PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Bike Park

fatbottomedgurl
06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Well not to make anyone jealous we went for a week to Mammoth (Sierra Nevada, CA). They are still skiing up top, so no lifts were open, but were able to ride the bottom half of the mountain for free. DH and I would drive up, bomb down, pedal up, down a different trail. Wonderful singletrack through shady pines and firs. Big difference from my local sun and chapperal. Improved my downhill skills, especially tight switchbacks!

Car broke down on the way home. Had to spend the night in Lone Pine and wait for a part. Back to reality...

BTW you Four Corners people, please take your weather back. You have sent us 90º humid sticky yucky ickiness. Gimme my 20% humidity back...please!

~Yvonne in (usually) beautiful So Cal.

redhot3368
06-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Yvonne!!
Hi....
I am going to Mammoth for the 4th of July weekend!!!
Are there much cross country type trails?? or mainly downhill stuff??
I am more of a climber then all that technical downhill stuff!
What was the weather like??
I am supposted to meet some friends at the main lodge Sat for riding,
can we start from there?
Thanks for any info you can give me!
Karen :)

bouncybouncy
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
fbg: i totally do not believe you!!! that was fully intentional of causing jealousy :mad:

but ironically i am more jealous by the fact that people are still SKIING!!!!

i am originally from N Cali and now **stuck** hehe out here in beeeeeeeeeautiful N Carolina...all the mtbing i can take but the skiing is a little to be desired:(

AWWWWell...take the better with the bit worse and life is still good....glad you had fun!!!

fatbottomedgurl
06-27-2006, 10:27 AM
The weather was fabulous!!! Blue skies, high 70's. The ski area closes fourth of July, so I'm sure the top of the mountain will not be open for bikes. I suppose some of the other lifts will be operating. If you meet at the main lodge you can buy your pass at the adventure center and start riding from there. We were riding the north/east side of the mountain. Too bad for us there were no signs up until the last day so we needed to guess where we were.

Have no fear it is not all gnarly down-hill stuff. I did not crash once. (Beginner's luck-- I crashed this morning.) Check out the interactive map. You can ride Paper route all the way over to the other side, loop back, and head down Big Ring to warming hut II (a little technical and one heart-in-throat cliff next to you) or cut over to DownTown all the way to the new Village shopping center for lunch/ Starbucks. DownTown is a blast/ easy singletrack. If you want to stay on the mountain take Uptown back, it is an easy climb. Or you can ride the road. But if you buy the full pass there's the shuttle.
Here is the map link: Use the interactive map and click on the blue and green trails to start.

Have a blast!!!

http://www.mammothmountain.com/bike_ride/bike_park/trail_map/#

redhot3368
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Thank you SOOO much for the info!!!

K :)