PDA

View Full Version : Training for a tour.

plantluvver
06-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I just heard of a tour I would like to try in late August. Anyone have good links for training for such a thing?

Right now my max ride was (I'm guessiing) about 15 miles, over flat terrain. About 7.5 miles each way, about 2 hour break. Ended ride with last mile in lowest gear, and thighs feeling wobbly.

Tour is 8 days about 35-40 miles per day.

I have unlimited time to train, my limiting factor has been organization and motivation. I also have bike issues to resolve, but these can be more quickly remedied than the "engine overhaul". A group tour is much different than something like a century.

Anyone have any good links or other references for tour training? I can take some training rides with the organizers, so I will let them make ultimate decision on my suitability. The tour would be good motivation to spend time in the saddle.

The question is whether this is even remotely feasible?
Mary

Dogmama
06-24-2006, 02:41 AM
Mary, honestly - that is quite a stretch. I did an 8 day/65 mile/day tour once and before I went, I was riding several consecutive days ~ 50 miles/day.

The thing that really hurt after about 6 days was the "nether regions." I honestly did not know how I was going to ride the last couple of days - it was shear determination to finish. And I had good shorts, saddle, custom bike, etc. But (pun intended!) 4 hours in the saddle for 6 days = 24 hours.

I agree that training *for* something helps motivate. Is there something else you can set your sights on that would be a one day ride?

MomOnBike
06-24-2006, 08:20 AM
There is a world of difference between 65 miles/day and 35-40.

I think you should go for it. I find I'm much more apt to regret the things I don't do, as opposed to the things I do.

Now, to train, hmmm. {emoticon with gears turning and steam coming out ears}

You've got a month and a half to whip yourself into shape. Do that 15 mile ride again, daily. Then start adding loops to the ride to add mileage. Or find a different (longer) route. Look for some hills and ride them, too. Explore your city some, let your training be a sort of mini-tour. Be sure to have at least one ride of the maximum mileage planned on the tour. (This one's for your head, not your legs) The advice I read most often is to add about 10% of your mileage weekly. I think that would get you there.

One thing, don't let weather stop a planned training ride. Yucky weather won't stop a tour, you might as well get used to riding in it. (Within reason, of course, stay inside during tornadoes & the like.)

You might also consider doing some core training. Pilates or yoga or dumb old situps and pushups. They can't hurt, and will most likely help.

Enjoy yourself, and let us know how the tour went.

emily_in_nc
06-24-2006, 02:10 PM
My husband and I did a nine-day tour in upstate NY a couple of years ago (link if you are interested: Barry and Emily's Bike Tour (http://home.earthlink.net/~emilys7/bike_tour_2004_main.htm)). We averaged around 63 miles per day, which is more than you'll be doing on your tour, and we carried all our own luggage, which you probably won't be doing; that makes for slower and more difficult going. The best training tip I can give you is make sure you are doing several back-to-back rides on consecutive days. You need to toughen up your butt and legs to be able to cope with the day-in-day-out grind of a tour. Since we'd be riding for nine days straight, we did five consecutive days a couple of times while training to get used to that. It got pretty old to grind out those miles while training, but on the tour it was no problem with all the new scenery and sights to see. On weekends we'd do between 45 and 65 mile rides each day, and during the week, we'd do 25-35 milers after work. For the distances you'll be doing, you'll probly want to work up to 30-35 mile weekend rides (and yes, I mean both days) and 20-25 milers on a few weekdays. If you aren't able to do this fairly soon, you might not be ready for the tour this season.

You say you've been riding mostly on flat terrain. If the tour is on hilly or rolling terrain, you really need to ride on that type of terrain beforehand, and as much as possible. Riding on flats is a completely different experience than riding hills.

The other advice I'd give you is to resolve your bike issues ASAP. If you are getting a new bike, or trading out some component(s), you need to do this soon so that you will be training on the same equipment you'll be riding. Also figure out your clothing/gear needs; i.e., will you need to wash out shorts at night or do you need a clean pair for each day, do you have enough jerseys, socks, sports bras, and the like.

Good luck! Touring is very rewarding, but does take commitment and motivation. I hope you are able to do it - please keep us posted!

Emily

Blueberry
06-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Emily-

Love the new pic pic:)

Carrie Anne