PDA

View Full Version : pedal help

Jones
06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
I just got "power grips" and want to install them on my bike before I commute to work, tonight. I don't know what kind of lube to put on the pedal threads. Do I clean the pedal hole in the crank arm before installing the new pedal? If I do with what? Is bike lube bike lube or are there different kinds for different jobs? Thanks in advance for your help. Jones

bike4ever
06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
apply grease - not lube.

Kalidurga
06-27-2006, 09:08 AM
I thought I was going to need new pedals for my PowerGrips, too (I just bought the strips to attach to my own pedals), so I asked at a couple of LBS's whether I'd be able to install the pedals myself. At each shop, I was told that you have to be very careful about threading the pedals. I also read this in a bike maintenance manual I was looking at over the weekend. If you do it yourself on this job, you may want to get very specific instructions.

DebW
06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Pedals simply screw into the crank arms. The right one is right-hand threaded, the left left-hand threaded (they both turn towards the front of the bike in the top half of the wrench stroke). You do need to be careful to not cross-thread the pedals, because that will ruin a crankset. Just make sure that the pedal goes in squarely and doesn't bind. Tighten it very firmly. Pedal wrenches have long handles to provide enough torque for tightening, and especially for loosening.

mimitabby
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I just did this myself this weekend. I asked my husband to install the pedals (because the pedals on the bike were his) and he said, no i'll teach you!

it is odd because the right pedal screws on the right way but the left pedal is backwards.. he had a tube of grease (it was raspberry colored) and i had to put a tiny bead of it on each screw.

I was fortunate enough to be able to copy what my son did with the powergrips on my tandem to copy the same thing. (make sure all screws are tight !)

I am absolutely sold on them on my tandem bike (i'm the stoker) but am still not sure about the single bike; I am not getting into them as quickly as i'd like.

Jones
06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I got the pedals off fine, it was just the whole grease think freaking me out. Anyway the job is done. I'm not sure how I feel about the power grips yet, I wear lug soled shoes to work and they kinda catch on the pedals. Before I had smooth plastic pedals that were not compatible with the power grips.
Thanks everyone for your help. Jones

Fuji Girl
06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
This might be too late, but I always grease the pedal threads before putting them on the crankset. I use white lithium grease, which comes in a toothpaste-like tube. They sell it for $2-3 at any hardware store/Home Depot. I put a little bit on a paper towel and lightly cover the pedal threads with some, it facilitates removing the pedal a later time.

itsabreez-er
07-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey Jones,
I just installed PowerGrips on my commuter bike and took them for a test ride yesterday. I rode 10 miles "before" and 10 miles "after". I'm not sure I've got them to where I like them yet (I've adjusted them twice so far) but certainly notice an increase in efficiency with them on. I have to start/stop a lot when I run errands and/or commute to work and think I'm going to be really happy with them. My husband (big feet, small toe clips) has pedal envy and I think I'll be ordering a pair of XL's for him soon.

Jones
07-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I use white lithium grease, which comes in a toothpaste-like tube.

Thanks for the reply, that is what I used. My DH had some in the garage, grease is something I usually try to avoid, not look for and I really don't like anything goopy on my hands.
The PowerGrips I like,but not nearly as much as I like clipless. If I didn't have to change shoes at work I would of gone that route. In saying that though my ride to work is short (1.5 miles) and hot (110, yes, that hot) so I move real slow. When it cools and I start to pedal again I may find I really like them.
Jones