it is so narrow, yet I find it very comfy for seated riding. It may be the "whale tail" cradling my behind! It's realtively inexpensive (unless you get the fancy-schmancy one). If you were close by I'd let you test drive mine!

I'm "larger" and love this saddle as well. Another WTB saddle to consider is the Laser which I have on my HT and also love.

emily_in_nc
06-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the replies!!

I should have mentioned that I simply cannot ride a saddle without a cutout. Just can't do it. tlkiwi, you have a great memory - my original mtb came with a WTB saddle, cute little thing, the width was great, so I really did give it the old college try, thinking I might have outgrown my cutout-need, but no way no how! I ended up selling it.

fatbottomedgurl, the Specialized saddles look great (I especially like the looks and sound of the Rival SL), and they have the cutouts I need, so I will go that route if needed. But just looking at them reminded me - duh - that I have a saddle on my Aegis road bike I'm not currently riding that just might do. It's a Selle San Marco Atola womens saddle, narrow, lightweight, great cutout, and short as well. Would be easy to get over the back of it. It's a bit on the hard side (it's a road saddle, of course), but with a full suspension, perhaps it would work. I guess since the price is right (FREE!), it's worth a try. Is there any reason it wouldn't possibly work on a mtb? Or is it just uncool to use a road saddle on a mtb? I'm such a clueless newbie when it comes to all things mountain!

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=44484&cat=270&brand=224

Thanks ladies!
Emily

SalsaMTB
06-30-2006, 06:19 AM
I love the WTB SST 2K. It isn't made anymore, but you can still find it on ebay and greenfishsports.com There isn't a cutout, but it's an amazing saddle. I need to stock up on them before they're sold out!!

bouncybouncy
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
great replies...i have butterfly on my mtb and love it but i do not get off the back very well and am looking for a new saddle!

thanks for asking the question em...

i may just have a butterfly for sale i will need to post soon :confused:

bcipam
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Just something to consider - why there are road saddles and MTB saddles...

Typically on a road saddle you position yourself and seldon if ever do much moving around (yes I do sometimes when climbing either sit back or move forward) but on a MTB saddle there is alot of moving around. You need to have a long narrow saddle so you can move forward agressively while climbing and have something your thighs can clutch while you pulled back for descents. Not saying a road saddle won't work just saying there is a purpose to a MTB saddle. I also find I don't need a cut out on my MTB saddle, just not in one place long enough for it to matter in fact, it would probably be a hindrance.

DirtDiva
06-30-2006, 01:08 PM
tlkiwi, you have a great memory - my original mtb came with a WTB saddle, cute little thing, the width was great, so I really did give it the old college try, thinking I might have outgrown my cutout-need, but no way no how! I ended up selling it.
I wouldn't say "great" so much as filled with a random, random, random selection of information. :p Hope you find something you like for your sweet new ride. :)

emily_in_nc
06-30-2006, 04:42 PM
You need to have a long narrow saddle so you can move forward agressively while climbing and have something your thighs can clutch while you pulled back for descents.

Ahhhh, with that information in mind, my Atola (short) probably won't work that well. The Terry Falcon Y might, though - it's both narrow and long.

Or one of the Specialized ones...looks like I'd need the middle size (143 mm), based on the fact that my Atola is 140mm and fits great width-wise.

At first when I'm not doing any single track, pretty much anything will probably be fine, but sounds like I'll need to make a more appropriate choice when I move up to single track.

Thanks - great ideas!

Emily

P.S. My Titus Racer X was supposed to arrive today via UPS but for some reason has been delayed until Monday. Whine!!! :mad:

Pebble
07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
My bike came with a WTB Rocket V, gave it a good go & it was generally comfy & good enough for MTB, but any time on the road - or a long bitumen climb and parts would start going numb. If only it had a cutout. Although I think it wasn't quite wide enough for my bum as well.

After trying most saddles in the Specialized range. I picked up my new Avatar Gel 155mm yesterday. Seems promising and fingers crossed. Hopefully I'll get to give it a good test today. Initial impression I seem to think the squishy bits will be fine, just have to see how the sit bones go - it seems like it could be a bit harsher or I have to get the set up dialled in a bit more.

Good luck in your hunt - just give some of the recommended ones a trial if you can. At least you have a wider choice being in the smaller size range :)

Luci
07-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Bumping this back up.

Do you all feel that the cutouts and or channels are essential?

