PDA

View Full Version : How much noise it too much?

CycleChic06
06-27-2006, 09:26 AM
My gears seem to be making some noise when I pedal. It's not very loud, but it also feels a bit rough. I never really noticed it until after I came back from a ride and hopped on my dad's bike to try it out and noticed how smooth and quiet it was and I have better deraillieurs (Shimano 105) than him. Also, something that he pointed out was how loud the ticking was when I was coasting.

Could this be the front and rear derailleurs out of alignment? How much noise should the bike really make? It's a Specialized Dolce Elite, it's only three months old and has about 260 miles on it.

Just wondering if it's something I shoul brave the bike shop with...don't want to be laughed out of there when they tell me it's supposd to make noise.

Emily

annie
06-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Emily,

Have you taken it back in to the shop at all since you first got the bike? Cables tend to stretch out in the first 100-200 miles on a new bike. It's a good idea to take it back in and have them check it over after the initial break-in time. You shouldn't have to put up with noise or rough shifting. The LBS's around here all offer a free check-up on a new bike. And they should NEVER laugh at you, for any questions you have! How else are you going to learn, if not by asking.

annie

DebW
06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
The ticking noise when you coast is normal. It's just the pawls in the freewheel/freehub that keep the freewheel from turning backwards. That noise will always be that loud. It's just a function of the freewheel design. You should learn to love that sound.

The noise when you pedal is not good. As Annie said, take it back to your LBS for an adjustment. It's supposed to need that adjustment after a few weeks. And it will take about 10 minutes. It's caused by the rear derailleur cage not being perfectly aligned with the cog on the cassette, so the chain is landing off center to the cog and it dings or grinds. A well-adjusted bike should be quiet when you are pedaling.

PAP103
06-27-2006, 11:25 AM
I have a new Trek Pilot 2.1 with Shimano 105 and the gears were making a racket so I brought it in to LBS for adjusting and it was OK for a while but then it started again. I took it in Sunday afternoon after my ride and explained to the tech what was going on. It was just an adjustment that took less than 10 minutes. He also adjusted my brakes and lubed my chain. He also advised me to bring it by for the 1 month tune up which I made an appointment for.

I rode last night and it was like riding a different bike. No noise and smooth shifting. Needless to say I'm very pleased! So take your bike over to your LBS - its worth the trip!!
Patty

CycleChic06
06-27-2006, 12:33 PM
I took the bike in after the first month which was a bit over a 100miles as they told me too and the guy at the shop said "It's so clean, did you even ride this?" Jerk. I guess it's time to bring it back in and have them take a look at it. There's also an occasional clanking noise when I'm pedaling hard that I think has something to do with the crank arm that I want them to take a look at. <sigh> I won't let these LBS guys intimidate me! If they do, I'm taking it elsewhere next time.

As far as the clicking during coasting, I know that's normal, my dad just pointed out it was louder that is was pretty loud...or at least louder than his bike.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Emily

archibella
06-29-2006, 02:19 PM
"I took the bike in after the first month which was a bit over a 100miles as they told me to and the guy at the shop said "It's so clean, did you even ride this?" Jerk."

I would have had the same reaction! What a jerk. Sometimes it takes a few shops to find one where they don't mind answering questions, and they're not only sales people and mechanics but teachers as well. I know I went through 3 different LBS before I settled on one. It could also be that particular person... don't be afraid to ask for someone else.

CycleChic06
06-29-2006, 06:19 PM
I took my bike in tonight. I was a bit aprehensive, worried I'd get the same guy and he'd just say 'duh, bikes are supposed to make nosie.' But the guy who helped me tonight was really nice and even taught me how to lube the chain. He was so friendly, and he explained everything to me. I'm trying not to be biased, he was a MTB-er, they always seemed to be so chill and nice...in my exprience, it's usually the male roadies that are prententious and rude.

As too the noise, he made a few adjustments but told me a little noise is unavoidable, because in certain gears the chain will rub against the front derailleur since there are three gears and the geometry of the chain causes that to happen. But he fixed a few things and now it will only happen when I use the largest gear in the back, which I rarely ever do anyway.

So he said in the end I was right to bring it in since it really needed to be adjusted.

But yes archibella, I was on my way to this LBS and almost turned around and went to another one instead. But I really wanted to bring it to this place since it's where I bought the bike...I figure I would give them one more chance to be nice to me. Luckily they passed.