PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on commuting to work

cherinyc
06-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi - I am one of the lucky ones that live within a commutable biking distance from work (about 5 miles each way)- and plan to start riding to work after some practice riding my new road bike (I am picking her up today).
However, since I am new to cycling and this will be my first road bike - I am nervous about having to carry too much on my back while riding.

I am also a sweater (and I don't mean the wool or cashmere kind):o which makes me wonder about how gross I might be by the time I get to work. The New Jersey area gets pretty hot and humid.

I do not consider myself a primadonna by any means, but I do like to look decent - I wear a little makeup - and I work in the Marketing Dept of a Pharmaceutical Company, so I can't wear shorts or anything.

I would love to hear tips or regimines that you all use. My office building has a small shower downstairs in a ladies locker room, but since it (the gym and locker room) is owned by the building (and we are a tenant) we are not allowed to keep locks on the lockers overnight (to keep soap, etc).
I also have long hair, so a quick shower and blow dry isn't always feasable.
UGGGGHH - there's got to be a solution.
Don't wanna be stinky!!
cheri

SalsaMTB
06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
After commuting, I always shower before work. My first time commuting, I loaded up the bag with all my necessities and boy did it get heavy half way though the 16 mile commute. We have a nice locker room that we are allowed to keep locks on overnight, so I keep all my necessities there now. What about keeping everything at your desk? Do you have a drawer you can store it in? It's sort of a pain to go to your desk, then the locker room, but it's much easier than hauling the blow dryer to and from work every day.

Also, I find I am unable to bike every day. So I load up on the days I drive with the clothes I'll need for the days I commute and keep them in my locker. Maybe if you have an empty drawer at your desk, you can do this. Your commute is pretty short though, so if you can't keep things at work, carrying it shouldn't be too bad. Try to plan the lighter clothes to wear on days of your commute, so it's lighter on your back. Also, if you can keep an extra pair of shoes under your desk, that could save some weight.

Good luck and enjoy your commute!!

DebW
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
On days when you are going to work by car, drop off a towel, shower items, a pair of shoes, and maybe a few sets of clothes. Then you can carry less when you ride. Hopefully you have an almost empty desk drawer to store such things in. If you need to lock your bike outside, leave the lock attached to the bike rack (or whatever you lock to) overnight and don't carry it back and forth. Or keep the bike in your office during the day if you can.

cherinyc
06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks SalsaMTB- I have heard of others who keep many pairs of their "work" shoes at their desk. I guess I am concerned about getting to my desk to gather my stuff ie walking around in my bike shorts.
I don't know what it is about those shorts that makes me so insecure:o
thanks for the advice

cherinyc
06-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I thought about maybe getting a large snap top tupperware I could bring in to the office when I drive - but, I will haveto think it out or I will end up with everything I own at the office, and nothing at home.

velogirl
06-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks SalsaMTB- I have heard of others who keep many pairs of their "work" shoes at their desk. I guess I am concerned about getting to my desk to gather my stuff ie walking around in my bike shorts.
I don't know what it is about those shorts that makes me so insecure:o
thanks for the advice

Get a little wrap skirt that you can throw on over your shorts while you walk to your desk. I've got some really small skirts that fold into the size of a wallet.

Grog
06-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Hum, I may be in the far left field, but...

it's a 5 mile commute, right?

You could totally take it easy. At a relaxed pace, it will be maybe 30-45 minutes, that's not very long, and can be totally sweatless if there are no big hills and you take it easy. You can always go harder when you come back home at night.

What others said about carrying gear is great. I would avoid a backpack as much as possible, it's not very comfortable and will definitely make your back sweat. Some light panniers or just a "trunk" will probably be good enough...

I'm happy you chose a bike commute. Enjoy!

light_sabe_r
06-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Cherinyc thanks for brining the topic up. Just about to do the same thing.

I also live in a VERY hot and humid part of the world. (even during winter according to the melbourners) but at work it's ALWAYS FREEZING cause of the bloody air conditioner!!