I am saddle and short combination shopping. I'm having to sit out riding today after getting badly chaffed in a new saddle/bike short combo yesterday so I want a new saddle/short combo, like NOW --or do I? I rode for years with my old GT gel light saddle. It has a very slight indentation in the middle. I'm wondering if I should just keep the darn thing, ride in my old shorts and put up with the pressure sort of saddle sores it gives me.

I've got a thread started in the new rider's section, but hoping I might get infor here as well.

fatbottomedgurl
07-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Luci that is one gorgeous horse!
Don't put up with pain. It will stop you from riding. And if I remember you have a 50 miler planned.
My two cents on shorts- I got the Sugoi Evolution shorts recommended by my female LBS owner. They are not as expensive as the ones Nanci wears. They run around $69.00 I think, which is a lot, but they are fabulous with a great chamois. I don't wear baggies, they make me look fat. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi capris and yes, the chamois on the pearls are massive.

Be sure to go commando under the shorts. Undies will cause chafing.

My saddle has a slight cut-out. Not sure if it matters. Any saddle will cause soreness on the sit-bone area if your butt is not used to riding. Your LBS should be willing to let you try them out a few days at a time. The internet is great for discounts on stuff you know you will keep, but the LBS is still the best when you aren't sure. I have lost money on shipping that I would rather just give to my LBS. Plus you get their devotion to you when you spend money with them.

Luci
07-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks FBG for the reply. I'll take a look at those shorts.

I'm headed out in 30 min to REI because there's a woman there who does lots of miles. Most shops around here are run by 19 year old guys that I've been into so far. There are more girls riding now, but this is still Utah. I rode with the guys when I was riding because it was so hard to find any my age willing to hit it. When I did a couple of races there were only a hand full in the 35 and over. Seems to be more "lady-like" to jump horses few guys would touch. Strange culture here.

I rode in a pair of new PI's with the 3D race chamouis. Always commando:D . I can't imagine bunched up undies:eek: under bike pants or thong ouch!!!. I'm 5'6 and have that middle aged I need to drop 15 pounds thing, but these MTB shorts make you look great. Honest!!!! They'd make anyone look good. If you can take the big chamois, I totally recommend them. Not too low so it tucks my stomach in and looks good, but low enough not to look like I borrowed them from my mom. I love them . . . unfortunately for a 40 min. interval train up the hills in my neighborhood only.

Oh, my baby is an exracer Thoroughbred and my favorite all time horse ever. He has a wonderful new owner who loves him too and lets me visit him:)

fatbottomedgurl
07-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I am so lucky because I am able to ride with older women who have nothing to prove and just want to have fun. I'm 43, ride with gals who are 40 and 50+. We tackle some pretty tough climbing so we can do sweet DH single track. People always look a little shocked and usually admiring at us old broads on mountain bikes (AKA Dirtchix). The best part is walking into the smoothie shop covered with sweat, mud, dust and often at least one bloody injury in the group. No spinning class prima donnas on their way to a pedicure here...:D

emily_in_nc
07-25-2006, 06:49 PM
I am so lucky because I am able to ride with older women who have nothing to prove and just want to have fun. I'm 43, ride with gals who are 40 and 50+. We tackle some pretty tough climbing so we can do sweet DH single track. People always look a little shocked and usually admiring at us old broads on mountain bikes (AKA Dirtchix). The best part is walking into the smoothie shop covered with sweat, mud, dust and often at least one bloody injury in the group. No spinning class prima donnas on their way to a pedicure here...:D

Oooh, I wish I lived near you! Sounds fun! I only have one gal to ride with at the moment, and she lives quite a ways from me. Fortunately, we're both pretty much in the novice category where mtb is concerned, so we're well matched. I'm also trying to get my husband interested. He's more into hiking and running, but I am working on him!

Emily

SadieKate
07-26-2006, 08:10 AM
No spinning class prima donnas on their way to a pedicure here...:DExcuse me? What is wrong with a pedicure? I never had one until the TE girls converted me. The trick is to coordinate dirt and polish colors.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Oregon/Dirtytoes.jpg

DirtDiva
07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Nice sock marks. ;)

fatbottomedgurl
07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
That is a great photo!!! No, there's nothing wrong with a pedicure. I've been known to indulge myself too. It's just that type of woman- well, Westlake women (if you lived here you would know what I mean.) They don't get their hands dirty, they have maids and nannies and personal trainers named Hans and in spin class they don't want the fans on because they will mess up their hairdos.

SadieKate
07-27-2006, 07:01 AM
I grew up in Oxnard. I know what you mean.

They also complain that little Fifi gets eaten by coyotes and mountain lions. Well, dang, they moved into coyote- and lion-land. What did they expect? The coyotes and cats were there first.