PDA

View Full Version : Ohmigod, I just bought a Titus Racer X!

emily_in_nc
06-25-2006, 04:53 PM
I almost can't believe I did this, but I am so excited! I have posted a couple of questions in this forum in the last week as I am new to mountain biking, but have been road riding for years. I've been enjoying riding with a friend lately, and just in the past week I started researching full-suspension mtbs online thinking that "next year" I might want to upgrade. (I have a heavy, entry-level hardtail that I discovered yesterday weighs 32 lbs, and I weigh under 105, so it's pretty hard to haul her up the hills, and the bumps hurt in back!) I quickly fell in bike lust with the Santa Cruz Juliana and the Titus Racer X, especially the latter, which so many here rave about (as do the reviews on mtbr.com). But there's no way I could justify the cost of either bike new at this early stage in my mtb riding life.

Well, I started searching on ebay, and you know what that can lead to....the crazies! There was a nice-looking Juliana (size small) I was interested in, but when I emailed the seller about the weight, it turned out to weigh nearly 27 lbs - lighter, but not fantastic. Then, late last night, I found a newly listed Titus Racer X in an XS frame, 24 lbs. Ohmigod, I hardly slept last night. It was not a regular auction but in an ebay store for a fixed price, so I knew it could sell at any minute. I was a bundle of nerves because the price was amazing, it was my size, and I knew what a fantastic bike it was from everything I'd read just in the past few days. AND, I'd just gotten a bonus at work equal to the price of the bike! I was so scared someone else would buy it at any minute, before I was absolutely sure I should be its next owner.

Today I asked the seller a few questions; he responded promptly and was extremely helpful, and with some amount of fear and trepidation, matched only by utter joy and excitement, I bought it! Check it out here and let me know how I did:

My new baby (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230001430778&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)

Oooh, I cannot wait to get her! I need to come up with a name, of course, and I plan to take her to the local Titus dealer here for a front shock overhaul and adjustments, but hopefully within a couple of weeks, I'll be riding her. I'm truly unworthy of this level of bike with my extremely newbie skills, but I can't wait to start riding more and improving. With this bike, I know I'll want to ride lots!

YIPPEE!!! :D

Emily

SadieKate
06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm truly unworthy of this level of bike with my extremely newbie skills, but I can't wait to start riding more and improving. With this bike, I know I'll want to ride lots!Nobody is ever "unworthy" of a bike as long as they ride it. You'll progress faster on lightweight FS and have so much fun you'll hardly believe it. Congratulations!

Kathi
06-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Wow! Lucky you, happy riding! :)

wavedancer
06-25-2006, 07:36 PM
She looks just like mine in shiny silver, and she will love helping you ride better :D

I know the "I am unworthy" routine...You'll get over it as soon as you ride her. Congratulations!

Linda

fatbottomedgurl
06-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Have fun!!! My ol' hardtail weighs 32 lbs. Give us a report after your first ride!:)

Nanci
06-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Wow, she looks good! I'm glad you're getting into MTBing- you're in my favorite state for that!

Nanci

bouncybouncy
06-26-2006, 05:37 AM
very nice!!! i ride a julianna and hubby says if he knew i would be THIS into mtbing he would have gone with the racer-x...although i am now lusting after the turner nitrous (aaaawwww.....someday!!!!) my julianna has been a gem and would not trade'em for anything right now!!!! you are gonna LOOOOOVE the squish and responsiveness...

i have ridden with a few racer-x riders and they are definitely in love with their rides as i am sure you will be soon!!!....congrats and *again* welcome to the DIRTY side...hahahahahahaha:D

does my memory serve me right in that you are a pink lover??? if so click link....BEWARE!!!! more ebay craziness!!!! if you don't like pink just move on....:p

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chris-King-Headset-1-inch-threaded-Pink-Bike_W0QQitemZ7250963004QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

emily_in_nc
06-26-2006, 06:25 AM
does my memory serve me right in that you are a pink lover??? if so click link....BEWARE!!!! more ebay craziness!!!! if you don't like pink just move on....:p
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chris-King-Headset-1-inch-threaded-Pink-Bike_W0QQitemZ7250963004QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yes, you have a great memory BB - that's me! I have seen these headsets - very sweet! :p

Glad you approve of my new ride (and all you other sweet gals too). I am so stoked!

Emily

mimitabby
06-26-2006, 08:00 AM
very nice!!! i ride a julianna and hubby says if he knew i would be THIS into mtbing he would have gone with the racer-x...although i am now lusting after the turner nitrous (aaaawwww.....someday!!!!)

okay, i give up, what IS IT FOR??
Congrats on your new ebay bike!

SadieKate
06-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Mimi, are you asking what a headset is? What is confusing you?

Anyone with a quill stem? This is a thread headset. Probably not many of these around.

mimitabby
06-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Mimi, are you asking what a headset is? What is confusing you?

Anyone with a quill stem? This is a thread headset. Probably not many of these around.

yes. Is that the thing the handlebars sit on?

SadieKate
06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
The headset sits inside the head tube of your frame. The steerer tube for the fork and, in this case, the quill (threaded) stem sit inside it. The bearings are inside it so that your bars/stem/fork can turn.

With a threadless headset (which are used on most higher end bikes - except for the Rivendell nut crowd), the steering tube for the fork extends above the headset and the stem clamps around the steering tube.

Is that all clear as mud? Sheldon Brown probably has better explanations.

bouncybouncy
06-26-2006, 08:38 AM
ooops....my bad! at work so i tend to be a little hasty with my clicks...there is a threadless headset as well...if i don't resist temptation and pull out the plastic first....

sorry for the confusion!