So my tips are
*keep a jacket over the back of your chair at work... Or sweater or jumper. Saves you bringing one in everyday
*Try "Iron free" stuff as much as possible
*Keep cereal or juices at work to scoff down when you get there
*Try and "mix n match" your wardrobe where possible. That way you can LEAVE your pants at work and bring in a fresh shirt the next day ^_^
*If you use a laptop, Invest in a spare power cables/chargers and leave one at home and one at work. That way you can JUST take the laptop home.
* have money at work in a jar for a taxi or bus incase it's RAINING when you leave work one day.

As for the hair... Dry it with a towel then put it in A Ponytail whilst Apply some smothing serum as you're done. Sure your hair may still be wet but the serum stops it frizzing out during the day. ^_^

farrellcollie
06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
I commute 4-5 miles each way - I wear regular shorts and tshirt in summer and change clothes in my office. In fall and winter I often just wear my work clothes (I teach) I keep a bar of soap and a washcloth and anti-perspirant at desk to rinse off with and reapply. I shower before riding in - keep pace slow to kee p from getting way sweaty. In the summer - in humid midwest - I get sweaty but this seems to work. I wear wicking underwear or I would change - cotton stays too wet. I keep shoes and belt at work - or I would forget them. I have a bike for commuting that I have a rack on - I hate to carry stuff on my back - even for a short ride. THere are also baskets that might fit over handlebars if you don't want a rack.

Granny M
06-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I commute 9 miles each way in the hot, humid midwest. I've done the backpack thing and, well, I've learned to take clothes to work on the days I drive and have invested in soap, deoderant, extra makeup, etc that I leave at work so I could leave the backpack at home. The money I save in gas pays for those things. I have a bag for my handlebars that I stick my lunch, wallet, phone and work keys in. As far as the bike shorts, I used to feel self conscious too until I went to my first organized ride. Don't feel self-couscious about those shorts. You're doing something good for yourself and you're staying active and healthy which I bet is a lot more than the person who would make a comment about your shorts!

cherinyc
06-27-2006, 09:12 AM
with everyone's suggestions, I think I am starting to form a plan. One thing I can't seem to grasp, is how the handlebar bag is supposed to fit on the bike. Are they primarily made for commuter bikes only?
Also - I like the idea of the wrap, or cover skirt to throw on over my shorts.

makbike
06-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I commute 2 miles to work 3 days a week (when school is in session). On the days I drive (due to second job) I pack in my clothes, shoes, etc for the next day and lock them in my classroom closet. I keep a washcloth, soap, deodorant, etc in my closet at all times. So on the days I do commute I simply have to carry my lunch and any papers I carried home with me the night before to grade. At the end of the day I simply pack my clothes, shoes, etc in my panniers for the return trip home.

Granny M
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I have my handlebar bag from my old hybrid that I put on my road bike for commutes. It doesn't fit perfectly but it works and sure beats a backpack!

cherinyc
06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
sorry makbike - I am new at this -what's a pannier?

weathergal
06-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm not makbike, but a pannier is one of these (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=66&subcategory=1004&brand=&sku=6997&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=).
They are basically like the saddlebags on a horse fitting over your rear rack or the front wheel.

I have a handlbar bag that I put on my road bike, a Trek "Bike 'n Hike" one that can convert to a fanny pack. It fits well enough, but I haven't used it for commuting and I don't know if it would be big enough for that purpose.

cherinyc
06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
gosh the pannier looks big - but I would much rather have that on the bike than on my back. my boyfriend seems to cringe when i mention having a bag, or rack on my bike - he chooses to carry his laptop, clothes, etc - in a bag that he carries on his back - he recently tried a new messenger type bag, and then got an Osprey (hiking?) backpack to try to distribute the weight differently. I am just afraid of adding weight to myself - which will add to my down momentum if I fall, or cause me to be off-balance in the first place.
is there something that can be taken on and off - when you are commuting, or just riding?

SalsaMTB
06-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Topeak makes a rack you can mount to your seatpost and uses a quick release so it's easy to take on and off. They have a rail system on the rack to go with their bags. It's not a HUGE bag, but large enough to hold a lunch, tools, deoderant, wash cloth, other small things. Not big enough for me to fit all my clothes and shoes in though. It's really easy to put on and off the bag, so you can take it in to work. The actual rack has a 20 pound weight limit. It could work if you are not planning on bringing all your clothes to work.

http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/bags/bagsmain.php
http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/racks/mtxbeamrack.php

velogirl
06-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Nobody's mentioned baby wipes. If your commute is short enough that you don't require a shower, you can just baby wipe off (face, arms, legs, etc), apply deodorant, brush your hair and go!

