PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Throwers

Deborajen
06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
My husband, son and I were all out on a ride yesterday. We were out in the country on a nice, wide two-lane road with shoulders that were almost a full lane wade. It's a very popular area for local cyclists because it's so nice and open - no conflicts with car traffic.

We were enjoying the ride - husband and son a little ways ahead of me - and a car with a couple of young men came up from behind us. They passed me and then the passenger threw a large restaurant cup full of pop and ice directly at my husband and son. It was obviously very deliberate. It didn't hit them, thankfully, although it came very close to my husband's feet.

Since we then saw the car turn and head into a nearby small town, my husband made a police report and the officers (county) were going to chat with the town's officer - at least put a bug on the radar screen. Two guys in a mid-sized red car - that's about all we got, but sometimes that makes a difference in a small town.

However - in spite of that nasty assault, we did have a good ride. It was the best weather we'd had in quite some time - in the 80's, very little wind - beautiful.

Deb

Ciao
06-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear that you kept a good attitude and didn't let it spoil your outing.

Veronica
06-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I had a beer can thrown at me once and I was totally covered with it. I can't stand beer (yeah... I know, I'm crazy:D ) so I was absolutely disgusted by the event. I think that was my last ride for about 6 years.

V.

Trek420
06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Veronica "I think that was my last ride for about 6 years."

I guess that's their goal :mad:

Veronica
06-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Ahhh... but it would never work now! I still detest beer, but I LOVE to ride now. Back then, it was Thom's thing.

V.

Trek420
06-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes and 6 years later the folks who threw the beer are probably suffering all the ill effects of a sedentary lifestyle while you are riding doubles :)

doc
06-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Deborajen

Grrrrr. I am so mad on your behalf. That is the kind of thing that would keep me up at night. How could throwing a cup of soda/ice on a father and son (that you have never laid eyes on before) innocently riding their bike be a "good idea"? It is so mean, thoughtless, hurtful, destructive... I could go on and on.

Glad no one was hurt!

Deborajen
06-25-2006, 05:53 PM
How could throwing a cup of soda/ice on a father and son (that you have never laid eyes on before) innocently riding their bike be a "good idea"? It is so mean, thoughtless, hurtful, destructive...

My thoughts exactly. Plus they know they got away with it since the cops didn't actually see it.

What's ironic, though, is that most of the small towns in the area have community baseball/softball teams that are a big deal - lots of pride involved - and that guy's throw missed an easy target. :D That part served him right, anyway. Maybe he sprained his elbow in the process, too. :p

And, yes, too bad for them we still had a nice ride.

Deb

Deanna
06-26-2006, 08:18 AM
I've had things thrown at me a few times. It doesn't bother me THAT much as they always miss. Apparently the same mental defect that causes supposed grownups to throw things at other people also makes them unable to compensate for the movement of their car and my bike.