DirtDiva
06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
You lucky, lucky girl. Wish someone would give me a full suspension sized bonus! :p

Trekhawk
06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Ooohh nice bike. Have fun hitting the trails Emily.:)

snowtulip
06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Congratulations! You are so worthy of that bike!:D

emily_in_nc
06-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Congratulations! You are so worthy of that bike!:D

Aw shucks, thanks!!! :o

As for that pink threaded Chris King headset, if they'd made them at the time, I surely would have had one put on my raspberry Aegis Swift, as she is an older frame (1999) and has a quill stem. But alas, I had to settle for a silver Chris King. It's too nice and new (I had the bike built in 2004) to change out just for a different (better!!!) color, but believe me, if the timing had been different....!

Emily

Kathi
06-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Aw shucks, thanks!!! :o

As for that pink threaded Chris King headset, if they'd made them at the time, I surely would have had one put on my raspberry Aegis Swift, as she is an older frame (1999) and has a quill stem. But alas, I had to settle for a silver Chris King. It's too nice and new (I had the bike built in 2004) to change out just for a different (better!!!) color, but believe me, if the timing had been different....!

Emily

Emily,

Are you following my footsteps? After I got my Aegis Swift I loved it so much I wanted a mtn bike with a similiar ride feel and fit so I bought the Racer X. Aegis didn't make a mtn bike small enough for me.

However, if you are following my footsteps :) you're in trouble since I've ordered a Serotta Ottrott (custom).

http://www.serotta.com/pages/ottrott.html

emily_in_nc
06-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Emily,

Are you following my footsteps? After I got my Aegis Swift I loved it so much I wanted a mtn bike with a similiar ride feel and fit so I bought the Racer X. Aegis didn't make a mtn bike small enough for me.

However, if you are following my footsteps :) you're in trouble since I've ordered a Serotta Ottrott (custom).

http://www.serotta.com/pages/ottrott.html

Wow, that's a beaut! But, a leetle out of my price range! :cool:

Actually, I'm not doing any road riding at all right now (I posted about that in this thread (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7565&highlight=twist)). So I am not tempted by road bikes at the moment. I've definitely found a new love in mountain biking, though! Neat that we both have a Swift and now a Racer-X. We must have been separated at birth! :D

Enjoy your Serotta!!!! :)

Emily

Kathi
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow, that's a beaut! But, a leetle out of my price range! :cool:

Actually, I'm not doing any road riding at all right now (I posted about that in this thread (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7565&highlight=twist)). So I am not tempted by road bikes at the moment. I've definitely found a new love in mountain biking, though! Neat that we both have a Swift and now a Racer-X. We must have been separated at birth! :D

Enjoy your Serotta!!!! :)

Emily

Ironically, I'm road riding, but not mtn biking. There's too much risk of falling and tearing my ACL graft (surgery Feb. 28th) so the Titus is hanging in the garage.

All this talk here about the Racer X has me itching to ride it so I'm going to do an easy gravel trail called Waterton Canyon on Thursday.

Sounds like its been a rough year for both of us, I lost my mother in Aug. and tore my ACL in Jan. It was such an awesome ski season too!

As far as getting back on the road bike, take it slow but do it. Go someplace peaceful. Acknowledge your fear but don't let it overcome you. Take it in baby steps.

I broke my wrist mtn biking (maybe I shouldn't tell you that) and it was a good 16 weeks before I could ride. I was so scared, I felt wobbly and thought sure I would fall and break my wrist again. Slowly, I gained confidence and was back on both bikes.

When I went back to riding after my ACL surgery, I did little loops around the neighborhood until I felt confident enough to go farther. I was very unsure of crossing streets, stopping at stop signs, other riders, etc. Yesterday, I did my 1st group ride and it went very well. I had to ride with platform pedals in case I fell but my ortho let me go back to clipless pedals 2 weeks ago. I still unclip whenever I feel uncomfortable, much more than I did before my injury.

Anyway, enjoy your Titus, it's an awesome little bike!

emily_in_nc
06-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Kathi,

Thanks for sharing your story - we really do have a few things in common. Glad you're doing well now after your surgery. And I am so sorry for the loss of your mother; losing a parent unexpectedly is simply the most difficult life challenge that I've ever experienced.

I do hope I can avoid breaking any bones on the mountain bike, but at least it doesn't trigger my fear response. Perhaps I will go back to road riding one day, but right now the desire just isn't there. My husband was getting burned out on riding too, and my quitting gave him an excuse to quit himself (he's happily hiking and running now instead). Unless he gets back to road riding, I'm unlikely to, as it was always a shared activity for us. I don't want too many separate activities! I am starting to work on getting him into mountain biking at the moment.... :cool:

Emily

Kathi
06-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Emily,

I lost my father in my mid twenties and that was so hard. I was not the same after that, for some reason, it forced me to "grow up".

With my mtn biking, I did the opposite of you after I broke my wrist, I had no desire to ride off road. I was willing to ride rails to trails but I had a very difficult time getting back to mtn biking. Plus, my SO had gone through a series of injuries and I didn't want to ride without him.

I realized how much I missed it and made myself, without him, go and ride. I finally got over my fear. I even took a women's clinic, it was so much fun.

Last summer was crazy for us so I thought this would be my big mtn biking year, now that we're settled here in Colorado. There are women's groups to ride with and so much more mtn biking here than what I had in Cincy but it's not to be. :(

Anyway, welcome back and become an outstanding mtn biker on your RacerX