Grog
06-27-2006, 10:19 PM
gosh the pannier looks big - but I would much rather have that on the bike than on my back. my boyfriend seems to cringe when i mention having a bag, or rack on my bike - he chooses to carry his laptop, clothes, etc - in a bag that he carries on his back - he recently tried a new messenger type bag, and then got an Osprey (hiking?) backpack to try to distribute the weight differently. I am just afraid of adding weight to myself - which will add to my down momentum if I fall, or cause me to be off-balance in the first place.
is there something that can be taken on and off - when you are commuting, or just riding?

You should check whether you new road bike can take panniers or not. The racier bikes usually can't...

Dok-torr
06-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Hiya
Lots of inetresting and useful tips, ladies.
I have been riding to work for a few years now (includes the UK and New Zealand). I tend to average around 20 to 25 km each way at the moment ( I have two hospitals I am based at) and have to get around the "I don't have a permanent locker" too.

I use a panier to keep some weight off the shoulders, but on my racer I would probably have a seat-post based bag (they can take up to 8-10kg and can be bought online if your LBS does not stock them).
I manage to take clean top, trousers, shoes etc on a daily basis in a small, light back-pack. I use sample sized shower gel bottles (or ones from hotel stays that can be refilled) travel deopderants and mini face cream pots etc. It is relatively easy to do and look smart (I am a doctor and need to look the part in clinics) I feel great every day because I arrive all endorphined and pious!

The other option of, taking it easy on the way to work is valid if the distance is short, but nothing beats that fresh just-showered, just- exercised feeling.

Keep trying alternatives and settle on what works for you.

DebW
07-10-2006, 01:54 PM
We mentioned leaving clothes at work so you can carry less on your commute. I'll add a caution that it helps to REMEMBER what clothes you have at work. I rode in today thinking that I had a pair of pants and 3 shirts at work. I did have 3 shirts. Had to spend the day in my bike shorts. Not really a problem but I would have preferred a pair of pants.

emily_in_nc
07-10-2006, 04:20 PM
We mentioned leaving clothes at work so you can carry less on your commute. I'll add a caution that it helps to REMEMBER what clothes you have at work. I rode in today thinking that I had a pair of pants and 3 shirts at work. I did have 3 shirts. Had to spend the day in my bike shorts. Not really a problem but I would have preferred a pair of pants.

Heheh, what kind of job do you have? I work in a casual workplace and can get away with certain types of shorts (conservative), but couldn't get away with bike shorts. :eek: Not many of us could, I'll wager! Glad you were able to!

Emily

DebW
07-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Heheh, what kind of job do you have? I work in a casual workplace and can get away with certain types of shorts (conservative), but couldn't get away with bike shorts. :eek: Not many of us could, I'll wager! Glad you were able to!

Emily

I do atmospheric science, which means I sit in a private office and talk to my computer most of the day. Scientists aren't known to be snappy dressers, and even business professional is beyond most of us. Besides, these folks are used to me walking into the building in cycling clothes as I push my bike into my office. I did shower and change into a polo shirt.

Geonz
07-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I've ridden in and made myself into a complete lather - and twice those have been the days when, OOPS, the clothes aren't in the bag!
Off to the college bookstore... generally sweats, but better than sweat!

crazycanuck
07-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Don't forget your bra at home either....or else you'll be sitting round in a cycling bra that's ickily sweaty...

(that was me a couple of weeks ago...good thing i didn't forget my underwear...)

c

Bex
07-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I've forgotten my bra twice in the last 18 months that I've been commuting, and had to wear the sweaty jog bra all day long. And there was the day I got caught in a downpour, and although my work clothes were completely dry in their plastic drawstring bag inside my rack trunk, I had forgotten dry underwear :eek: So, had my first experience with going commando at work ... :o Since then I've just made a practice of carrying fresh undies every day - much nicer to go ahead and change those too after a ride.

I carry my clothes every day since I ride every day, but I do keep my shoes and toiletries at work. No shower available, so I do a thorough baby wipes spongedown, and I also keep some lovely eucalyptus foot spray at work. I gave up on a backpack long ago, too hot and sometimes too heavy on my back. I have a rack and use an expandable Epic TransIt trunk (it has velcro straps to attach to the rack). I can stop on the way home from work, pick up a gallon of milk and carry that home in the trunk (after having moved my work clothes to the plastic grocery bag, tied to the handlebar).

Riding to work is fantastic, I love it. None of those early morning sleepies after having ridden 8 miles to work.

RoadRaven
07-22-2006, 12:54 PM
mmm-hmm
mmm-hmm

what everyone else said...

I confiscated a set of unused drawers from another desk, rolled it under mine, and have three drawers, one for clothes, one for my ablutions (soap, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, deodourant, "feminie hygiene products"), and one for quick food - bars, sports shake drinks (plenty of milk in office fridge) and soups...

tulip
07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
My commute is 14 miles each way through the muck that is Washington, DC humidity, so a shower is essential for me. I'll tell you want I do and what I have learned in my four years of bike commuting. Maybe it will help.

I get to work early and go up the back way so few people see me. I'm not trying to hide, but wish to remain as low-key as possible. I keep a small hairdryer and essentials in the shower room, but you could keep them in a tupperware thing at your desk along with a towel.

I definitely recommend looking into panniers. You have to determine if you have dropouts (attaching holes) on your bike that will accept a rack. Panniers come in various sizes. Alternately, you could look into a trunk bag. If you will be lugging a laptop to and fro, panniers will keep the weight on your bike and off your back. Also, laptops should be protected. My Arkel Briefcase pannier (www.arkel-od.com) is great, but not cheap. I prefer to leave my computer at work, but sometimes I need it at home.

I leave a couple of pairs of shoes at work, too. One black pair and one blue pair. That generally covers all that I will need to coordinate. Oh, and back up undies and bra, just in case you forget (I have forgotten, and I'm so glad the backups were there!)

Ironing and starching blouses, folding them neatly, and wrapping them in dry cleaner bags will keep them smooth and amazingly wrinkle free in a pannier. If you really want, you could make a blouse sandwich between two pieces of cardboard (along with the plastic bag).

Good luck and have fun. Commuting makes me more energetic, positive, and productive at work. A bike ride is a great way to start the day (and end on a high note!)

mimitabby
07-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi, I know what you mean about being in bike uniform at work... we have staggered shifts here (people start at 530, 6, 630 , 7, 8, etc...)
so I can't really come and go without SOMEONE seeing me. But they all know I rode the bike in and they have gotten used to it just as they would if i was riding a motorcycle (They have a lot of stuff to put on and take off!!)
When you're only wearing this stuff when you are coming and going, they will associate it with your commute, not your daily outfit!

I have a 4 mile each way commute too, and yes, 4 miles IS enough to work you into a sweat if there's a hill. But lucky for me, MY hill is downhill to work and uphill HOME so I get home totally drenched..
but i get hill practice every day i commute!

mimitabby
07-23-2006, 06:10 AM
where in NJ are you commuting? oh wait, Princeton area, right?

Triskeliongirl
07-25-2006, 05:02 AM
You might want to try a carradice sqr slim bag (holds a laptop, lunch, etc.). It has seat post clamp that stays on the bike, but then the bag is easily removable. It will work even on a racing bike, but its best to not use it with a carbon seatpost. I have 2 seatposts, a carbon one for fast riding, and an aluminum one with my carradice clamp on, so I just have to swap out seatpost/saddles for different styles of riding. I am lucky, I have a lockerroom with showers at work where I store my clothes and toilet articles. Terry wrapper skorts are great though, if you need a cover up while you walk to your desk.

Bloodsng
08-14-2006, 12:09 PM
I ride my bike to work every day and use it to go shopping ......I put a school boy book rack on the back and then mounted 2 baskets so far I have hualded over 150 pounds so a suit case with a few cloths a squirt bottel of Jean nate and some make up would not be that big of a load to carry ....the water pistol is in a holster and is loaded with amonia water for the local dogs that use to chase me it is easy simple cheep and will not hurt the dogs or me.
Blood

Bloodsng
08-14-2006, 12:14 PM
another view